Rooting Interests Thread

PaDevsFan

Thank you Flyers now ( I cant believe I am sayin that) Rags go down!

Big day even though we didnt play 2 teams above us LOST

Guys keep the faith things are really starting to come together. We need to keep winning, but the projected totals for the teams ahead of us keep coming down to "more doable" ranges. I think this team can get to 90 though either way, and that should be enough to complete the miracle!

Edited by PaDevsFan

who do we root for in the ranger-carolina game? sadly, i'm thinking nyr.

It almost has to be the Rags, that bunches things up even more and Carolina's projections will keep gettin lower... Now that the Rags are on a "2 game losing streak" maybe Tortarella fires them up enough to help us when they face the Canes!!

Unfortunately I, too, think we have to root for the Rangers that one game. After that we can go back to rooting against them.

Eh, we're 10 back of the Canes with 1 game in hand and 12 back of the Rangers with 2 in hand. It's basically six of one and half a dozen of the other, but with the Rangers not having Gaborik for a while and with the way they've been playing lately it might be more feasible to catch them anyway, especially with all of Carolina's home games down the stretch.

Besides whenever there's any doubt always root against the Rangers :lol:

It almost has to be the Rags, that bunches things up even more and Carolina's projections will keep gettin lower... Now that the Rags are on a "2 game losing streak" maybe Tortarella fires them up enough to help us when they face the Canes!!

No, you bunch things up by dragging as many teams back as possible. If we're only chasing one playoff spot and Carolina gets hot it's game over, no matter how we play but if there are TWO spots available it's all of a sudden that much more realistic that one will be open to us since it's more unlikely two of those teams get hot. If we're even within 3 of the Rangers by April 9, we'd still control our own destiny cause that game at the Garden is their last, we have a home game the next day to close the season.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I only care that the Devils make the playoffs. I couldn't possibly care less if it were #7 seed or #8 seed. If the Rangers beat Carolina then Carolina will be on pace about 86 points exactly and Buffalo at like 86.3, it might only take 86-87 points to make the #8 seed. So I'll be rooting for the Rangers.

I'm not looking at eighth seed or seventh seed, I'm looking at keeping our options more open.

Clearly short-term it would be better to keep the number at 10 but with 23 games left you still need to look at long-term a little too. I'd rather have it at 12 with two spots to chase (and games in hand with both) instead of 10 with only one spot to chase, you're putting all your eggs in one basket then.

Projections really mean nothing at this point, it doesn't take into account strength of schedule or possible deadline deals between now and early next week.

Edited by NJDevs4978

4978:

I don't think what you are describing is very accurate. We need the threshold for 8 to be as low as possible, that's how the Devils get in. The Devils only get in at 7 if everyone really, really, really sucks (and the Devils somehow continue ripping off regulation wins). Having Carolina win doesn't contribute to 'bunching', it just means the Devils have to get more points to get into the playoffs.

I'm again of the thinking that either way will be fine, as long as the game ends in regulation. Of course we'd rather see these teams playing Western Conference teams or the Flyers or something, but there will be these difficult times when someone's gonna get points that we don't want to. As long as both don't...whatever.

Another interesting scheduling quirk that may or may not have been mentioned: Starting on March 6th, the Devils have a week and a half of only playing the Thrashers, Islanders, and Senators (one home and one away game each).

Not that any one stretch will be more important than anything else, but that stretch, the way the Devils have been playing, is a big chunk of points that we should be able to get.

I'm again of the thinking that either way will be fine, as long as the game ends in regulation. Of course we'd rather see these teams playing Western Conference teams or the Flyers or something, but there will be these difficult times when someone's gonna get points that we don't want to. As long as both don't...whatever.

Another interesting scheduling quirk that may or may not have been mentioned: Starting on March 6th, the Devils have a week and a half of only playing the Thrashers, Islanders, and Senators (one home and one away game each).

Not that any one stretch will be more important than anything else, but that stretch, the way the Devils have been playing, is a big chunk of points that we should be able to get.

the thrashers and sens are playing like garbage, but the islanders are playing really good hockey. no such thing as free points especially against the isles. i've seen cup winning devil teams walk into nassau and get thumped.

I also believe it doesn't matter as long as they don't go to OT. If NY wins, yes we'd be behind 14, but they have to go to Was and then they get TB, they may just drop all 4 points and be back to 10 (assuming NJ wins)

The most important thing is for the Devils to win anyways. If the Devs do their job and reach 90-93, they'll be in for sure.

So go X or Y!!!...just do it in regulation

4978:

I don't think what you are describing is very accurate. We need the threshold for 8 to be as low as possible, that's how the Devils get in. The Devils only get in at 7 if everyone really, really, really sucks (and the Devils somehow continue ripping off regulation wins). Having Carolina win doesn't contribute to 'bunching', it just means the Devils have to get more points to get into the playoffs.

Again, I'm not trying to get to 7...it's quite possible Carolina gets to 7 anyway. I'd rather take my chances with either the Rangers or Carolina falling off (more likely the Rangers) than just Carolina. But yes I'll take either way so long as it's not the dreaded three-pointer.

Instead of looking at all the teams in the standings above us, I will focus on the three we need to overcome first and try to do it on a week to week basis (sunday to sunday nights).

This is the current standings and last weeks expected/best case and games to be played this week:

Team -------- GP --- PTS --- LW/BC --- Games to be played till end of month, anticipated outcome

Thrashers --- 60 --- 60 ---- 62/60 --- Loss to Sabres/Leafs, Win over Panthers

Panthers ---- 58 --- 57 ---- 55/55 --- Loss to Thrashers/Devils, Win over Isles/Sens

Leafs ------- 59 --- 57 ---- 58/56 --- Loss to Pens/Canadiens, Win over Isles/Thrashers

Devils ------ 59 --- 54 ---- 54/54 --- Must beat Stars/Lightnings/Panthers

Last week: The Panthers exceeded expectations

Countdown 94 = 40 pts (20-3 or equivalent)

This the expected and best case scenario standings by the end of the week (month as well)

Team -------- GP --- PTS --- Best Case PTS

Thrashers --- 63 --- 63 ---- 62 (We want them to beat the Sabres and lose to Leafs/Panthers)

Panthers ---- 62 --- 62 ---- 59 (We want them to beat the Thrashers and lose to Devils/Isles/Sens)

Leafs ------- 63 --- 63 ---- 59 (We want them to beat the Thrashers and lose to Pens/Canadiens/Isles)

Devils ------ 62 --- 60 ---- 60

Countdown 94 = 34 pts (17-3 or equivalent)

If everything works out well, we will move from 13th position to the 11th position. I think these teams will be around 61/64 pts assuming they get some OTLs.

Edited by Anhkheg

The red hot Islanders are up 4-0 over the Florida Panthers late in the 2nd period. If they hang on to win, that means that Florida will continue to be 3 points ahead of us but with no more games in hand. It also would give them the exact same record as the Maple Leafs, so we could potentially leap frog over both of them with a couple more wins and get a bit closer to that 8th spot.