Patty = All star representative

ghdi

Let's get this straight: NO ONE on the Devils is having what most of us would classify as a good season. Elias is just the least-smelly turd in the bowl.

That said, someone from every team goes. That's just how it is. You can argue the principle of it all you want, but that won't change it.

The least-smelly turd goes. And Patty is, BY FAR, the rosiest-smelling log on our steaming pile. It is what it is. I can understand Philly fans being upset, but I couldn't care less. In fact, anything that upsets Philly fans is A-OK in my book. They'll be in the playoffs this year while we sit around and pray Parise signs long-term. I'm sure they won't be shedding any tears for us then.

I agree with this entirely. The principle sucks but thats the way it is.

Tri's argument was that Elias was having a GOOD SEASON. My point is that he's having the "least embarrassing" season of the bunch.

Briere is merely an example - I too could care less if Philly and their fanbase rots in hell.

The real question is if this is any mark of things to come for Elias - remember this season started as "reuniting the magic of Arnott and Elias". We've been trying to a center for this guy for 3 seasons now since Gomer left (Zubrus, Rolston, Arnott). How much time is left on this $6M clock?

god forbid he's been a slightly less than PPG player. if he gets to 70 this year, they should build a statue of him outside the rink. don't think he will, but it seems like he's in on half the team's offense, so if they do start scoring more eventually.

what's with the grudge, is it like a contrarian thing against people that don't like Langs or Rolston or even Kovy? because compared to at least 2 of those 3 guys, you're barking up the wrong tree.

I agree with this entirely. The principle sucks but thats the way it is.

Tri's argument was that Elias was having a GOOD SEASON. My point is that he's having the "least embarrassing" season of the bunch.

Briere is merely an example - I too could care less if Philly and their fanbase rots in hell.

The real question is if this is any mark of things to come for Elias - remember this season started as "reuniting the magic of Arnott and Elias". We've been trying to a center for this guy for 3 seasons now since Gomer left (Zubrus, Rolston, Arnott). How much time is left on this $6M clock?

Can you stop the Elias hate? Everyone knows Zubrus and Rolston weren't brought in for Elias. Zubrus was brought in to be a big body because the forwards up front were midgets. Rolston was brought in for his PP slap shot and his winking ability. Arnott was brought in to play with Elias, but what we've seen is Arnott is a lot more washed up than Elias.

Again..we've been over this before..and I wrote this earlier to you...he signed the original long-term big cap hit contract after the lockout. There are going to be a ton of these over the next decade and beyond, where a player is making way more than their production late in their career. I think a lot of us here knew his decline wasn't going to be pretty. Elias is just the first of many many many big cap hits for declining players around the league.

One can argue that Elias hasn't been used right either. He wanted to play center and I bet if he centered Kovalchuk all year, we'd be seeing a lot better numbers from each of them.

Edited by devilsrule33

So it seems it is against "the will of the board" to have a purely reasonable discussion about a guy putting up the points that Elias is making $6M for the next two years?

I'm simply trying to open up some debate here not throw around the blind hate or "Source of all evil" that some do for Kovy, Langs, Clarkson, etc.

Will he move to center? Will Yayo be his new catalyst? Is he tradable for younger assets? Does he want to go through a mini-rebuild?

Would you accept him on a 3rd line role at $6m? Do you want to see him win a cup elsewhere if its possible in his last years?

Is he so much of an iconic Devil that you hold on to him no matter what?

All of these are reasonable questions for debate with ANY player making THAT much of the cap, whether it be Kovy, Parise, Rolston, or any other Devil.

BTW, if you read this board 3 years ago the majority thought (or hoped) that Zubrus would center Elias and replace Gomer's points (based on previous performance) for a cheaper price

Edited by DevilinLA

DLA:

this is a discussion about the all-star game, not the salary cap. for christ's sake, elias got named to the all-star team and he has clearly been the team's best forward this year. if you wish to hate on him, which you've nicely given yourself away doing, why not start your own thread or bump one of the 50 others where you've hated on him?

DLA:

this is a discussion about the all-star game, not the salary cap. for christ's sake, elias got named to the all-star team and he has clearly been the team's best forward this year. if you wish to hate on him, which you've nicely given yourself away doing, why not start your own thread or bump one of the 50 others where you've hated on him?

You are absolutely right about this being more relevant to a different htread.

Man, I wish people could stop posting with agendas. Its really been stinking up the boards recently. How about people find other things to talk about besides "how elias is washed up" or "how kovy ruined this team". Some fresh perspective would be nice

Kovy is washed up and Elias ruined the team.

Sure..but every team has to be represented at the all-star game in some way. Elias shouldn't be there over a lot of guys, but who cares. Why is this an NJ thing? Every single fanbase happily obliges when they benefit from the rule, and complain when they get screwed like Philly did this year.

The Devils have lost some all-stars through the years and benefit this season. Same with Ottawa. Keep in mind a lot of guys around the league asked not to be selected for personal reasons. In the end...it really does not matter.

The Islanders I believe are the only team that does not have a player going to the ASG. I maybe wrong but remember seeing that no one from the Islanders is going. :/

The Islanders I believe are the only team that does not have a player going to the ASG. I maybe wrong but remember seeing that no one from the Islanders is going. :/

Phoenix, Florida and Buffalo also don't have players, but every team has at least someone going to either the Skills Comp or the ASG

Phoenix, Florida and Buffalo also don't have players, but every team has at least someone going to either the Skills Comp or the ASG

Yeah and we don't exactly have someone worthy of the rookie game either. Well if Taormina was alive right now he'd actually be our only ASG rep :lol:

Man, I wish people could stop posting with agendas.

lol good luck with that one. It's like maxpower said, DiLA has to take a dump on Elias everywhere because people get on his favorites like Jamie and Sutter.

I mean nobody's arguing Elias deserves to be in the game but it's like MLB with the rules on representation. Someone has to go and clearly it's Elias from the Devils.

Edited by NJDevs4978