Brian Rolston appreciation thread

RunninWithTheDevil

The Brian Rolston Appreciation Thread is upon us. Hell hath frozen over.

I'm so glad. He reminds me so much of a cousin - one you kind of think is a dipsh!t but then after a particularly great holiday gathering you think "That was awesome -- and Rolston wasn't even a dipsh!t! Maybe we can hang out during the regular year" Invariably you don't call... but you love him and don't want to see him fail or anything. He's not there yet -- but I'd LOVE to see him play his best hockey as a Devil - kill that curse!

So what do we call the Rolston/Elias/Zubs line for the rest of the season and maybe even next season. I thought of the "30something" line.

Operation: Raise Rolie's Value So We Can Get Him The Fvck Out Of Here

Elias and Zubrus are on a mission from Lou. From the looks of yesterday's article, Chere is an agent as well.

wanted to make a thread for a devil i appreciate, fvck me right?

You picked probably the least-liked Devils over the past two seasons to appreciate, what did you expect? Did you expect everyone to suddenly be in love with the guy after 10 decent games? You can't just forget about the 150+ mediocre-to-very poor games he played before that. Obviously everyone wants him to continue to be successful, but I'm not surprised that few people are ready to bow down to him after what a disappointment he's been during 95% of his games played here.

You picked probably the least-liked Devils over the past two seasons to appreciate, what did you expect? Did you expect everyone to suddenly be in love with the guy after 10 decent games? You can't just forget about the 150+ mediocre-to-very poor games he played before that. Obviously everyone wants him to continue to be successful, but I'm not surprised that few people are ready to bow down to him after what a disappointment he's been during 95% of his games played here.

well then fvck off! its an appreciation thread for the few that appreciate his work, not an "everyone give reasons why you're not allowed to appreciate him or be grateful for his work in any way" thread

well then fvck off! its an appreciation thread for the few that appreciate his work, not an "everyone give reasons why you're not allowed to appreciate him or be grateful for his work in any way" thread

So you're only allowed to post in a thread if you agree with the thread creator's opinion? Yeah sorry, that's not how it works. You're acting all shocked and hurt because not everyone is as in love with Rolston as you are. Get over it.

So you're only allowed to post in a thread if you agree with the thread creator's opinion? Yeah sorry, that's not how it works. You're acting all shocked and hurt because not everyone is as in love with Rolston as you are. Get over it.

yupp thats it. im in love with rolston. i'd just like to reiterate: i made a thread commenting on my appreciation for Rolston's recent play, offering for others to add their appreciation regardless of what others thought, and now its going the way of every other godforsaken thread. everyone got all butt-hurt and had to discredit my appreciation just because he didn't live up to their expectations. guess i shouldn't be shocked.

yupp thats it. im in love with rolston. i'd just like to reiterate: i made a thread commenting on my appreciation for Rolston's recent play, offering for others to add their appreciation regardless of what others thought, and now its going the way of every other godforsaken thread. everyone got all butt-hurt and had to discredit my appreciation just because he didn't live up to their expectations. guess i shouldn't be shocked.

The only "butt-hurt" one here is you. All I see is normal, reasonable discussion about Rolston's time in New Jersey and you getting all upset about people disagreeing with you in your thread.

In bold: what a stupid comment. No one here is butt-hurt. People simply wondered aloud how 10 games somehow negates the 160 or so that came before it, and now makes him worthy of adulation, just like that. "just because he didn't live up to their expectations"...really, is that all? Are you serious about this? He didn't live up to ANYONE'S expectations (especially Lou's)...not even close! There's a reason why Lou tried to dump him, and why every other NHL team passed on grabbing him when they has the chance.

You couldn't be more wrong, and prodigy couldn't be more right. If you're going to be this thin-skinned and oblivious, you shouldn't be starting threads like this.

As far as unpopular players go, Rolston is right at the top of the list. Did you miss all of the "Roger Dorn" references from last season? The mere mention of Rolston's name was enough to infuriate most Devils fans up until this from out-of-nowhere surge. He embodied everything a fan doesn't want to see: high-paid, low-producing, underachieving and appearing not to care all that much.

If you have the slightest degree of intelligence, you had to know that this was going to be a debatable topic...Rolston is as push-button as it gets. YES, he's finally playing better and much closer to the level what we were all hoping for, and that's wonderful, but that small sample wasn't going to be enough to make up for the 2.5 years of absolute drek that came before it...drek that you're trying to make sound a whole lot better than it really was. It's going to take a lot more than Rolston producing short-term, in what is essentially garbage time, to get people to feel any real "appreciation" for him. If that's too difficult for you to grasp I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

In bold: what a stupid comment. No one here is butt-hurt. People simply wondered aloud how 10 games somehow negates the 160 or so that came before it, and now makes him worthy of adulation, just like that. "just because he didn't live up to their expectations"...really, is that all? Are you serious about this? He didn't live up to ANYONE'S expectations (especially Lou's)...not even close! There's a reason why Lou tried to dump him, and why every other NHL team passed on grabbing him when they has the chance.

You couldn't be more wrong, and prodigy couldn't be more right. If you're going to be this thin-skinned and oblivious, you shouldn't be starting threads like this.

As far as unpopular players go, Rolston is right at the top of the list. Did you miss all of the "Roger Dorn" references from last season? The mere mention of Rolston's name was enough to infuriate most Devils fans up until this from out-of-nowhere surge. He embodied everything a fan doesn't want to see: high-paid, low-producing, underachieving and appearing not to care all that much.

If you have the slightest degree of intelligence, you had to know that this was going to be a debatable topic...Rolston is as push-button as it gets. YES, he's finally playing better and much closer to the level what we were all hoping for, and that's wonderful, but that small sample wasn't going to be enough to make up for the 2.5 years of absolute drek that came before it...drek that you're trying to make sound a whole lot better than it really was. It's going to take a lot more than Rolston producing short-term, in what is essentially garbage time, to get people to feel any real "appreciation" for him. If that's too difficult for you to grasp I don't know what to tell you.

once again you're wrong. my point is not that Rolston is fvcking amazing now and everyone should like him. Its simply a thread that everyone took offense to because its Brian Rolston. thin-skinned and oblivious? its a thread thanking Rolston for actually showing up now. Not a hall pass for a number retirement. I invited the criticism at first, and tried to respond to it. Then the thread just degenerated into stupid one-liners, people saying he "doesn't deserve any appreciation", and people putting words in my mouth, and now the final level of thread-death: personal attacks. So yeah, I'm pissed, because I never said that this streak replaces 2 1/2 years of suckishness, that wasn't the point of this thread. I said I appreciate his effort, thats all.

once again you're wrong. my point is not that Rolston is fvcking amazing now and everyone should like him. Its simply a thread that everyone took offense to because its Brian Rolston. thin-skinned and oblivious? its a thread thanking Rolston for actually showing up now. Not a hall pass for a number retirement. I invited the criticism at first, and tried to respond to it. Then the thread just degenerated into stupid one-liners, people saying he "doesn't deserve any appreciation", and people putting words in my mouth, and now the final level of thread-death: personal attacks.

I seem to recall being told to "fvck off" a while ago, does that not count as a personal attack?

So yeah, I'm pissed, because I never said that this streak replaces 2 1/2 years of suckishness, that wasn't the point of this thread. I said I appreciate his effort, thats all.

Actually, this is not true. You defended both his contract signing, saying it wasn't his fault he got a lot of money, and his stats, saying that 32 points in 08-09 was "decent". Then you said the only reason people give him crap is because of his contract. Well duh, great observation. If he was being paid $500,000 per season then his numbers would be great. But he's not. He's being paid top-level money which he earned with his previous success, which did not carry over to New Jersey. So no sh!t he's getting judged based off of his contract, so is every other player in the league.

Risky is right, you don't sound like a poster that signed up in 07 at all.

I seem to recall being told to "fvck off" a while ago, does that not count as a personal attack?

As far as personal attacks that I've seen on here, "fvck off" isn't terribly personal, but that's beside the point. No one needs to be getting all mad about this here. We can have a conversation on whether Rolston deserves appreciation or not like adults, without swearing and name calling.

This being said, Rolston really doesn't deserve much appreciation until he can show that he can put up numbers like he has for the past 10 games, consistently over the course of a season and he really doesn't have a lot of time left to do that, 30 games to be exact. The best we really can hope for is that some not too intelligent GM sees his resurgence if you want to even call it that and will pick him up at the deadline. However, this is pretty unlikely, what's far more plausible is that if he continues this play for the remainder of the season and at the start of the next one, we may be able to move him then and even then, we may need to do it by way of re-entry waivers.

If Rolston can put up points at the pace .5pts/game, that's about what you'd expect for $2.5mil. I think if he can put up numbers around that pace for the rest of the season by making it to about 35 or so points by season's end, which is entirely possible, someone could definitely be willing to take him on at $2.5mil next year. Expecting anyone to take him on at full price is a long shot imo, even if he can start scoring again.

Edited by ATLL765

How far back does "lately" stretch? More than two and a half years I guess.

Lately is relative and subjective. I know that folks dislike Rolston and always have. I have always liked and appreciated him regardless of his off stretches. Same goes for the entire team. Well, maybe not some players. ;)

Lately is relative and subjective. I know that folks dislike Rolston and always have. I have always liked and appreciated him regardless of his off stretches. Same goes for the entire team. Well, maybe not some players. ;)

Before the last 10-15 games, you considered Rolston's play over the last 2.5 years an "off-stretch?" I think you may be the nicest person ever or Brian Rolston's agent.

Typically you'd be right, but in an "appreciation" thread like this, it's pretty bad form to come in and piss all over the place. If you don't have anything nice to say in an appreciation thread, STFU.