Hard to Watch the Games This Year

Don

In October I purchased NHL Gamecentre and bought a new laptop with HDMI out so I could watch every Devils game on my big screen TV. I'm all set.

But at this point in the season, I find it difficult to sit down and watch a game.

I know we are not going to make the playoffs. And each win pulls us further and further from a top 3 draft pick. Wins at this point in the season don't really help the organization. And I can't very well watch the games and HOPE for the Devils to lose. Anyone else feel the same way? It seems win or lose, I feel like we have lost. :noclue:

I have to admit...at one point I was definitely in the "if we're gonna fall on our asses, might as well make the biggest possible splash" camp...at 10-29-2 it was hard to feel otherwise.

But I love that this team is becoming entertaining (at least for now), and that guys who were really struggling are turning it around. Just to make it more fun, I'm taking a first-half-of-this-season-didn't-happen approach.

So for me the Devils are 6-0-1, and have scored 28 goals and given up 13. Are they going to make the playoffs? No, almost definitely not. But at least they have a chance to wash the rotten taste of the lost first half completely out of their mouths before next year, and a full half of solid play before Zach enters next season can't possibly be a bad thing.

Wow don - this is a surprising post coming from you ...

I think the team could have been playing at this level all season long, but management insisted on a rookie coach ...

to your op -- eh .. our system would never allow an upper tier stud to be successful and we all know there arent any in the draft .. so whatever ...

could we drop this rookie coach crap? how is tampa doing with a rookie coach? how did san jose do last year with one? how about pittsburgh in 2009, did that work out? to lay this entirely at the feet of john maclean is absolving the players and to an extent Lou of responsibility, which is ridiculous.

we're probably going to have a rookie coach again next year, and i welcome it.

could we drop this rookie coach crap? how is tampa doing with a rookie coach? how did san jose do last year with one? how about pittsburgh in 2009, did that work out? to lay this entirely at the feet of john maclean is absolving the players and to an extent Lou of responsibility, which is ridiculous.

we're probably going to have a rookie coach again next year, and i welcome it.

The irony is most everyone including me wanted another rookie coach (Haviland), and I'd prefer a rookie coach to a regressive retread like Therrien. Johnny Mac was awful, that gets more obvious by the game and in hindsight it probably wasn't a good idea to have a rookie coach so affiliated with the organization but no it wasn't 'entirely' his fault, the post-Langs record can no longer be ignored.

It's hard to muster up enthusiasm for this thread because I have Jets hangover today, but I can see where you're coming from, Don. You're burnt out. Watch something else for a while.

And NJDevs4978 is right. Hard to ignore the Langenbrunner factor.

Edited by Jerrydevil

Rookie or no - you want a coach who is a non-conformist who loves hockey first and foremost.

Obviously it's really hard to tell who those guys are. I'd have thought Sutter would have fit that bill based on his :blahblah: and past history. But I guess loyalty is a tricky trait - you want loyalty but as with Sutter and Nieds that can backfire on you. You can't tell who's a retread and who isn't --- by your criteria Has, Lou would turn down Pat Burns.

Obviously it's really hard to tell who those guys are. I'd have thought Sutter would have fit that bill based on his :blahblah: and past history.

The funny thing is, if you look at the coaches this team has put through the ringer, Sutter's name is absent from the list.

They gave Robinson health issues.

They shot pucks at Julien.

They quit on Lemaire.

They flat out sucked under MacLean.

True, this team rejected Sutter's forecheck-heavy system at first like white blood cells rejecting a foreign body. But Sutter adjusted that first year, then got them to buy in the second year. If he wasn't such a turncoat douche, I still believe he could have achieved good things here.

In October I purchased NHL Gamecentre and bought a new laptop with HDMI out so I could watch every Devils game on my big screen TV. I'm all set.

But at this point in the season, I find it difficult to sit down and watch a game.

I know we are not going to make the playoffs. And each win pulls us further and further from a top 3 draft pick. Wins at this point in the season don't really help the organization. And I can't very well watch the games and HOPE for the Devils to lose. Anyone else feel the same way? It seems win or lose, I feel like we have lost. :noclue:

I feel yah

Obviously it's really hard to tell who those guys are. I'd have thought Sutter would have fit that bill based on his :blahblah: and past history. But I guess loyalty is a tricky trait - you want loyalty but as with Sutter and Nieds that can backfire on you. You can't tell who's a retread and who isn't --- by your criteria Has, Lou would turn down Pat Burns.

Pat Burns was only a 'retread' in the minds of fools, the man won THREE Jack Adams awards before he ever got here and got to one Cup Finals and two other conference finals. Granted we never saw him coach in the post-lockout NHL (which you have to factor in, guys like Hitch who were successful pre-lockout flopped post) but somehow I think he would have been successful just from the sheer force of will.

Then again I liked Burns before he ever got here. And Therrien I despise just because he melted down in Montreal, costing them a playoff series against the Canes and then somehow was attempting to miss the playoffs with Crosby and Malkin, which would have been the worst coaching job this side of Johnny Mac this year. Yet he's the kind of guy I'm afraid Lou might hire after being burned by Johnny Mac.

Edited by NJDevs4978