Devils at the Deadline

Derlique

Well, the day is quickly approaching, the trade deadline. While, we are in the midst of trying to complete one of the biggest turnarounds ever, it will be interesting to see what Lou and Co. do at the deadline.

Do they keep everyone in hopes of making the playoffs?

or

Do they try and get as much as they can and ship off a few players?

Furthermore, who goes? It's obvious that Arnott is a goner, but maybe the Devils want to keep Andy Greene. Others could be moved too, if the price was right. All I know is that its gonna be an interesting day

Maybe this thread should just get pinned, I bet there were be a few new threads a week on the same thing otherwise?

Arnott should be out.

Greene should be out.

Hedberg should be out if he is willing to go and anybody wants him for anything.

Clarkson should be out if anybody has interest in him.

Zubrus can go if there is a decent deal that can be had for him.

Rolston should get re-re-entry waived, just in case.

White can go if he wants, and if you've gotten rid of some of the 3 above, and you believe some of the better offseason defenseman are interested in going to the Devils. Otherwise he needs to be kept as a good value.

I would think Arnott is a goner for sure.

I do wonder what the Pens are going to do with Malkin out for the season and Crosby out till about March.

Mike Madden for Penn's radio was ranting that they needed to pick up arnott...2nd rd pick this year and a 4th next year please....that seems feasable considering the penn's circumstances

Maybe this thread should just get pinned, I bet there were be a few new threads a week on the same thing otherwise?

Arnott should be out.

Greene should be out.

Hedberg should be out if he is willing to go and anybody wants him for anything.

Zubrus can go if there is a decent deal that can be had for him.Rolston should get re-re-entry waived, just in case.

White can go if he wants, and if you've gotten rid of some of the 3 above, and you believe some of the better offseason defenseman are interested in going to the Devils. Otherwise he needs to be kept as a good value.

The others can go. Clarkson should stay, he's definitely overpaid but that Pelley-Setito-Clarkson line is a good 4th line. Zubrus, Rolston and Elias are also building some chemistry. These are two good lines to go with for next season IMO. Whitey is the bedrock of our defense and a solid leader for that core. Everything else you have posted I agree with.

Arnott should be out.

Greene should be out.

I agree except for the part about Greene. He is doing a lot better now under Lemaire than under MacLean. Would like to keep Zubs but if there is a good deal, then yeah I would have to say go for it.

The others can go. Clarkson should stay, he's definitely overpaid but that Pelley-Setito-Clarkson line is a good 4th line. Zubrus, Rolston and Elias are also building some chemistry. These are two good lines to go with for next season IMO. Whitey is the bedrock of our defense and a solid leader for that core. Everything else you have posted I agree with.

2nd this...i don't know if we could get anything of worth for greene anyway...i wouldn't through him away for a 3rd rd pick who most likely won't pay ever...prob couldn't even get a 3rd

I don't mean the Devils would want to trade White, but if you can take back no salary for him, just picks and/or prospects and are getting rid of Rolston and Clarkson, you can go out and upgrade him for a 5-6 million dollar guy who can distribute the puck better, but you have to know you can get rid of at least 2 of the 3 other guys. It also depends on what the team feels about Salvador possibly playing next year.

Greene is fine, but he's a free agent, trading him doesn't preclude having him be a Devils next season.

let me open this can of worms...marty if a 1st rd is offered

If Marty wanted to go, I would trade him for a 3rd rounder, at least logically. :lol: This gets into the whole "don't pay for goaltending" philosophy that I believe should exist now.

I don't think anybody really wants Marty though, and not for any significant return.

• Like 1

^That's absolutely laughable. People seriously need to stop even thinking about discussing a trade involving Marty. It will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER happen and if it does, it would be a great injustice to a HOF goalie who has given us a discount over his career to allow the Devils more flexibility to sign other players. Trading him would come close to making me denounce my support for this team.

^That's absolutely laughable. People seriously need to stop even thinking about discussing a trade involving Marty. It will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER happen and if it does, it would be a great injustice to a HOF goalie who has given us a discount over his career to allow the Devils more flexibility to sign other players. Trading him would come close to making me denounce my support for this team.

Chill, it's Marty pulling the strings anyway. If he wants to trade himself, he'll do it.

When he retires, he'll finally be able to dismiss Lou and stop pretending he's not the boss.

:burn:

You could at least get a decent return for Marty as a rental. There's plenty of teams bound for the playoffs(Detroit, Washington, Montreal) that wouldn't mind having a veteran presence in net for some playoff games.

Arnott should be out.

obviously.

Greene should be out.

this one i'm less sure of. i think lou should buck his trend of not negotiating in season and at least talk to greene's agent. if they're in the same ballpark i don't mind keeping him around. once he hits july 1, discounts usually go out the window. under 2 million and under 4 years makes for an acceptable greene contract, and almost certainly better than anything the devils could do on the open market.

if brodeur and frazee are back healthy, maybe. but we're not going to get anything for him, and the goalie depth in the organization is too thin. if only one of the two is healthy, that's 2 goalies on NHL contracts. unacceptable imo.

you're leaving the team without right wingers. one of the two can go, but i hope you're not fooled by a few palmieri goals into thinking he's got a spot here next year. tedenby also has a lot of questions to answer.

i don't think anyone's taking him. i probably wouldn't do this. if he's playing with elias until the end of the year maybe he goes on a hot streak and hits 20 goals, that might get someone interested in him for next year at 2.5 million.

this i wouldn't even consider. white's contract is a positive value deal, and it's got one year left, which is big. the tallinder and volchenkov contracts will explode before they end - the devils can't afford another time bomb sort of contract. that limits who they can sign.

Edited by Triumph

this one i'm less sure of. i think lou should buck his trend of not negotiating in season and at least talk to greene's agent. if they're in the same ballpark i don't mind keeping him around. once he hits july 1, discounts usually go out the window. under 2 million and under 4 years makes for an acceptable greene contract, and almost certainly better than anything the devils could do on the open market.

Greene hasn't had a big NHL payday yet, I don't think he's taking any discount from anyone, but that's just IMO, none of us know.

if brodeur and frazee are back healthy, maybe. but we're not going to get anything for him, and the goalie depth in the organization is too thin. if only one of the two is healthy, that's 2 goalies on NHL contracts. unacceptable imo.

You can go and grab some other mediocre goalie for even less than Hedberg just to fill the warmness of the bench and fill in. Like, just to make something up, PHX decides they'd prefer Hedberg over Lababera to back up. Ok, you swap the 2 of them and like a 4th round pick

you're leaving the team without right wingers. one of the two can go, but i hope you're not fooled by a few palmieri goals into thinking he's got a spot here next year. tedenby also has a lot of questions to answer. Like, just to make something up, PHX decides they'd prefer Hedberg over Lababera to back up. Ok, you swap the 2 of them and like a 4th round pick

But also freed up 6.667 million dollars for the next 3 years. Zubrus I don't mind money wise, but Clarkson is a train wreck at his salary. You can get a guy to do what he does for less, perhaps much less.

i don't think anyone's taking him. i probably wouldn't do this. if he's playing with elias until the end of the year maybe he goes on a hot streak and hits 20 goals, that might get someone interested in him for next year at 2.5 million.

I don't see how it hurts. You jettison him now for 2.5 million or he stays around. Or you jettison him in the offseason or he stays around. Either way, I don't see how taking a shot is harmful and it has the upside of getting rid of him.

this i wouldn't even consider. white's contract is a positive value deal, and it's got one year left, which is big. the tallinder and volchenkov contracts will explode before they end - the devils can't afford another time bomb sort of contract. that limits who they can sign.

White's contract is good, but if you've freed up other cash the team is better off using his money for something else, especially if Salvador is going to push to play next season. It's not a White is bad or has a bad contract thing, it's that White might not be the best fit. I put all sorts of disclaimers on White because I think it would take a bunch of special circumstances for it to make sense.

Are you talking about Labarbera for Hedberg and our 4th round pick? We can't expect to get LaB. plus a 4th round pick for a 37 year old goalie.

It was just an example. A team swapping their worse backup for Hedberg and the Devils get a little bonus for the swap. I don't think anyone cares that he's 37 if they're only going to have him the rest of this season. Hedberg is a guy people think can start over the short term....they probably think this because almost every goalie can. But he's gotten hot at the right times and gets positive media attention so I think his utility as a goalie is overrated by NHL teams.

Although for this example, I do think PHX would feel more comfy with Hedberg than Labarbera. I'd do it for even a 7th round pick coming with Labarbera. I'd do it for almost anything, Hedberg isn't Devils property this year, they aren't going anywhere this year, if you can turn no future value into any future value then the Devils should probably do it.

Greene hasn't had a big NHL payday yet, I don't think he's taking any discount from anyone, but that's just IMO, none of us know.

true enough, and it wouldn't be a huge discount nonetheless.

You can go and grab some other mediocre goalie for even less than Hedberg just to fill the warmness of the bench and fill in. Like, just to make something up, PHX decides they'd prefer Hedberg over Lababera to back up. Ok, you swap the 2 of them and like a 4th round pick

we're assuming a lot here.

But also freed up 6.667 million dollars for the next 3 years. Zubrus I don't mind money wise, but Clarkson is a train wreck at his salary. You can get a guy to do what he does for less, perhaps much less.

that's not a guarantee. with the cap continuing to go up and a lot of bad contracts ending, there's some room now for teams to make more mistakes. there aren't a lot of teams in cap hell.

I don't see how it hurts. You jettison him now for 2.5 million or he stays around. Or you jettison him in the offseason or he stays around. Either way, I don't see how taking a shot is harmful and it has the upside of getting rid of him.

the possibility exists that he will be here next year, and we don't need him to be senor sulks a lot. i'd rather trade him than waive him anyway.

White's contract is good, but if you've freed up other cash the team is better off using his money for something else, especially if Salvador is going to push to play next season. It's not a White is bad or has a bad contract thing, it's that White might not be the best fit. I put all sorts of disclaimers on White because I think it would take a bunch of special circumstances for it to make sense.

i can't imagine salvador pushing to play next season, and if it does, it's going to be in albany. he wasn't better than white when both of them were healthy.

Vancouver may offer a pretty penny for Greene. Salo is down, and Ballard is gonna be out for awhile too

what do you think they would offer for a d man in the bottom 15 in plus minus?

i figure a late pick andy greene is worth more then a 4th rd pick from van....andy greene has played more games then i would at least but much more then 80% of the 4th rd picks over the past seven years on a person by person basis...not cumluative basis obviously

i would love to unload but unless we're getting some real value i dont see why

seriously what could you expect best case for andy....anybody i figure 3rd pick at best no?