Devils at the Deadline

Derlique

I definitely hope Lou finds a way to get something for Arnott, Greene, and Hedberg. If the right deal comes along for Clarkson, I hope they take it. I really like Zubrus game and I think he can be a big contributor for this team in what I think can be a quick turnaround, though if the absolute perfect deal was offered, then I'd hope they take it. White is a guy I want to see stick around, solid vet for the unstable defense corps.

I'd be fine with letting Arnott go, along with Clarkson of course. If we find a buyer for Hedberg, fine. But I really don't want to trade Zubrus, White or Greene. I think they're all very important, and more vital than their stats show. Their cap hits are reasonable and I think until the wheels entirely come off again, they're not worth trading.

I dont see Moose or Greene going. Neither will Zubrus going as he is the hardest working player right now on the team beside Patty.

I do see Arnott and Clarkson going, possibly together in one trade which would be a great offer to put out there.

Moose will be gone after this season. His contract will not be renewed.

Edited by Quinn01

Moose is probably going to be kept for the rest of the year. Brodeur's injury woes throughout the year and particularly his current concern, really doesnt lend itself to moving Hedberg right now.

Greene is absolutely a strong candidate to be moved. He is a UFA and by all accounts will be testing the free agency waters. If someone offers a 2nd rounder and/or a prospect, Lou should take it. Green's value for us is only until the end of the year and he gets overrated because he's been very cheap. That's not going to stay that way. His play has picked up recently, but he's not a guy I'd invest a lot of money in considering he's not a top pairing guy nor a guy who tends to offer something significant on either the defensive or offensive end. He's a guy who when on his game can be steady and contribute in 5-5 hockey. The money we have locked into Tallinder and Volchenkov as well as White for another year doesnt help matters. I think Greene intends to take the highest offer in FA, and I'm certain there will be a few teams offering some nice money with security in terms of yrs, think 3 yrs, 9-10 million, around there.

I'll be honest though, if I was a team and I had the choice between Andy Greene and Chris Phillips, I might take Andy Greene considering what the Senators would ask for and having to deal with Phillips NTC. I don't get the hoopla over teams trying to trade for Phillips. He's been brutal without Volchenkov this year, and has been trending downward the past few seasons anyway. The times I have seen him play, he's been unimpressive.

Arnott is going to be highly sought after as he is a veteran with lots of playoff and Cup experience, and he is a center with size. He's going to bring back probably a 2nd, and I wouldnt be shocked with a little something added on, maybe another conditional pick or a prospect considering there's a few teams that could use him.

As much as I'd love to see it happen, Clarkson isn't getting moved.

Edited by coldply123

If someone offers a 2nd rounder and/or a prospect, Lou should take it. Green's value for us is only until the end of the year and he gets overrated because he's been very cheap.

Arnott is going to be highly sought after as he is a veteran with lots of playoff and Cup experience, and he is a center with size. He's going to bring back probably a 2nd, and I wouldnt be shocked with a little something added on, maybe another conditional pick or a prospect considering there's a few teams that could use him.

would take a 2nd rd pk for either...hopefully a couple teams shows interest in one or both and we can squeeze an extra late pick

i :pray: we draft well this year though...a lot of these 2nd rd picks dont amount to anything...but if we could find 2 guys who even make it to the nhl as quality 3rd line d or off ill be happy

I'm on board with the general idea that Greener could be let go because of his situation (ie, impending free agency and probable payday) and I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but...

For those of you who think we should get rid of him, what the hell do you expect our D to look like next year? Are you relying on free agency or prospects?

I'm on board with the general idea that Greener could be let go because of his situation (ie, impending free agency and probable payday) and I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but...

For those of you who think we should get rid of him, what the hell do you expect our D to look like next year? Are you relying on free agency or prospects?

Maybe a guy like Joe Corvo, even though he is awful at D. Unfortunately, we don't have any prospects who are PMD, unless you count Tao, and he isnt that strong in the defensive zone yet.

I should have specified, but you understood. I meant PMD.

I think Tao has a shot to be a good d-man, but other than Tallinder and Tao we have a lot of bruisers. We've gone from Neids (good, not evil) to Rafalski to Martin to Greene. I think we need to seriously consider keeping Andy around if no one is available to fully replace him.

I should have specified, but you understood. I meant PMD.

I think Tao has a shot to be a good d-man, but other than Tallinder and Tao we have a lot of bruisers. We've gone from Neids (good, not evil) to Rafalski to Martin to Greene. I think we need to seriously consider keeping Andy around if no one is available to fully replace him.

Yeah, I can't believe people want to get rid of Greene. He is our only real puck moving defenseman besides Matt Taormina (who looked good before a big injury) and Anssi Salmela (who is a project). This is the obvious biggest problem on the team after losing Martin, Oduya, and Mottau. That Greene has had a bad year so far is good for the Devils because it means we can sign him to a reasonable number. I'd be happy with anything less than Clarkson's contract, but obviously Parise's situation takes priority.

Of course anyone is available for the right price, but really what do your really think Andy Greene could get us in a deadline deal? Probably a draft pick, or midlevel prospect. Doesn't seem worth it.

So if the Devils don't trade Greene, can you guarantee he stays a Devil? I don't feel like not trading him gives the Devils a much better chance to re-sign him. He's looking for his first big payday, he'll go for the big money, I imagine. That might be the Devils, but he's not staying here just because they didn't trade him at the deadline. Also, trading him at the deadline doesn't stop the Devils from having him next season.

Maybe a guy like Joe Corvo, even though he is awful at D. Unfortunately, we don't have any prospects who are PMD, unless you count Tao, and he isnt that strong in the defensive zone yet.

Corvo was getting burned a lot last night, and looked really bad on Arnott's blind, backhanded feed to Tedenby, just sayin...

I don't know, the recent hot run puts LL back in the drivers seat looking for bargains. I can see Arnott going for the right deal, but now with the team under the cap and playing well I can see him doing nothing if he doesn't think it's a good deal.

exactly, with 3 weeks until the deadline, we'll know a lot more about their direction [i.e. - is this current streak the real team or are they only destined to come back to earth]

if we keep chipping away and over the next 7 games [not counting the Florida game the day before the deadline] get within single digits of the playoff hunt, i see us turning into buyers.