Rooting Interests Thread

PaDevsFan

Well at least the thread hasn't been a jinx although the other part of the equation we saw today with Marty leaving, we not only have to play near-perfect but we have to have near-perfect luck injury-wise.

But yeah this could start getting interesting if we get to 14 back after Tuesday.

Three games vs. Carolina huge if Devils hope to make playoffs

Published: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 6:19 PM Updated: Monday, February 07, 2011, 2:27 AM

By Rich Chere/The Star-Ledger

MONTREAL — The severity of Martin Brodeur's right knee injury may have something to say about whether the Devils can pull off their miracle comeback.

But after their run reached 9-1-2 with Sunday's 4-1 triumph over the Canadiens, they still weren't thinking playoffs.

"It's still one game at a time," Ilya Kovalchuk said after scoring two goals. "We'll see what happens in the next 15 games. If we keep playing like that, you never know."

The Devils moved one point ahead of the idle Islanders and tied the 13th place Ottawa Senators.

They are 16 points behind the eighth-place Carolina Hurricanes for the final Eastern Conference playoff spot.

"In the next 10 days we have three games against them," Kovalchuk pointed out. "That will probably be the key for us if we want to make a push."

Travis Zajac didn't want to think about it.

"We're still not looking at it," he said. "We have a long way to go."

But people are starting to believe it is possible. Who would've guessed?

"I think this is what I've seen of the Devils over the years," said goalie Johan Hedberg, who played the final two periods today in Montreal. "I think we're playing tremendous hockey. We're going out there feeling we can win every game."

Who can doubt them?

Rich Chere: rchere@starledger.com

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/02/three_games_vs_carolina_huge_i.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kool-Aid is getting passed around the locker room and thats a fantastic idea!! Keep fighting boys we believe!!

Edited by ChilltownDevs2673

Well at least the thread hasn't been a jinx although the other part of the equation we saw today with Marty leaving, we not only have to play near-perfect but we have to have near-perfect luck injury-wise.

But yeah this could start getting interesting if we get to 14 back after Tuesday.

Thats all I am saying, I know it is improbable as the thread description states, but if they win on Tuesday it is 14 with a game in hand. They need to finish off like 23-5-1 to get to 89 points for at least a chance. That is not impossible, but again lets just keep the momentum going. I am having fun watching this team right now!

Thats all I am saying, I know it is improbable as the thread description states, but if they win on Tuesday it is 14 with a game in hand. They need to finish off like 23-5-1 to get to 89 points for at least a chance. That is not impossible, but again lets just keep the momentum going. I am having fun watching this team right now!

They are skating like its playoff hockey! can this intensity be kept up for 20-25 games? We'd need a fifth line to pull this off! Its not like the pucks are jumping into the net, its ALL EFFORT on their part. tremendous , but I'm exhaused just watching them!

8 - Atlanta - 54 GP - 57 Points

9 - Carolina - 52 GP - 56 Points

10 - Buffalo - 49 GP - 51 Points

11 - Florida - 51 GP - 50 Points

12 - Toronto - 51 GP - 47 Points

13 - Ottawa - 52 GP - 42 Points

14 - New Jersey - 51 GP - 39 Points

Update:

8 - Carolina - 53 GP - 58 Points

9 - Atlanta - 55 GP - 58 Points

10 - Buffalo - 51 GP - 53 Points

11 - Florida - 52 GP - 52 Points

12 - Toronto - 52 GP - 47 Points

13 - New Jersey - 53 GP - 42 Points

If the Devils win the next 5 games, and all of them v. Carolina in regulation, I will entertain the possibility of them making the playoffs. That would likely knock the pace down to around 87 points, and the Devils would be 24-30-4 - they'd need to go 17-5-1 to make it to 87 points. Still, it's an enormous, enormous longshot.

Edited by Triumph

Almost forgot today's installment. In keeping up with the fact that we know we will need a bit of assistance, tonight there are 3 games of importance to the Devils.

Atlanta at Toronto and Rags at Detroit and Ottawa at Vancouver.

The Atlanta Toronto one is tough, but knowing we want to see more of a bunch up of the teams in front of the Devils we need Toronto to win this one. SO root for the Leafs.

Next is a given we want Detroit to stomp the Rags...

Last we want to keep Ottawa down and root for Vancouver to take care of business at home tonight.

If these happen then tomorrows game with the Canes becomes even more exciting... just more pieces to the jigsaw puzzle that is the Devils playoff hopes...

simply put, i would say the devils have a tragic number of 4 - meaning after 4 more losses on the season, you can just forget about it.

Pretty close, with 29 games left if the "magical number" is 90 that they may have to get to (I think it may actually be 88 or so since 88 got Philly and Montreal in last yr. I bleieve) then the Devils need 48 points to get to 90

They can go 24 - 5?? 23 - 4 - 2 something like that. SO yes 4 to 5 losses is the max they can have for the remainder which I am once again believing this team can do. It will be a miracle run but not impossible...

Edited by PaDevsFan

i'm saying 4 losses of any kind.

I think that's only slightly overstating the case. We have 30 games left and need 50 of 60 points to get to 90. Unless you figure on the number being higher (hard to project that until after the trade deadline really) I'd say there are ten points left to play around with to have a chance. Last year the number was lower, most other years it's been slightly higher.

3 of our next 6 are against the 'Canes. Win all three of these and it's still near impossible to make the playoffs.

Unfortunately I think the game on the 18th is pretty much an impossible spot...we never do well going down there the night after a home game (which we always seem to do when we go to Carolina), and with it being the night after a Ranger game to boot, that one's got another 5-2, 6-3 beatdown all over it the way New Year's Day did after we played on New Year's Eve.

And now that Marty's probably more seriously hurt than the Devils admitted at first (gee what a shock), that just makes the improbable that much more unlikely.

Let them get in the playoffs first. I'll worry about them being gassed then.

While I would be happy and consider it a tremendous achievement to get there, getting bounced real easy in the first round is just a high draft pick wasted. If that success is what Parise needs to want to stay here, then that's a different matter entirely.

While I would be happy and consider it a tremendous achievement to get there, getting bounced real easy in the first round is just a high draft pick wasted. If that success is what Parise needs to want to stay here, then that's a different matter entirely.

that's ridiculous. you can't know if you are going to lose in the first round, and i can cite 100 examples, one of which is from this franchise.

Carolina currently holds the 8th spot, yes, but Buffalo may be the team that ultimately gets it. Every team, from the Devils up, has their sights set on the playoffs, we will be facing hungry team after hungry team. It's still gonna be awfully difficult

that is true, but buffalo could end up knocking the Rags out as they arent too far ahead of Carolina... So we could still end up fighting Carolina the rags Atlanta and Buffalo...