Sign in to follow this  
TheMazz

Red Wings Sign Nabokov

Not by what Rich Chere is saying on NJ.com

The Devils may claim goaltender Evgeni Nabokov on waivers and then put him back on waivers Friday so that he can sign with the Detroit Red Wings.

Nabokov started this season in the Kontinental Hockey League, so he must clear waivers to play in the NHL.

The Devils would be doing the Red Wings a favor by claiming Nabokov and then putting him back on waivers. The Red Wings have reportedly agreed to a one-year, $570,000 deal with the veteran goalie.

For that amount I say keep Nabakov and trade Hedberg to Detroit! LOL! Why the hell would the Devils want to help out the Detroit Red Wings here? This sounds just all too weird right now.

Why the hell would the Devils want to help out the Detroit Red Wings here? This sounds just all too weird right now.

Yeah, what's in it for us?

Yeah, what's in it for us?

Exactly....Looks like nothing so the Devils should keep Nabakov and screw over the Red Wings. lol. Give them Hedberg!

Ya, Mackenzie thought the Devils could do that as well, he didn't realize that multiple claims by teams on the first waivers could mess that up until he was corrected on twitter. It's not inconceivable that Chere doesn't realize it either. I had no idea that rule existed myself.

Ya, Mackenzie thought the Devils could do that as well, he didn't realize that multiple claims by teams on the first waivers could mess that up until he was corrected on twitter. It's not inconceivable that Chere doesn't realize it either. I had no idea that rule existed myself.

Very strange rule and just weird to say the least.

Very strange rule and just weird to say the least.

If the rule exists like Mckenzie says, I assume it's there because someone was smart enough to imagine a team might claim a player as a favor in just this fashion. Whomever saw that coming was on the ball. :lol:

If the rule exists like Mckenzie says, I assume it's there because someone was smart enough to imagine a team might claim a player as a favor in just this fashion. Whomever saw that coming was on the ball. :lol:

Yeah they sure were. :lol: Devils should keep Nabakov.

We're hardly in a position to go screw other teams randomly after most of the league's already mad at us for this offseason.

I still don't understand Chere, why would we claim him just to put him back on waivers, regardless of the rule McKenzie was talking about.

A "claim and trade" I could understand but claim and waive seems weird to me.

Really, if there's no obvious upside to us then the last thing in the world we need is the NHL looking at us again this season saying, "You did WHAT?"

Didn't this guy want 5 mil+ in the offseason (and the flyers almost gave it to him)?

that was before everyone noticed how much he sucks.

I never thought he was any less than a good starting goalie to be honest with you. Lou must have a deal in place with Detroit in case we have cap issues again or something.

If we claim him and then re-waive him I think Detroit would actually get first dibs on him? This would be doing Ken Holland and the Wings a favor which I'm sure they'd pay back if asked in the future. Ken Holland is that type of GM.

The Red Wings better do us a favor by taking Rolston for patrick Eaves and Darren Helm.

we are on double secret suspension, there is no way we could get away with a shady deal like that.

If we claim him and then re-waive him I think Detroit would actually get first dibs on him? This would be doing Ken Holland and the Wings a favor which I'm sure they'd pay back if asked in the future. Ken Holland is that type of GM.

I thought the idea was that we would claim him, hold on to him for a week until we play the Wings on the 26th, and then waive him after the game? There's little point to it but it would be to screw over the Wings against us, not to do them a favor.

If they take Rolston it will follow their trend of taking players who appear to have ABSOLUTELY nothing left in the tank.