Devils' revival may silence Arnott trade talk

Rock

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/devs_revival_may_silence_arnott_0ypTfux5t79u5ouflOfqEK

Montreal is rumored to be interested, and Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier and a Habs scout double-teamed the Devils' 5-2 triumph over the Panthers in Newark Sunday.

Gauthier would not confirm nor deny interest, but did note pointedly GMs should never lie to the press. Otherwise, the Caps are said to be interested, and even Nashville, which traded Arnott as captain to the Devils last summer, may be looking, regardless of any resentments from its front office.

Lamoriello seemed to signal the opening of his used player lot when he dealt Jamie Langenbrunner to Dallas Jan. 7. Perhaps that was a deck-clearing move, since Langenbrunner was asked to waive his no-trade clause just one week after Jacques Lemaire replaced John MacLean. Langenbrunner was asked the same question during training camp.

"I had no problem with [Langenbrunner]," Lemaire said. "That [trade] was the boss. I even told Lou that Jamie's attitude was much, much better than it was last year."

"I had no problem with [Langenbrunner]," Lemaire said. "That [trade] was the boss. I even told Lou that Jamie's attitude was much, much better than it was last year."

In other words, he stopped pooping on the carpet but still occasionally chewed up Lemaire's slippers.

The GM said he and his team never threw in the towel on this season to concentrate on improving for next year and beyond.

"We would never have said that, ever, even the way we were playing," Lamoriello said. "Unless you play to the best of your abilities and do everything you can to win, you're not a professional."

In Lou We Trust.

• Like 1

I don't really think that we can afford to not trade Arnott, with Kovalchuk costing the extra 1st and a 3rd.

Unless we could get a first back for him...

I know it's wishful thinking, but hey, ya never know. Maybe a small bidding war will emerge for arnott.

Edit: and i misread your post. Essentially i agree with you.

Edited by Devilsfan118

You're not getting a first for Arnott. The question is how high a second can you garner, and it's not going to be all that high because he'll go to a playoff contender.

I like trading him because we can always resign him in the offseason if we'd like.

You're not getting a first for Arnott. The question is how high a second can you garner, and it's not going to be all that high because he'll go to a playoff contender.

I like trading him because we can always resign him in the offseason if we'd like.

Don't trade him!

Edited by adam85491

Can't see how any trade talk could be silenced with this team, especially with a free-agent-to-be like Arnott. This is a nice little run, but the Devils have almost no margin for error...one three-game losing streak and whatever small chance they have of making the playoffs is toast. Even if they go, say, 21-9-4 or something like that the rest of the way, this team still doesn't even finish at .500. The good thing is that the deadline is still a ways off...we'll likely know by then if this 6-0-1 burst was nothing more than the highest peak in a season of valleys.

We might be able to fetch a deal like Tkachuk did with St. Louis and Atlanta did in 06-07.

Tkachuk garnered a 1st, 2nd and 3rd along with Glen Metropolit. We might have to acquire negotiating rights after which would see us send a pick back to that team that gets Arnott.

Tha chances of getting a 1, 2, and a 3rd for Arnott is insane, he won't get a 2nd and a 3rd, nor a 1st. The Tkachuk trade was more than a massive overpayment.

Arnott may be able to fetch a 2nd, he should anyway. I don't think prospects will be involved for any trade for him, if you are GMing this team you have to look for a 2nd.

If you do trade him, you trade him at the deadline when you can milk the most value out of him at the height of another team's desperation.

i think 2nd and low grade prospect is the best you can hope for. Maybe something like 2+4 or 2+5.

Can't see how any trade talk could be silenced with this team, especially with a free-agent-to-be like Arnott. This is a nice little run, but the Devils have almost no margin for error...one three-game losing streak and whatever small chance they have of making the playoffs is toast. Even if they go, say, 21-9-4 or something like that the rest of the way, this team still doesn't even finish at .500. The good thing is that the deadline is still a ways off...we'll likely know by then if this 6-0-1 burst was nothing more than the highest peak in a season of valleys.

my thoughts exactly. they need to cut the deficit between us and 8th at least in half before we consider keeping Arnott at the deadline. Love the effort he's put forth, and the entire team for that matter during this run, lets sustain it before we write off becoming sellers at the deadline.

I think you'll get a couple of 2nd rounder offers, so someone will have to sweeten the pot to put it over the top.

Why not next year? Who's stepping into that center spot? Josefson will be on the team, but he's not really ready to anchor the position. Your boy Couturier?

Tha chances of getting a 1, 2, and a 3rd for Arnott is insane, he won't get a 2nd and a 3rd, nor a 1st. The Tkachuk trade was more than a massive overpayment.

Arnott may be able to fetch a 2nd, he should anyway. I don't think prospects will be involved for any trade for him, if you are GMing this team you have to look for a 2nd.

There will be plenty of teams on the bubble or at the 8th seed that will overpay.

I think you'll get a couple of 2nd rounder offers, so someone will have to sweeten the pot to put it over the top.

Why not next year? Who's stepping into that center spot? Josefson will be on the team, but he's not really ready to anchor the position. Your boy Couturier?

there won't be that many offers, most teams can't fit arnott under the cap, and plus arnott has an NMC - that limits his value. also montreal's 2nd round pick this year went to florida for dominic moore last season.

josefson or henrique would play there. henrique is tearing it up, relatively, for a first-year pro in the AHL. if they don't work out, slide zubrus in there. arnott really hasn't played that great since his hot start, and i don't like his (at times) lackadaisical play.

Arnott's contract is up this year, so he'll be cheaper next year. I hope Henrique pans out in the NHL next year, but I'd feel much more comfortable with an Arnott in the lineup, even if Elias slots into the center.

I have to go find the FA list to see if there's a better option that can be signed off the market, but 2011-12 is the "reckoning" of all our cap issues, unless a big move is made (Elias, Brodeur, Rolston).

Arnott's contract is up this year, so he'll be cheaper next year. I hope Henrique pans out in the NHL next year, but I'd feel much more comfortable with an Arnott in the lineup, even if Elias slots into the center.

I have to go find the FA list to see if there's a better option that can be signed off the market, but 2011-12 is the "reckoning" of all our cap issues, unless a big move is made (Elias, Brodeur, Rolston).

arnott still won't be dirt cheap, and he hasn't really played all that well this year. the devils still have cap issues next year. if it came down to arnott or greene, i'd want greene. greene is at least durable. arnott has remained injury-free this year, but he will be 37 at the beginning of next year. there's just no guarantees that he will be any good. he's already had his ice time reduced. he doesn't kill penalties.

eric belanger is the only other suitable center. neither of these seem like good solutions especially when henrique has 3 shots a game as an AHL rookie this season, and has maintained a positive plus/minus on a rather weak team.

Edited by Triumph