Mission Control

Colin226

Coming live from Mission Control in the Devils office.. We just launched live on www.newjerseydevils.com and Id like to ask your thoughts.. If you didn't catch it, I'm sure they will have it up on the site soon..

For those who don't know, Mission Control is the Devils' new social media command center.. It's the first of it's kind in sports.. It's run by 25 fans known as the Devils Army Generals.. The program is still in it's infancy but expect a lot of cool things like giveaways and promotions.. There will also be Facebook, Twitter, and a blog..

Check out the Mission Control launch on www.newjerseydevils.com and follow us on Twitter @devilsgenerals

Im the main General on NJDevs so I'd like to hear your thoughts and suggestions

Edited by Colin226

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks cool but I'm at work so I can't watch the video. Could you give a brief description?

He just did lol.

Its cool, but I want to see how its utilized. Our fanbase is devoted in certain segments, and completely lackadaisical and embarrassing in others. Ideas are great, but implementation is key. Lets see where we're at in a year with it and if it has had any effect.

Its definitely a great idea and Im noticing on Twitter that many are buzzing about it. Undoubtedly other franchises will take the idea and run with it as well.

Looks cool but I'm at work so I can't watch the video. Could you give a brief description?

That's tough lol.. Mission Control is a room in the team office with 2 computers, each with 3 screens.. Plus 2 wall mounted TVs.. Plus we get iPads to tweet and post live during games

So it's pretty awesome and the team is really trying to get more in touch with the fans.. This was a huge investment financially

Mission Control is a room in the team office with 2 computers, each with 3 screens.. Plus 2 wall mounted TVs.. Plus we get iPads to tweet and post live during games

This is all wonderful (sarcasm), but what do the fans get out of it besides mountains of tweets that all say the same thing? Disregard the giveaways and such as theres not been any yet.

That is one of the biggest problems Im finding with the whole thing. I follow a few of the Generals and they all repeat the same crap ad nauseum. There needs to be delineation rather than just a bunch of heads all spouting the same nonsense. I can only take so many "Watch now" tweets before head explosion.

If it gives the fanbase more of a voice with management, it's awesome, as long as that voice isn't the dolts on their facebook page. My God what an embarrassment. Anyway, I really regret not "applying" for this back in December and let's give this some time to work itself out and appreciate that they're the first team to do something like this. I mean could you really see James Dolan doing something like this?

Don't really see the point..these things aren't gonna bring in more fans and seems like it's overhyped. I'm all for improving the fan experience, just not convinced this will do much.

I see a point to it as it definitely will get more awareness of the Devils depending on its implementation down the road. Right now, it feels haphazard. If I was in charge, each "General" (I really hate the Army connotation) would have a specific role and not all just be the same head on the same beast.

All the baloney about "Come meet the Generals" and that sort of thing is silly. And on Twitter, I really only need to follow the Devils feed, since the Generals all RT the same exact thing that the main Generals feed tweets or reword it their own way.

I like the idea of the team reaching out to the fans via social media. I just dont like the early organization of it too much as its had no effect on me as a fan that follows the team yet and is a marketing ploy that is all noise and no substance so far.

If it gives the fanbase more of a voice with management, it's awesome, as long as that voice isn't the dolts on their facebook page. My God what an embarrassment. Anyway, I really regret not "applying" for this back in December and let's give this some time to work itself out and appreciate that they're the first team to do something like this. I mean could you really see James Dolan doing something like this?

In fairness, James Dolan doesnt need to do it when the Knicks are selling out night in and night out. Teams like the Devils need to do it just to get awareness. I like the idea, dont get me wrong.

I'm also curious to see how well that $22 promotion for tonight went. If the mezzanine and balconies are packed, I think that's a good indicator of how this social media thing is working out so far. That wasn't promoted anywhere but on facebook and twitter. I realize they have a $10 email promo for tonight as well, but they had that for the last game against Carolina and it was one of the smallest crowds of the season so that didn't spread too far.

*EDIT* Just checked that $22 offer and the most they have is 2 tickets together right now. Guess that was a success.

Edited by skeeter

I realize they have a $10 email promo for tonight as well, but they had that for the last game against Carolina and it was one of the smallest crowds of the season so that didn't spread too far.

*EDIT* Just checked that $22 offer and the most they have is 2 tickets together right now. Guess that was a success.

NVM the $10 offer is for Friends and Family of the Devils and isnt really public, but gets out publicly.

Edited by ghdi

I'm skeptical about this. It looks like they basically re-fitted a broom closet with wifi and some computers which will allow some people to re-tweet what is already out on the web. Maybe i'm short-sighted but I don't see the benefit of this over the current Devils twitter/facebook except for the few "generals" that get to hang out there and feel special.

Just a shot in the dark here, but maybe the point isn't so much what the team can bring to the fans, but what the fans bring to the team. If you post something on the team's Facebook page or Tweet them, not only is someone reading it, but someone right there down the hall from Lou and VBK.

I really, really, really doubt the team invested all this money into something just so we can get more tweets saying "OMG Kovy rulz".

I'm kinda curious about this. I will look at this later and hopefully form an opinion then.

Mike

This is all wonderful (sarcasm), but what do the fans get out of it besides mountains of tweets that all say the same thing? Disregard the giveaways and such as theres not been any yet.

That is one of the biggest problems Im finding with the whole thing. I follow a few of the Generals and they all repeat the same crap ad nauseum. There needs to be delineation rather than just a bunch of heads all spouting the same nonsense. I can only take so many "Watch now" tweets before head explosion.

Today was the launch, so previously we were just checking our platforms to make sure they function properly.. It's a work in progress and we know that, so what would get you to follow?

I really do not know what to make of this. All I do know is that this is a room I will never be able to enter at the arena so I guess it has no large immediate impact on me.

I will give this idea some time and see how I feel about it then.

There are lots of places in this arena that you may never see.. Give it time. We want it to be accepted by fans, so plz add any suggestions

Don't really see the point..these things aren't gonna bring in more fans and seems like it's overhyped. I'm all for improving the fan experience, just not convinced this will do much.

Today was only the start so like I keep saying, give it a shot.. The supporters section group was initially shunned by a lot of Devils fans, even after the first game December.. But now it's grown to be something the fans embrace.. Hoping for a similar scenario here..

The goal is to pack the house with screaming fans like Philly and Montreal are good at doing

Just a shot in the dark here, but maybe the point isn't so much what the team can bring to the fans, but what the fans bring to the team. If you post something on the team's Facebook page or Tweet them, not only is someone reading it, but someone right there down the hall from Lou and VBK.

I really, really, really doubt the team invested all this money into something just so we can get more tweets saying "OMG Kovy rulz".

This might make sense. They should market it that way then. I could see the OP bringing ideas from this forum to marketing (for instance).

Like I said, I'm all for selling tickets and enhancing the experience, I'm just not convinced retweeting or echoing the Devils facebook is going to give me any information I'm not already exposed to. I won't write it off right now, that would not be fair, I'm just throwing out my initial reaction.

Good angle DIG, that's certainly an interesting take. I watched the video tour of "Mission Control" and it looks like this couldn't have been a cheap endeavor, so I hope it works out and maybe brings the team and the fans closer together. We shall see.

Exactly.. But its fine.. New things are rarely embraced immediately and we understand that.. So as this grows, Id like feedback about it.. People on here are already pretty passionate, but the typical Devils fan maybe checks the standings once a week and goes to a game or two a season..

So we want to get them more into the sport and team, and the organization's view is that the best ambassadors for the team are the more passionate fans.. I mean, most people I know were brought to their first game by a fan.. How many of us have brought friends and/or family into the sport and made them Devils fans? The aim is to have the Generals sort of do the same thing

i'd kill to have that room at home but other than that? im working on a computer all day long and on my iphone... im already following TG and anything hockey related... then im on this site all day long, plus facebook... i just dont see what i am missing and what it could bring me?

Good angle DIG, that's certainly an interesting take. I watched the video tour of "Mission Control" and it looks like this couldn't have been a cheap endeavor, so I hope it works out and maybe brings the team and the fans closer together. We shall see.

It definitely wasn't cheap and the team, right through ownership, are very excited about this and really want to see it succeed.. I'm not saying you have to buy in right away, but give it a chance..

A big discussion on twitter is about bringing back Hells Bells and Yani for the pre game intro video.. The team is listening and if a movement starts, it will probably come back next season