Rangers trade Rozsival to Phoenix for Wolski

RSC

it upsets me that the rangers' front-loading of deals allows them to wriggle out of bad contracts. it's a good strategy, and i wish the devils had pursued it with brian rolston. rozsival is only due $3MM next year but he's a 5M cap hit. gomez is going to be traded to a salary floor-ish team in 1-2 years as well, it's simply inevitable.

Not a bad trade for either team but deff in the favor of NY for, like stated above, filling the gap left by Frolov being done for the season.

Thank god I dont have to hear the Rangers sh!t commentators say "Rosenthal" all the damn time. :rolleyes:

Edited by Quinn01

it upsets me that the rangers' front-loading of deals allows them to wriggle out of bad contracts. it's a good strategy, and i wish the devils had pursued it with brian rolston.

We did it with Kovy but we'll have to wait ten years for the benefit of that one :lol:

It really is amazing though, the last truly bad contract they have now is Drury. It also pays to have a total pipeline to another organization's GM since Sather and Maloney like to trade with each other.

Edited by NJDevs4978

i'm totally on the other side. I think Rozival is a pretty darn good D man with offensive ability. Wolski is a one trick pony that will spend his entire stay in Tort's chateau bow-wow.

Rozsival went from being very underrated to overrated to underrated in the span of about 5 years. Losing Rozsival will hurt the rangers a lot more than they realize.

this move may hurt in the short-term, but it's certainly good in the longer term. my guess is that the rangers will now try to import a stay at home 2nd pair sort who's on a not too expensive contract. they have the cap room to do it.

its amazing how the rags keep unloading their mistakes at a good return or nearly ...

oh lou...

wolski isn't exactly a good return, and the devils' financial situation prevented this from becoming the norm. the rangers paid scott gomez $18 million over 2 years and then booted him out of new york.

I think this favors Phoenix by a pretty big margin. Rozival helps Phoenix with their blueline depth. This is Wolski's third team in two years, makes me wonder why. Unless Prospal is still not ready yet, this might not be a great move for the Rangers for this year.

The Rags are jeopardizing their playoff position going with a lot young and still learning defensemen.

I live in Phoenix and have had a chance to watch every Coyotes game this season so I thought I would chime in here...

Wolski is a perennial underachiever which is why Colorado, and now Phoenix has unloaded him. While he has potential, the time is running out on him to finally become a reliable scorer. Plus, he has a bit of a hot head and is ultimately why the Avs traded him in the first place.

Phoenix now has better depth on defense, which they have lacked since losing Zbynek Michalek to Pittsburgh. They needed a puck mover and someone they can slot into the powerplay and Roszival is that guy. Now they can give Lepisto, Schlemko, and Ekmann-Larsson some additional nights off, as the three have often rotated in and out of the third defensive pairing.

Good deal today for the Yotes, and in my opinion, if Tortorella can't get Wolski going now, nobody will, and he will be out of the NHL in a couple seasons.

Looks like the Rangers are gearing up for a free agent spending binge. Alexander Semin?

First off this move won't help them get a KovalCup which is all that matters. Secondly, I have a close friend who is a Rangers fan, like many of us do, and he said that the Rangers won't make any big Free-agent splash and they will keep sticking to their youth and building for the future.

I live in Phoenix and have had a chance to watch every Coyotes game this season so I thought I would chime in here...

Wolski is a perennial underachiever which is why Colorado, and now Phoenix has unloaded him. While he has potential, the time is running out on him to finally become a reliable scorer. Plus, he has a bit of a hot head and is ultimately why the Avs traded him in the first place.

Phoenix now has better depth on defense, which they have lacked since losing Zbynek Michalek to Pittsburgh. They needed a puck mover and someone they can slot into the powerplay and Roszival is that guy. Now they can give Lepisto, Schlemko, and Ekmann-Larsson some additional nights off, as the three have often rotated in and out of the third defensive pairing.

Good deal today for the Yotes, and in my opinion, if Tortorella can't get Wolski going now, nobody will, and he will be out of the NHL in a couple seasons.

Exactly my point. Even reading Sather's comments today makes it sound like Wolski is a pure crap shoot.

This is a poor move by the rags. Rozsival has been one of their top defensemen this year. Wolski is a highly overrated player. He defines the word 'soft'. I know the rags are desperate but surely they couldve found someone better when giving up Rozsival.

this move may hurt in the short-term, but it's certainly good in the longer term. my guess is that the rangers will now try to import a stay at home 2nd pair sort who's on a not too expensive contract. they have the cap room to do it.

Who cares what theyre doing 4 years from now considering they are a playoff team with hopes of going deep this year. This trade hurts their playoff ambitions.