Where next? How about Central Park?

Rock

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/where_next_how_about_central_park_LPysyHzAWgMKtKHtxpuzSL/1

There can’t be a game at Yankee Stadium because of the Pinstripe Bowl, and there won’t be a game at Citi Field. Let’s face it, it’s just not a sexy enough venue. Beyond that, even with the bitter fallout of the Ilya Kovalchuk affair, it is difficult to imagine the NHL having the Rangers as the home team at the Meadowlands while the Devils twiddle their thumbs.

If the event is about gate receipts, it won’t be coming to New York for some time. But if it’s as much about finding the perfect backdrop for television, if it is about the setting as much as it is about marquee teams, then Central Park would be the perfect venue.

Look, we’d be fine with the Rangers and Devils or even the Rangers and Islanders, but please, television won’t allow a single-market game. So if the game can be played in New York, if the focus changes from gate revenue to romance, if Central Park is the place and the skyline is the dramatic backdrop for television, then it’s the Rangers and the Flyers or the Rangers and Penguins.

If they can build a rink on Sheep’s Meadow with temporary stands seating up to 20,000 — people will come. If they play the Winter Classic in New York, people will notice.

interesting idea, but it can't happen because of that 20k number. getting a minimum 50k to see the game at very inflated ticket prices is a huge windfall for the NHL

coors or invesco in denver can get it - but i can appreciate that the Avs might not be that great a draw. in that case, have the Rangers play them.

detroit again @ comerica (weak) or Michigan - interesting but been done already.

caps again @ RFK - i suppose. the talk of doing it on the mall is the same as central park though.

would they do columbus v. nyr @ Ohio State? could be something.

interesting idea, but it can't happen because of that 20k number. getting a minimum 50k to see the game at very inflated ticket prices is a huge windfall for the NHL

coors or invesco in denver can get it - but i can appreciate that the Avs might not be that great a draw. in that case, have the Rangers play them.

detroit again @ comerica (weak) or Michigan - interesting but been done already.

caps again @ RFK - i suppose. the talk of doing it on the mall is the same as central park though.

would they do columbus v. nyr @ Ohio State? could be something.

I think this is the last year it's not played at some place with virtually guaranteed sub-freezing weather. NYC, DC and Philadelphia would be out.

They could do Detroit vs. anyone in Ann Arbor. Got 100k for a college game there. Could also do something at Target Field.

Or maybe go Rocky IV style and do the game outdoors in Siberia.

Citi Field would be a perfect Winter Classic venue imho. The fact that it's a bit more compact means great sightlines, plus you've got the overhang in right field and the higher wall in left...it would be great for hockey

Edited by '7'

Assuming no repeat in venue (but possibility of repeat in teams) possibilities are (purely from a climate and venue standpoint)

Realistically:

New York @ Citi

New Jersey @ New Meadowlands

Philadelphia @ Lincoln Financial or Citizens Bank

Washington @ RKF or FedEx or Nationals Park

Detroit @ Comerica or the Big House

Columbus @ the Horseshoe

Minnesota @ Target or U of Minnesota

St. Louis @ Busch

Colorado @ Coors or Invesco

Longshot:

Nashville @ LP

Carolina @ NC State football Stadium

Ridiculous Dark Horse:

San Jose @ Oakland Coliseum or AT&T or Candlestick

My money is on New York, but may the Isles get pissed since Citi Field is closer to them than the Rags?

officially it's called the new meadowlands http://www.newmeadowlandsstadium.com/ I think you might be suffering from some kind of delusions

Yes, I know what it is "officially called". The Devils play at a building officially called the "Prudential Center", however most people I talk to refer to it as "THE ROCK". Same thing with the "New Meadowland Stadium". Most people still refer to it as GIANTS STADIUM. I know this stings you as a bitter Jets fan, but that is the way it is.

Yes, I know what it is "officially called". The Devils play at a building officially called the "Prudential Center", however most people I talk to refer to it as "THE ROCK". Same thing with the "New Meadowland Stadium". Most people still refer to it as GIANTS STADIUM. I know this stings you as a bitter Jets fan, but that is the way it is.

nope, most people call it the new meadowlands...and besides it will have a corporate name soon. I mean I could call it the "Michael Vick caused the Giants to have the biggest gag job in NFL history Stadium" and I would be just as accurate as what you call it.

In fact...I think I'll start calling it that. Can't wait for the winter classic at the Michael Vick caused the Giants to have the biggest gag job in NFL history Stadium

For anyone recommending or thinking about RFK then you haven't been there in a very long time. I was there again over the summer for a Red Bulls game. The place is literally falling apart, we were in the upper deck and you could clearly feel the stands shaking from just 50 or so fans jumping up and down. I would be scared to be there with the place sold out.

nope, most people call it the new meadowlands...and besides it will have a corporate name soon. I mean I could call it the "Michael Vick caused the Giants to have the biggest gag job in NFL history Stadium" and I would be just as accurate as what you call it.

In fact...I think I'll start calling it that. Can't wait for the winter classic at the Michael Vick caused the Giants to have the biggest gag job in NFL history Stadium

So funny! Good one, you should be a comedian. Don't be upset, just deal with it. NOBODY I know calls it "The New Meadowlands". That is an absurd name. Even if it gets a corporate name, guess what? People will STILL call it GIANTS Stadium! Now go celebrate the Jets victory over the Bills....

So funny! Good one, you should be a comedian. Don't be upset, just deal with it. NOBODY I know calls it "The New Meadowlands". That is an absurd name. Even if it gets a corporate name, guess what? People will STILL call it GIANTS Stadium! Now go celebrate the Jets victory over the Bills....

just like they still call it the montreal forum and chicago stadium...oh yea, they don't.

Because those were historic arenas while Vagiants stadium was a nondescript concrete toilet bowl best known for possibly containing the remains of jimmy hoffa and herman edwards running back a pisarcik fumble. If those historic names are not preserved, then certainly the name of the old dump won't be either

get over it already

Because those were historic arenas while Vagiants stadium was a nondescript concrete toilet bowl best known for possibly containing the remains of jimmy hoffa and herman edwards running back a pisarcik fumble. If those historic names are not preserved, then certainly the name of the old dump won't be either

get over it already

It also was the home stadium of the 2007 Super Bowl Champions :lol:

So funny! Good one, you should be a comedian. Don't be upset, just deal with it. NOBODY I know calls it "The New Meadowlands". That is an absurd name. Even if it gets a corporate name, guess what? Delusional Giants fans will STILL call it GIANTS Stadium! Now go celebrate the Jets victory over the Bills....

Made a little correction there, hope you don't mind...

I'm celebrating the Jets victory. Happy I got to see it in person at New Meadowlands Stadium.

The Packers win was the icing on the cake though for a great day. :whistling:

Edited by mmajeski06

Made a little correction there, hope you don't mind...

I'm celebrating the Jets victory. Happy I got to see it in person at Jets Stadium.

The Packers win was the icing on the cake though for a great day. :whistling:

Jets Stadium IN YOUR DREAMS. The Jets will always be second fiddle, I don't need to remind you of that. Enjoy it, because the Joker Jets are one and done....