Rooting Interests Thread

PaDevsFan

Thx for nothing Boston. 3pt game with the Sens and Thuglanders; both teams are as usless as a screen door on a submarine!! 3pt game Sabres and MC; Montreal better beat Buffalo!!

There are so many games going into OT tonight. (Mtl Buf, NYI OTT, PHI TBL) and im sure that one of the other two games going on will also go to OT.

Go Habs Go!

No panic, folks! Yes, when teams above us win, it doesn't help us, but when playoff teams are not putting distances between our two teams, that's a positive.

Regardless of the outcomes tonight in certain games, we're still only 14 out.

FWIW, Buffalo is starting to catch fire when more than a few current playoff teams are starting to falter and fizzle [Rangers, Washington], so I firmly believe they'll climb to higher than 8th. They are not the team we're chasing, nor going to stop at the spot we'll need to get. I'm not worried about Buffalo's success, nor any team not in the top 8 until the get there. But that is just my 2 cents.

Points out of 8th entering the night: 14 with 1 game in hand

Conference place (points out of next higher place): 14th place (1 point)

Tonight's games of interest:

Flyers @ Panthers

'Canes @ Devils

Leafs @ Sabres

Best possible outcome:

Flyers W

Devils W

Leafs W

Points out of 8th: 12 with 1 game in hand

Conference place: 13th (5 points)

Worst possible outcome:

Panthers W

'Canes W

Sabres W

Points out of 8th: 16 with 1 game in hand

Conference place: 14th (1 point, giving 1 game)

Update:

8 - Carolina - 57 GP - 62 Points

9 - Buffalo - 55 GP - 60 Points

10 - Atlanta - 58 GP - 60 Points

11 - Florida - 55 GP - 55 Points

12 - Toronto - 57 GP - 54 Points

13 - NY Islanders - 57 GP - 49 Points

14 - New Jersey - 56 GP - 48 Points

Fourteen seems to be the number of the day. We were 11 points back, now we're 14. We were in 13th place, now we're 14th.

Guys first and foremost we need to stay positive!! When this thread was started it was about keepin the positive feelings going and hoping the Devils continue this improbable run. I think we all knew that every team in front of us wasnt going to lose every game (even though that would have made it easier). we knew the Devils had to stay hot and the others couldnt really get hot. Well this run has at least become possible today and we are for the most part holding up our end and continuing to channel those positive feelings the Devils way!! And they keep winning for us!

Now that being said I for one do not understand why we want Toronto to win?? we need to catch them and being that they upset Boston last night we need them to lose, we cant have them getting any kind of feelings about getting hot! If they had lost last night I may agree have them lose one win one etc etc, but I dont want to see them winning 2 in a row... I also think it is just about a foregone conclusion that Buffalo gets in and most likely above the 8th spot so we really need Buffalo to knock Toronto off, the Flyers to take care of the Panthers, and of course

LETS GO DEVILS!!! We need to STOMP the Canes and continue where we left off before the short break!!!

Fourteen seems to be the number of the day. We were 11 points back, now we're 14. We were in 13th place, now we're 14th.

True we were 11 points out ... for about a half-hour. At the end of that day, it was 12 ... I think.

Edited by 95Crash

True we were 11 points out ... for about a half-hour. At the end of that day, it was 12 ... I think.

I think you're right. Atlanta beat the Rags the same night we beat the Sharks, and that put them 12 points up on us while we remained 11 back of Carolina until they got a loser point the following day. I'm not great at computing retroactive standings, but I think that adds up.

Anyway, looking at how the main teams we're chasing did over our four-day layoff:

Carolina - 1-0-1, 3 of 4 possible points

Buffalo - 1-0-1, 3 of 4 possible points

Atlanta - 0-1-0, 0 of 2 possible points

The good thing is that none of these teams got all possible points over that period. Stupid loser points.

Guys first and foremost we need to stay positive!! When this thread was started it was about keepin the positive feelings going and hoping the Devils continue this improbable run. I think we all knew that every team in front of us wasnt going to lose every game (even though that would have made it easier). we knew the Devils had to stay hot and the others couldnt really get hot. Well this run has at least become possible today and we are for the most part holding up our end and continuing to channel those positive feelings the Devils way!! And they keep winning for us!

Now that being said I for one do not understand why we want Toronto to win?? we need to catch them and being that they upset Boston last night we need them to lose, we cant have them getting any kind of feelings about getting hot! If they had lost last night I may agree have them lose one win one etc etc, but I dont want to see them winning 2 in a row... I also think it is just about a foregone conclusion that Buffalo gets in and most likely above the 8th spot so we really need Buffalo to knock Toronto off, the Flyers to take care of the Panthers, and of course

LETS GO DEVILS!!! We need to STOMP the Canes and continue where we left off before the short break!!!

That doesn't make any sense.

For Buffalo to make a higher run than 8th, it means another team (currently higher than 8th) will have to fall out.. meaning it will take us MORE points to catch up.

Long term, we want Toronto to come as close to 8th as possible (as in, root for them to knock out any higher seeds) so we can at the close the gap to 8th anyways... then, once we are (if) within striking distance of 8th, we'll need to pass them all in one fell swoop.

Let Toronto catch up as long as it means helping us close the gap.

That doesn't make any sense.

For Buffalo to make a higher run than 8th, it means another team (currently higher than 8th) will have to fall out.. meaning it will take us MORE points to catch up.

Long term, we want Toronto to come as close to 8th as possible (as in, root for them to knock out any higher seeds) so we can at the close the gap to 8th anyways... then, once we are (if) within striking distance of 8th, we'll need to pass them all in one fell swoop.

Let Toronto catch up as long as it means helping us close the gap.

No look at the amount of games played and it does make sense. Buffalo has played the fewest games of these teams chasing spots, and are as of right now the closest to a spot only 2 behing Carolina. They win tonight and Carolina loses they move into the 8th spot. The key team here is the Rags, they have played 3 more games than Buffalo and are a mediochre team that will almost certainly fall behind Buffalo so BEING REALISTIC Buffalo is almost a lock to get in having at minimum 2 games in hand over teams, so they are in now we still have to climb over Toronto and Florida to even be in the same breath as athe playoff teams, so lets start climbing with Toronto losing and Florida losing we are right behind them with us winning.

Face it Buffalo will get in and we will have to root for them to lose every game which aint happening. It is more likely that the Rags fall out and even below us than Buffalo not getting in. Look at it Buffalo could actually catch Washington at the pace they are on..

No look at the amount of games played and it does make sense. Buffalo has played the fewest games of these teams chasing spots, and are as of right now the closest to a spot only 2 behing Carolina. They win tonight and Carolina loses they move into the 8th spot. The key team here is the Rags, they have played 3 more games than Buffalo and are a mediochre team that will almost certainly fall behind Buffalo so BEING REALISTIC Buffalo is almost a lock to get in having at minimum 2 games in hand over teams, so they are in now we still have to climb over Toronto and Florida to even be in the same breath as athe playoff teams, so lets start climbing with Toronto losing and Florida losing we are right behind them with us winning.

Face it Buffalo will get in and we will have to root for them to lose every game which aint happening. It is more likely that the Rags fall out and even below us than Buffalo not getting in. Look at it Buffalo could actually catch Washington at the pace they are on..

The rationale in this post kind of defeats the purpose of this entire thread ;)

pa: this doesn't make sense. we want every team we have a chance of catching to start losing. once we start thinking that buffalo is 'in', that makes the threshold to get in that much higher. if buffalo is a lock to get in, then we are basically a lock to fall out.

pa: this doesn't make sense. we want every team we have a chance of catching to start losing. once we start thinking that buffalo is 'in', that makes the threshold to get in that much higher. if buffalo is a lock to get in, then we are basically a lock to fall out.

NOt really if you look at the Rags as falling because they have played 3 more games and their projected total I believe is the lowest the contending teams to get in. My point is that Buffalo is only 2 points out now with multiple games in hand. Yes if they go in someone has to fall out but in reality if we are chasing say Carolina for #8 and the Rags are hoovering we would be fine in overtaking them as well...Buffalo #7 Devs #8 Rags golfing!

But in reality the BOTTOM LINE IS DEVILS NEED TO KEEP WINNING. So say Toronto wins, thats 2 in a row all of a sudden they are feelin like they can make a run too. Would rather see them up and down right now. But thats just me...

Edited by PaDevsFan

NOt really if you look at the Rags as falling because they have played 3 more games and their projected total I believe is the lowest the contending teams to get in. My point is that Buffalo is only 2 points out now with multiple games in hand. Yes if they go in someone has to fall out but in reality if we are chasing say Carolina for #8 and the Rags are hoovering we would be fine in overtaking them as well...Buffalo #7 Devs #8 Rags golfing!

But in reality the BOTTOM LINE IS DEVILS NEED TO KEEP WINNING. So say Toronto wins, thats 2 in a row all of a sudden they are feelin like they can make a run too. Would rather see them up and down right now. But thats just me...

Tri is absolutely right. We should be rooting against Buffalo regardless of what the Rangers do. The standings are sorted by projection.

team # gp gr pts proj

nyr 7 58 24 64 90.48

buf 8 55 27 60 89.45

car 9 57 25 62 89.19

atl 10 58 24 60 84.83

fla 11 55 27 55 82.00

tor 12 57 25 54 77.68

njd 13 57 25 50 71.93

The best thing is that #7 is projected for less points than the #8 seed traditionally has at the end of a season.

With ideal results today and tomorrow - Devils and Leafs win, everyone else loses we could be looking at a very nice projected figure:

team # gp gr pts proj

nyr 7 59 23 64 88.95

buf 8 56 26 60 87.86

car 9 58 24 62 87.66

atl 10 59 23 60 83.39

fla 11 56 26 55 80.54

tor 12 58 24 56 79.17

njd 13 58 24 52 73.52

Edited by StormJosh

you're not getting it. we want all of these teams to lose. we can't just write off buffalo, because there's a not-insignificant chance that the rangers start winning and buffalo keeps winning. if that happens, no matter what the devils do in the next 5 games, they are out.

One thing about rooting for different playoff scenarios is that it changes day to day. You might be rooting for a certain team to win one day and then to lose the next day, depending on who they are playing and how the standings have changed!

Tonight I'm rooting for the Leafs to beat the Sabres and the Flyers to beat the Panthers.

:clap:

Tri is absolutely right. We should be rooting against Buffalo regardless of what the Rangers do. The standings are sorted by projection.

team # gp gr pts proj

nyr 7 58 24 64 90.48

buf 8 55 27 60 89.45

car 9 57 25 62 89.19

atl 10 58 24 60 84.83

fla 11 55 27 55 82.00

tor 12 57 25 54 77.68

njd 13 57 25 50 71.93

The best thing is that #7 is projected for less points than the #8 seed traditionally has at the end of a season.

With ideal results today and tomorrow - Devils and Leafs win, everyone else loses we could be looking at a very nice projected figure:

team # gp gr pts proj

nyr 7 59 23 64 88.95

buf 8 56 26 60 87.86

car 9 58 24 62 87.66

atl 10 59 23 60 83.39

fla 11 56 26 55 80.54

tor 12 58 24 56 79.17

njd 13 58 24 52 73.52

Well I guess I will change my thought process, I just see the Rags falling here over the next month and Buffalo climbing and us still moving up to where we could pass the Rags too. But if the projections are what you say then I have to root for Toronto tonight as well...