Continental Arena must go, James says

msweet

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it would be easier for you to drive to Bayhead and let the rails do all the work because otherwise you have to change trains at Long Branch. Thats one of the little annoying things about the North Jersey Coast line: the train goes to Long Branch and then continues on straight to Bayhead with none of the stops in between. To get to any of the stops in between there's a train that goes from Long Branch to Bayhead local.

It would be much easier for me as well. I live in Hoboken, which is about a 15 minute drive to CAA...provided one has a car.

Since I don't want to rent a car for a hockey game, I have to travel to NYC Port Authority to take a Bus back to NJ, which makes that 15 mintue trip from my apartment roughly 2.5 hours each way.

MSG has PATH connections to Hoboken, so I am forced to watch the Rangers minor league level quality of hockey sometimes twice a week (Ranger tickets are always free!).

The Newark arena has better access FROM NYC than CAA (NJ Transit buses/trains and the PATH) so the new arena would be a FAR superior location for Devil fans who work in NYC. Greater Access means greater attendance.

Upgraded Byrne Arena or simply the present Byrne depending on what happens. Since the governor has flatly refused to allow public money to go into the building of a new arena for the benefit of millionaire sports owners I must assume that it will simply be the current version of the Byrne Arena.

Not true -- the current plans for a renovated CAA within the Xanadu development envision a drastically scaled down facility of 8-10,000 seats designed to hold concerts and other family events. Zoffinger has been quoted on many occasions comparing the renovated CAA to the Theatre at MSG. They don't give a damn about hockey, because they lose a lot of money under current lease provisions, and don't see them getting any better under a new deal. On the contrary, NJSEA, McGreevey and Zoffinger see a downsized arena holding concerts and Dora the Explorer as a profit generating facility. I'm a democrat, but McGreevey is a snake (and it is an open secret in Trenton that he is homosexual, but that is another story . . .)

This hasn't been the retoric I've heard of late, though its what they were talking about doing way back a year and a half ago when the original Newark Arena plan was on the drawing board. If this is true, they're in essence going to create a locale for concerts of the sort that go to PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel. I'd like to see a theater in the Newark Arena as well, but one thats *actually* of the same sort as the Theater at MSG with some 1000 seats. That would bring the total of major theaters in downtown Newark to four and may open up a market for private theaters again.

you, with the newark airport doing so well, I think putting the arena in Newark would be excellent.

I think that I should beg, borrow and steal money and put up a hotel nearby, where all the incoming teams can stay.

I know a lot of casual devils fans in the city, as well as some good friends down near Trenton. Put a rail line near the stadium, and its as good as done.

But also, I hope the NHL (especially the devils), cut ticket prices considerably after the new CBA. I think if the tickets were about 10-20% cheaper, there woudl be more asses in the seats.

Actually there are a few nice downtown Newark hotels already in the area and

raring to go that would be good enough for the NHL teams.... I know this cause my

sister's wedding reception was in the Newark Center and it was GOREGOUS there,

and being in the wedding party we all got put up in a downtown hotel so the family

could get snotted at the reception :D

msweet, they are building a subway that will go from Broad St Station to Penn Station so it would still be convenient for people on the green and brown lines.

The purple line only has weekday rush hour service so it doesn't really count.

That's still 2 trains.

Not going to happen for me.

There is no chance I'm going to stand in a Broad Street Newark Subway station with my wife and kids on a cold winter night.

The driving options better be there or all of the fans from puple and green line areas will be gone.

If they really care about us???

The link between Broad Street Station and Penn Station makes the following stops: Broad Street Train Station (not to be confused with the Broad Street subway station), Riverfront Stadium, Washington Park, NJPAC and Penn Station. If you're really so desperate to avoid standing in a station in Newark you can take the train to the Secaucus Transfer and come back with that. It'll take another 15 minutes but might give you that peace of mind. Or if you want I'll start running a shuttle service from Broad Street Station ;) $1 a head.

There is no chance I'm going to stand in a Broad Street Newark Subway station with my wife and kids on a cold winter night.

The driving options better be there or all of the fans from puple and green line areas will be gone.

If they really care about us???

I can vouch for freezing my can off in Newark Subway stations after seeing a Devils

game by train this year :)

and it's a tough thing they DO care about the fans but they DON'T.. it's not the

fan base that is the Devils issue.. it's corporate and luxury box sales that they

are worrying about... also another not-mentioned but problem the Devils have

(Nets too).. they're NOT tied to a city.. like every other team in the NHL is...

yeah the Senators play outside the city too, but they HAD to (at least that was

Sara's explanation when I went there) and they are the only NHL game in town

as we have plenty of competition to concern ourselves with also.. which is another

reason why a move to NJ's main city makes sense (to me at least)

The link between Broad Street Station and Penn Station makes the following stops: Broad Street Train Station (not to be confused with the Broad Street subway station), Riverfront Stadium, Washington Park, NJPAC and Penn Station. If you're really so desperate to avoid standing in a station in Newark you can take the train to the Secaucus Transfer and come back with that. It'll take another 15 minutes but might give you that peace of mind. Or if you want I'll start running a shuttle service from Broad Street Station ;) $1 a head.

Extra 15 minutes...2 trains...all of this is just b.s.

For those FEW of you who actually PAY for season's tickets and POST here, you'll understand what I'm about to say. For the rest of you Newark loving folk who spew train, public transportation garbage, but don't pay the Devil's bills you can listen too... but before you respond, remember I pay the bills.. you don't.

In order to afford to pay for Devil's season tickets, one must have a day job that pays for those tickets. Now let's say you are lucky enough to only work 9-5 (and still are able to afford those tickets)...

What you guys are proposing is that us working/paying folk do is go home from work at 5, eat dinner, grab our jersey's, our wives and kids, drive to the train. Wait for the train. Take the train to a transfer station in Newark or Secaucus. Wait for another Train/Subway/Bus. Go through Newark and exit at the stadium. Walk to the arena from the station. After the game, we should then wait for the Train/Subway/Bus, take that to a transfer station. Wait for the train. take the train home to the station. And then get up for work the next day. And do this for 41 home games plus playoffs.

Are you all f-ing nuts?

Find me someone who actually pays for season's tickets that is willing to do that.

I'm not.

Which is why, if they want to keep any of the 12,000 current paying season ticket holders, they better have a very good driving solution for EWR.

If you are not ever going to buy season's tickets, your feeling and thoughts about the location of the arena are meaningless to me.

Stop advocating something you are not willing to pay for.

I think that's a very good post msweet, and sums up the position against Newark very well... and within it, you point out some things implicit in ND5's general argument.

ND5 is NOT proposing your schedule. Ideally, I think he believes that one would not go home after work on a Devils' game night, but would rather go from work directly to Newark to eat dinner, and then go to the game. Implicit in this is that most of the people he thinks the team can get at are single. Families compose a lot of the season ticket holders now. It's clear that has not worked well enough.

And he's claiming, although I think spuriously, that there will be no traffic problems, so that driving will be easy too.

I already have weekend season tickets (my job can have me working all day long

.. or sometimes 4 times a month :P ).. and it's too unstable to be able to get weeknights

games, and it's a little bit out of my financial means, but I'll be doing more of the

same of this if the Devils are in Newark (well that depends... if I get the work at the

building next door to Newark/Penn I'd go to weeknight night games)... so I MIGHT

be the exception there.. but I'll take the short (for me) train right as opposed to the

aggrivation of Route 21... I could be the execption, but I can give good directions

from the parkway to the Roselle Park train stop for anyone who'd want them :D

There is no arena solution that is going to appeal to everyone (except Secaucus and that ship has sailed). I do not have season tickets now as to go home from work and then drive the Meadowlands would mean that I would always miss the first period. I am married and do not have kids but assuming there is an arena in Newark and I did have kids I would have my wife and kid get on a train, meet me in Newark for a nice dinner, go to the game and then the three of us take the train home together afterwards. For a lot of people it is one train. Looking at a map it looks like it would be an inexpensive taxi between Broad St Station and where they propose the arena to be. I do not know what your big aversion to taking the Newark Subway thing is. It is not like NJ Transit trains that only run a few times an hour they are like NYC Subway trains that run every few minutes and I am sure they would be scheduled to connect for when your train arrives at Newark Broad St and when the game ends.

I think that's a very good post msweet, and sums up the position against Newark very well... and within it, you point out some things implicit in ND5's general argument.

ND5 is NOT proposing your schedule. Ideally, I think he believes that one would not go home after work on a Devils' game night, but would rather go from work directly to Newark to eat dinner, and then go to the game. Implicit in this is that most of the people he thinks the team can get at are single. Families compose a lot of the season ticket holders now. It's clear that has not worked well enough.

And he's claiming, although I think spuriously, that there will be no traffic problems, so that driving will be easy too.

But my schedule is very typical of the current PAYING season ticket holder.

And eat in EWR 41 night a year? Yikes.

See, if you do NOT OWN SEASON's tickets, the length of the hockey season (41 games) and the commitment necessary to go, is hard to understand.

In order to go to 41 games plus playoffs, this must be a part of your lifestyle... not just a special event.

While I admire ND5's conviction and I wish all posters with a cause would argue as articulately and with as much information as he does, he really can't be credible, until I see his $2500/seat for his season's tickets.

I'm also hoping that the concessions in the new arena will be of the level of dallas,

phily, and the California arenas and not the school caefteria level food we get at the

swamp now and that would help with the eating concerns too

(yeah that can happen no matter where the arena is, but some edible food in the

arena WOULD be nice !!)

From Gladstone and Dover it takes approximately an hour to an hour and ten minutes to get to Broad Street Newark by train. From Broad Street Newark to Penn Station via the new link it should take under 10 minutes. From Penn Station to the arena site it takes approximately 5 minutes to walk. That makes for an hour and a half trip from the two train stations furthest out on the Morris and Essex lines that have service at night. From closer stations, ones within Essex County, it takes much less than that. For example, from Summit it takes a half an hour into Broad Street Station which combined with the link and the walking makes it about 45 minutes. Assumably, the Link will be timed to coincide with train arrivals at Broad Street Station making the transfer easy and relatively seamless. As for the driving solution, if you live in Essex County you have one of two options: take one of the many major roads that radiate out from downtown Newark (Springfield Avenue, Bloomfield Avenue, South Orange Avenue, etc.) and continue throughout the county or take 280 in and get off at Broad Street and take that all of a mile down. Given that most people dislike the sight of slums and Springfield Avenue and South Orange Avenue are both slum type areas, unless you are from the Montclair area and have the option of Bloomfield Avenue straight in I'd suggest 280.

What I'd tend to suggest is that you go directly to Newark from work and meet your family there. If you don't like the idea of eating in Newark 41 times a year (I understand, it does get expensive depending on where you go) I'd suggest that on days that you're not in the mood to eat in Newark you drive and on days that you're in the mood for whats available in the Brick City then take mass transit.

What I'd tend to suggest is that you go directly to Newark from work and meet your family there. If you don't like the idea of eating in Newark 41 times a year (I understand, it does get expensive depending on where you go) I'd suggest that on days that you're not in the mood to eat in Newark you drive and on days that you're in the mood for whats available in the Brick City then take mass transit.

You are suggesting what I or other fans do? Huh?

You just simply don't understand the nature of being a season ticket holder.

It's not about the cost of 41 dining experiences in EWR.... It's about eating out 41 nights a year?! When to do that after work and before a game...btwn 5 and 7?.... How is that healthy?

41 games is a life style.

To take the train, many of us is suburban areas would have to get on wait lists for Train Lot permits in many towns cost over $500 per year to get such a permit. Parking is not free in the suburbs. In addition we'd have to pay I'd guess a minimum of of $10 round trip train fair PER PERSON!!!! For me that would be an extra $50 per game x 41 games plus playoffs. That's an $2500 just in transit costs. Right now I pay $10 parking (next to the arena), $2 tolls (Tpke... only $1 for Parkway), and $3 in gas per game. That's $15x41=$600 per year.

You ideal train commute time is about an hour door to door with no problems. This is after you've worked all day x 41!!!!!!

ND5 you should put up $$$$ before you suggest the rest of us paying season ticket holders do this.

I once again say if you are not willing to put up $$$ for season's tickets then shutup.

Ya know msweet you're right, but, I'm sure for every person like you that is not willing to go to Newark, there is some family in Monmouth, Ocean, or Middlesex counties looking to buy season tickets IF there were public transport. I know I would be one of them.

Also, if the proposed MOM line ever gets built, there would be easier access to even more people in the three mentioned counties.

I know this is different in each town but in all the train stations here you only pay if you park before 9:30AM. After that it is free (it is always free if you are a resident of the town).

If the train doesn't work for you then drive. Noone is saying you have to take the train but the train is an option in Newark where it is not an option now.

For me and my wife and lets just say a 10 year old kid on a weekend (i.e. not going from work to the game):

For The Meadowlands:

Parking $10

Parkway Tolls: $1.20

Turnpike Tolls: $4.20

Gas: $4.60

------

Total: $20 total commute time 2.5-3 hrs

For a Newark Arena:

Parking: $0

Tolls: $0

Gas: Negligible

Train tickets:

Me: free (monthly pass to New York)

Wife: $9.50

Kid: free ($5.25 on weekdays)

Total: $9.50 (14.25) total commute time 105 mins (includes 15 mins estimate for wating for a train after the game)

Are you referring to the Freehold line, Sammy? They've been talking about opening that up for years. I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Yah, the Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex line. I did say IF, not when. :P

I know it'll take forever if it ever does get done with all the NIMBY crap going on, as well as other issues.