Ticket Price Discounting Discussion

Colin226

I'm still more upset that I have to spend $10 to park each game(well, park and path train, I admit, I'm a cheap bastard) instead of knowing all the ins and outs of parking for free at the meadowlands.

You can park on the street for free in Newark any time after 6pm (in metered spots) or you can park down by the Hell's Kitchen area for free.

Alright I'll have to give it a try.. What are the main channels that you've been able to successfully resell through? StubHub sucks because they charge the buyer and seller fees.. I feel like a lot of people check StubHub, but it's really hard to compete on there without essentially giving away the tickets..

I mean I've never been a typical complainer Devils fan.. Hell, I love the magnetic picture frame thing we got this year for the holiday gift.. I think the meet and greets are a lot of fun, and I love going to any game I want.. I just feel like tiered pricing would benefit both the STH and the team by capitalizing off of high demand games, and having lower prices without needing $50+ off discounts for low demand games.. The discounts won't even be that much of an issue for me after this season, but I genuinely think the team would benefit from a different pricing strategy

I've done Stubhub, posted on HF and the FB page and I've done craigslist. I usually put the tickets up there and try and get the $30 for the tickets. When you put in there how much you want to charge, you can see how much you're going to get.

Yeah see I didn't like that gift, but I just said it is what it is. As far as pricing, I think they realized it's a problem and hopefully they're working on that problem.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't go but know it's a joke?

You were supposed to print tickets, forgot and got screwed. Maybe if you printed the tickets like you were supposed to you woulnd't have gotten screwed.

We both called the Devils a bunch of times and I guess they don't operate on non game day Saturdays.

Jaime,

Thank you for responding to my post honestly. I know we usually see eye to eye on things but I'm glad you'll at least tell me when you disagree.

The discount on parking... are you talking about a fee you pay when you buy your season tickets that translates to 14 or so a game? If so, then I stand corrected.

But I will maintain that being a NJ Devils season ticket holder is quite worthless. Your situation in the corners is unique because no new accounts can be set up in that section. I begged them and said the only way I can afford season tickets is in those sections they said no way.

How about the upper level seats? 37$ face value. 30$ for season ticket holders. If you have two... you won't make your money back. Go on Stubhub. Anyone that knows about Stubhub can go to the game Wednesday for under 10$. We lost 60$ trying to sell two pairs of tickets to the last Hurricanes game.

We sat downstairs that game for 14 per ticket. The face value is 85$. Whoever had those lost a ton of money on that game.

It also doesn't help that the Devils have to dip their hands in everything to charge when tickets are e-mailed or printed.

Yeah I'm bitter about the way this team does things. I'm also bitter about how frequently they call offering us ticket packages, offering free tours of the arena and showing me ticket packages when they promise they won't ask about it.

All in all... my point is... given the attendance numbers, they should be doing things a little differently.

They seem to care lately. They made it cheaper to get up into the Acela club.

Yeah see I didn't like that gift, but I just said it is what it is. As far as pricing, I think they realized it's a problem and hopefully they're working on that problem.

Just to let you know... the ticket rep that I usually deal with actually told me they had representatives from the league in closed door think tank session meetings to come up with better fan friendly pricing plans and such. They are definitely trying to fix it. Come to think of it, that guy was fired too haha.

Edited by njdevil26

Its useless to bring up Club seats in this discussion. Those aren't for "normal" Joes.

The Ottawa game a few weeks ago, we met a guy in Brick City who gave us Club seats for free. The weather was sh!tty and two of his clients (key word) couldnt make it and he wanted to give the tickets to a "fan" which was awesome needless to say as I had not gotten to sit there before. Super nice guy needless to say. Anyway, we started talking about season tickets, and he tells me that the Club section is 99.9% corporate (as his are, as he owns a company) and they can all write them off come tax time. The majority of people in clubs are out-of-towners who pay the premium to sit there or casual fans. I heard so many people saying "Ive never been to a hockey game before" or "Im a Rangers fan but these were free from work". Stuff like that whilst chowing down on the free food. The write up cost wise is amazingly disgusting too outside of that area.

The regular joes like the majority of fans on this forum definitely are the ones taken to the cleaners in season tickets. I had a partial plan shortly after I first moved back (got back first week of November) and theres no way Im renewing it this season. Im currently debating with myself about seasons next year. Im leaning towards yes, but I also want to see how this season turns out and how we look after free agency and all that crap.

People keep bringing up that they are taking a beating on Wednesday's game while not mentioning how much they made selling the Rangers/Flyers games. You want people to by the tickets you don't want to use to for face?

I understand that people are having a hard time selling their tickets for mid-week games against lame teams. But as long as you view this as a financial you can't expect the team to view it differently.

People keep bringing up that they are taking a beating on Wednesday's game while not mentioning how much they made selling the Rangers/Flyers games. You want people to by the tickets you don't want to use to for face?

I understand that people are having a hard time selling their tickets for mid-week games against lame teams. But as long as you view this as a financial you can't expect the team to view it differently.

There's a different between Paying 60 dollars and making back 40... or making back eight. That's my reason for using Wednesday as an example. Flyer and Penguin tickets aren't relevant either. They don't warrant face value anyway all the time anyway. If I pay 60 for two tickets.. and I make back 40... that's fine. I'll eat the extra 20 because that's just how it is. But putting down over two thousand dollars to reserve seats to every game... and then find out that people are getting tickets for 5-15-20 dollars for BETTER seats just doesn't sit well with me. Being a STH for the Habs, Rangers, Hawks, Caps and so on have it's perks and advantages.... but for the Devils right now... it's a disadvantage.

Also, I think Colin is really feeling this reselling problem because he's trying to move more than half of his tickets this year. Personally, I don't think you should get seasons or a plan for that matter unless you intend on attending at least 80% of the games you have.

Definitely a fair point. I generally attend 2/3 of games a year, so it's not like I take a total beating in the $15 section when I have to eat one ticket for certain games or two for a few.

Also fair. I don't even get personally offended when the Devils offer deep discounts, I know how the game works. If we sold out every game like in Pittsburgh or Washington nothing would be discounted. I just think they're shooting themselves in the foot and SHOULD be treating sth's better than they do.

As far as the meet and greet, I know at least one person on another message board who forgot to print out the tickets that showed up to the box office, gave them their id and were fine. Maybe you didn't want to drive all the way there from wherever you were coming from, and they should have at least given you a better answer on the phone.

Its useless to bring up Club seats in this discussion. Those aren't for "normal" Joes.

The Ottawa game a few weeks ago, we met a guy in Brick City who gave us Club seats for free. The weather was sh!tty and two of his clients (key word) couldnt make it and he wanted to give the tickets to a "fan" which was awesome needless to say as I had not gotten to sit there before. Super nice guy needless to say. Anyway, we started talking about season tickets, and he tells me that the Club section is 99.9% corporate (as his are, as he owns a company) and they can all write them off come tax time. The majority of people in clubs are out-of-towners who pay the premium to sit there or casual fans. I heard so many people saying "Ive never been to a hockey game before" or "Im a Rangers fan but these were free from work". Stuff like that whilst chowing down on the free food. The write up cost wise is amazingly disgusting too outside of that area.

Thanks for bringing this side of the seasons up as it's very true. Sat down in the clubs last week for the Carolina game and it's amazing that a) 90% of the people who sit there don't wear anything red, nevermind a jersey and b) how 60% of them don't even stand for the goals. You can tell that the majority are people who got them from corporate accounts and the like. It's also fairly easy to see who has seats there and who the real fans are who just got a good deal. The sad thing is that these corporations are the big spenders, getting the most attention from the team yet they usually are the least passionate fans. Yes, there are exceptions, but that's the sad fact.

Definitely a fair point. I generally attend 2/3 of games a year, so it's not like I take a total beating in the $15 section when I have to eat one ticket for certain games or two for a few.

Also fair. I don't even get personally offended when the Devils offer deep discounts, I know how the game works. If we sold out every game like in Pittsburgh or Washington nothing would be discounted. I just think they're shooting themselves in the foot and SHOULD be treating sth's better than they do.

As far as the meet and greet, I know at least one person on another message board who forgot to print out the tickets that showed up to the box office, gave them their id and were fine. Maybe you didn't want to drive all the way there from wherever you were coming from, and they should have at least given you a better answer on the phone.

Actually, there was no answer on the phone. Both me and the guy with the account called multiple times and we left messages and called back and got no one all Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

I've done Stubhub, posted on HF and the FB page and I've done craigslist. I usually put the tickets up there and try and get the $30 for the tickets. When you put in there how much you want to charge, you can see how much you're going to get.

Well when you have $7.50 tickets essentially because of the free seats and go to every game, it's almost impossible not to make a profit at that point despite the Devils' best efforts :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

There's a different between Paying 60 dollars and making back 40... or making back eight. That's my reason for using Wednesday as an example. Flyer and Penguin tickets aren't relevant either. They don't warrant face value anyway all the time anyway. If I pay 60 for two tickets.. and I make back 40... that's fine. I'll eat the extra 20 because that's just how it is. But putting down over two thousand dollars to reserve seats to every game... and then find out that people are getting tickets for 5-15-20 dollars for BETTER seats just doesn't sit well with me. Being a STH for the Habs, Rangers, Hawks, Caps and so on have it's perks and advantages.... but for the Devils right now... it's a disadvantage.

You've been with this team awhile. Mid-week games vs. teams outside the division are lousy draws. I know this is not news to you. The team stinking the joint up and then papering the house sucks. But this is the risk. Discounts have been out there since the CAA days.

I do understand and I'm not trying to give you a difficult time. I just feel you are cherry picking data to make your point and not showing the broader picture.

You've been with this team awhile. Mid-week games vs. teams outside the division are lousy draws. I know this is not news to you. The team stinking the joint up and then papering the house sucks. But this is the risk. Discounts have been out there since the CAA days.

I do understand and I'm not trying to give you a difficult time. I just feel you are cherry picking data to make your point and not showing the broader picture.

While I agree with you... it just supports my overall point a little more. The Devils MAIN focus group is the young kids to 20-30 age range. Once the people in that range have kids we get a whole new generation of fans. Devils tickets are priced based on the success of this team and not based on the fans that can afford them.

When tickets are so expensive... what is the ticket holder supposed to do? Of course they will spend the money on the Ranger, Flyer, Penguin, Capitals games... and not the Tuesday or Wednesday versus Carolina and Ottawa. But if pricing options were better and there was a broader range of options... people would go to those games and then not have a problem buying tickets for a lesser opponent because it won't put too much of a hole in the wallet. It's definitely just a battle of opinions here so no one's right... it's just the way I feel. I will still go to games as long as I'm breathing... price doesn't matter to me but it does to so many.

Actually, there was no answer on the phone. Both me and the guy with the account called multiple times and we left messages and called back and got no one all Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

Oh well that's pretty inconvenient. Guess the only other thing you could have done other than show up that day was maybe e-mail your ticket rep or the Devils beforehand.

But they really should have someone available every day during the season on the phone, god forbid someone wants to buy a partial plan or seasons on a random Saturday and get turned off by the fact nobody takes their call :lol:

Just to let you know... the ticket rep that I usually deal with actually told me they had representatives from the league in closed door think tank session meetings to come up with better fan friendly pricing plans and such. They are definitely trying to fix it. Come to think of it, that guy was fired too haha.

I'm very excited to see next season's pricing, especially if they brought in people from the league to help out.. Sometimes, an outside opinion helps a lot.. Like I said, my rep says there will be discounts around the arena so I'm pretty certain that 226 will see a reduction.. Then again, it won't matter if the discounted prices are still less than what I pay :lol:

Jaime,

Thank you for responding to my post honestly. I know we usually see eye to eye on things but I'm glad you'll at least tell me when you disagree.

The discount on parking... are you talking about a fee you pay when you buy your season tickets that translates to 14 or so a game? If so, then I stand corrected.

Yeah you can buy prepaid parking passes through the team and then some of the lots will work with you outside of the team and you can get it for cheaper sometimes.

But I will maintain that being a NJ Devils season ticket holder is quite worthless. Your situation in the corners is unique because no new accounts can be set up in that section. I begged them and said the only way I can afford season tickets is in those sections they said no way.

How about the upper level seats? 37$ face value. 30$ for season ticket holders. If you have two... you won't make your money back. Go on Stubhub. Anyone that knows about Stubhub can go to the game Wednesday for under 10$. We lost 60$ trying to sell two pairs of tickets to the last Hurricanes game.

I understand where you're coming from, but you also know that this is a possibility every game. It's the Devils and mid-week games are never crowded.

It also doesn't help that the Devils have to dip their hands in everything to charge when tickets are e-mailed or printed.

Haha - I totally agree with you here. I could understand if I was forwarding the tickets to someone, but if I'm printing them out, why do I have to pay $1.95.

All in all... my point is... given the attendance numbers, they should be doing things a little differently.

At the end of the day, they are also a business. If they are selling discounted tickets and people are still buying concessions, they're still making money at the end of the day.

I've heard this a few times and it should happen. There's no reason that the people that sit right next to the people paying $10 ($15)/game should be paying $37, which is the same as people at center ice. It's ridiculous.

Hey did anyone mention... the food card give-aways are really convenient and guys like my husband will feel free to spring for beer :doh1: so people still spend as much really.

Those food cards are worthless. I see them give away $10 cards if you purchase $59 seats so that basically covers 1 beer and little else or a cheeseburger. Or what I can do is spend $30 on stubhub (after fees) and then spend $4.50 on 2 slices of pizza and a can of soda at that place in gateway plaza. I just saved $25 there. I rarely if ever get food at the Rock anymore and will only get those free sodas from the designated driver booths. I never get beers there anyways as they are a ripoff and all they have is that swill called Bud. Yeah I know they have other options for beer but that is either even more overpriced or usually sold out.

Not only that, but after or before the game I can go to Port 44 for a beer that is half the price as at the Rock and is a lot better in quality.

Edited by DevsMan84

Those food cards are worthless. I see them give away $10 cards if you purchase $59 seats so that basically covers 1 beer and little else or a cheeseburger. Or what I can do is spend $30 on stubhub (after fees) and then spend $4.50 on 2 slices of pizza and a can of soda at that place in gateway plaza. I just saved $25 there. I rarely if ever get food at the Rock anymore and will only get those free sodas from the designated driver booths. I never get beers there anyways as they are a ripoff and all they have is that swill called Bud. Yeah I know they have other options for beer but that is either even more overpriced or usually sold out.

Not only that, but after or before the game I can go to Port 44 for a beer that is half the price as at the Rock and is a lot better in quality.

We have dinner and drinks at the Arena Lounge before every game. Let's say each of us have three beers and dinner. Dinner is 9$ and beer is 4$ each.... 42$ right there. In the arena, 8$ beers at three each and dinner at let's say 10$ each and it's 64$ or so. What do you think is the most sensible option? The Devils want people to come early and and eat and drink during the game... they have to make the prices more attractive.

Could you explain this a little more. DD booths?

Could you explain this a little more. DD booths?

There's a booth downstairs outside the Fire Lounge (closer to the old Verizon Tower), you fill out a form and you get a coupon for a free soda. Later in the game they draw a name from those who signed up and you have a chance of winning a prize pack and a $100 gift cert to Calandra's restaurant.

I won a few games ago - can't wait to use my gift cert.

There's a booth downstairs outside the Fire Lounge (closer to the old Verizon Tower), you fill out a form and you get a coupon for a free soda. Later in the game they draw a name from those who signed up and you have a chance of winning a prize pack and a $100 gift cert to Calandra's restaurant.

Wow thanks, greatly appreciated.

Also with every game, it seems the cups they serve you in get bigger and bigger. Last week the cup I got was just slightly smaller than the cup they use for the regular medium sodas.

We have dinner and drinks at the Arena Lounge before every game. Let's say each of us have three beers and dinner. Dinner is 9$ and beer is 4$ each.... 42$ right there. In the arena, 8$ beers at three each and dinner at let's say 10$ each and it's 64$ or so. What do you think is the most sensible option? The Devils want people to come early and and eat and drink during the game... they have to make the prices more attractive.

Remember when Wysh did a story on his Puck Daddy blog about the price per ounce of beers in every arena? I think I remember the Devils being in the top 5 highest of the entire league, and he was using prices from last year when it was a dollar cheaper!

Been meaning to do that.. Odds are that I'll win eventually lol

Remember when Wysh did a story on his Puck Daddy blog about the price per ounce of beers in every arena? I think I remember the Devils being in the top 5 highest of the entire league, and he was using prices from last year when it was a dollar cheaper!

It's such a joke too because they could literally install a beer pipe from the Bud factory to PruCenter, it's so close.. How does our area not have enough money to attend games, but when fans do, they don't mind spending a ton for beer?

The food cards may be worthless to your drunken gluttonous arse :P I was able to feed my daughter and I on one :noclue: We didn't get the Chico Eats fare, nor did we have any alcohol.

I dont think you need to say the cards suck just because you find no use for it in your life. For me - It makes the difference between taking the offer up or not.

Edited by Pepperkorn