Mission Control

Colin226

Thanks for the support guys.. Especially that post Andrew, means a lot.. I just want to help the organization and grow the fan base.. For years we've been on here talking about ways the team could improve off the ice, and now the team is saying they're committed to making sure we're heard.. All I'm saying is give this a shot..

Jersey's Team isn't just a marketing slogan.. It's being embraced by the organization, and they want the fans to embrace it as well and feel like they are a part of it and have a voice..

So, like I said, if you have any input I'm happy to listen.. Any Devils Army General is happy to listen.. We're volunteering our time because we care

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, my turn!

I am a frequent poster on NJDevs, HFBoards, Twitter, Facebook and so on.

To the simple notion that our fans suck? Well, a majority of them do. The ones that start fights with other teams' fans, the ones that boo that Canadian national anthem when there are a bunch of Canadians on our team, the fans who don't show up to games and have no problem complaining about our attendance, the ones that chant Rangers Suck and You Suck when we are down four or five goals, the ones who start yelling at Dany Heatley and calling him a murderer, and most of all the fans who care more about the Rangers losing than the Devils winning.... There's plenty more I can come up with.

Yeah, there are plenty of fans that suck. That is something that myself and a lot of other people are currently trying to change. I didn't get involved int he Devils Generals thing because I simply don't have the time working a full time job and three writing jobs. The program is in GREAT hands with the people that are in charge of this program.

About CJ (Jaime),

I simply cannot believe that after all she does for our fanbase people have something negative about her. She is constantly the loudest fan in the arena, terrifically vocal about our team on the internet, and has now dedicated even more time and energy when she doesn't even live very close to Newark to get her butt down there and be involved in this program. To the people that are saying rude things to and about her... what have you done?

Right now, our fan base sucks. Our ticket prices suck. Our team and it's fan outreach sucks. The Devils Army Generals is something that the Devils are supporting that not many if any other teams would tolerate. NHL teams are corporations and the fact that they are now asking us for our input on how to make everything better is really unprecedented.

There are way too many people that complain and talk crap and then just sit back and don't do a damn thing about it.

I complain alot about things I don't like about this team. So what do I do? I contact an Army General or the Devils themselves. Actually, Jamie and I have to be at the arena in a half hour so I can speak with a rep about some things.

So if "our fans suck" is CJ's personal opinion... then so be it. And it's true! She has taken it upon herself to join the effort and bridge that gap between the fans and the team to try to make things better for everyone and to find out how we can get some new fans in the seats and in on the fun. I salute her and am glad to be able to call her a friend.

Also, to some specific posters that will know that this about them: Get a life. Masking your identity behind a stupid message board handle makes you look absolutely childish and stupid. You should go pick up a hobby if you don't want to act your age. Everyone here knows who I am, where I'm from, what I do for a living, exactly where I'll be before and after every game, and 5 or 6 ways to get in contact with me. So if you want to start acting like an adult, let us know and we'll have an adult conversation. Til then, try to grow up and actually be supportive of people like Jaime, Colin, Steve, and the others who are taking on a non-paying position just to help all of us out and to get our ideas heard by our favorite hockey team.

Good post.

You obviously didn't read my previous post where I agreed with many that this ISN'T intended for the "hardcore" fans.

Can we all agree that this is first and foremost a great outlet to get the "casual" fans into the building and in the Rock?

well, yeah, hardcore fans don't need prodding. but now we're heading into the dark and scary world of facebook. the concept itself is a good concept, it's more direct than their last attempt at this, which was a survey with some essay questions that they sent out before the Rock opened.

it's just whether the group is ready for it. too many jaded, cranky, bickering people, IMO. I know from talking to people in the past that the team doesn't really hold their fans in high regard, let's put it that way. :lol: I don't know if the response to this and the requests they're likely to get are going to change that. I think some people who are involved with this and think they're going to change the world are going to be disappointed when they get requests for pre-game videos and complaints about Marty being older than a mummy and "SIGN PARISE! xoxoxoxo"

btw, they should bring back the playoff video from last season and never use anything else, ever.

Thanks for the support guys.. Especially that post Andrew, means a lot.. I just want to help the organization and grow the fan base.. For years we've been on here talking about ways the team could improve off the ice, and now the team is saying they're committed to making sure we're heard.. All I'm saying is give this a shot..

Jersey's Team isn't just a marketing slogan.. It's being embraced by the organization, and they want the fans to embrace it as well and feel like they are a part of it and have a voice..

So, like I said, if you have any input I'm happy to listen.. Any Devils Army General is happy to listen.. We're volunteering our time because we care

Colin I do appreciate what you and your fellow generals are doing.

The Jersey's Team campaign is excellent. I love the new images put up on the upper concourse of NJ in red with all the counties and major cities and towns shown! Really taps in to that Jersey Patriotism that we all have especially with 3 NY teams playing in our State and one that can't wait to leave!

Me personally I would like to see the team market its accomplishments and success better. I mean we have the second most amount of Cups of any of the American expansion teams with only the Islanders ahead of us with four but you barely hear about it. Look at the Yanks; they are my team but they remind you and beat you over the head with their success constantly. Now between that and being overly modest has to be a happy medium and that's where the Devils should be.

The Devils have been among the NHLs elite for the better part of 20yrs; that's remarkable and should be promoted more. Of course we know it but to get your average sports fan to come to a game promote that so they take notice and become fans hopefully. I mean the Rags have won one Cup in 71years but they way brag about it, being NY, and playing at the Garden you would think they won all the time. We have been more successful in our short 28yrs then they have been in their entire 85yrs but your casual fan sports wouldn't know it.

Lol sorry thats my rant thx bro!

well, yeah, hardcore fans don't need prodding. but now we're heading into the dark and scary world of facebook. the concept itself is a good concept, it's more direct than their last attempt at this, which was a survey with some essay questions that they sent out before the Rock opened.

it's just whether the group is ready for it. too many jaded, cranky, bickering people, IMO. I know from talking to people in the past that the team doesn't really hold their fans in high regard, let's put it that way. :lol: I don't know if the response to this and the requests they're likely to get are going to change that. I think some people who are involved with this and think they're going to change the world are going to be disappointed when they get requests for pre-game videos and complaints about Marty being older than a mummy and "SIGN PARISE! xoxoxoxo"

btw, they should bring back the playoff video from last season and never use anything else, ever.

A lot of people have mentioned stuff about the "pre-game" video - let's just say that they've heard your requests and they realize it needs to be changed.

The program needs time to build and all we can do is take requests for different things and present them to the organization. Some things might happen, some things might not, but we're trying to help.

See I think this is a great idea. Now we actually get answers to questions too goofy to consider news, you know? Like if there are copyright issues -- a General gets to just say -- everyone loved the idea BUT Van Halen are jerk-offs (or what-have-you :evil:

What sucks is when you're like me and have right or left of mainstream wishes.

Like I wish there was more organ music :P

Anyone volunteering time to boost the image of the team is good in my book. I love that the Devils have embraced NJ and Newark, two places I proudly call my home and defend vigorously. I think every organization struggles to connect with it's fans and unless you try different things and are willing to take harsh feedback you will always fail.

Okay, my turn!

I am a frequent poster on NJDevs, HFBoards, Twitter, Facebook and so on.

To the simple notion that our fans suck? Well, a majority of them do. The ones that start fights with other teams' fans, the ones that boo that Canadian national anthem when there are a bunch of Canadians on our team, the fans who don't show up to games and have no problem complaining about our attendance, the ones that chant Rangers Suck and You Suck when we are down four or five goals, the ones who start yelling at Dany Heatley and calling him a murderer, and most of all the fans who care more about the Rangers losing than the Devils winning.... There's plenty more I can come up with.

Yeah, there are plenty of fans that suck. That is something that myself and a lot of other people are currently trying to change. I didn't get involved int he Devils Generals thing because I simply don't have the time working a full time job and three writing jobs. The program is in GREAT hands with the people that are in charge of this program.

About CJ (Jaime),

I simply cannot believe that after all she does for our fanbase people have something negative about her. She is constantly the loudest fan in the arena, terrifically vocal about our team on the internet, and has now dedicated even more time and energy when she doesn't even live very close to Newark to get her butt down there and be involved in this program. To the people that are saying rude things to and about her... what have you done?

Right now, our fan base sucks. Our ticket prices suck. Our team and it's fan outreach sucks. The Devils Army Generals is something that the Devils are supporting that not many if any other teams would tolerate. NHL teams are corporations and the fact that they are now asking us for our input on how to make everything better is really unprecedented.

There are way too many people that complain and talk crap and then just sit back and don't do a damn thing about it.

I complain alot about things I don't like about this team. So what do I do? I contact an Army General or the Devils themselves. Actually, Jamie and I have to be at the arena in a half hour so I can speak with a rep about some things.

So if "our fans suck" is CJ's personal opinion... then so be it. And it's true! She has taken it upon herself to join the effort and bridge that gap between the fans and the team to try to make things better for everyone and to find out how we can get some new fans in the seats and in on the fun. I salute her and am glad to be able to call her a friend.

Also, to some specific posters that will know that this about them: Get a life. Masking your identity behind a stupid message board handle makes you look absolutely childish and stupid. You should go pick up a hobby if you don't want to act your age. Everyone here knows who I am, where I'm from, what I do for a living, exactly where I'll be before and after every game, and 5 or 6 ways to get in contact with me. So if you want to start acting like an adult, let us know and we'll have an adult conversation. Til then, try to grow up and actually be supportive of people like Jaime, Colin, Steve, and the others who are taking on a non-paying position just to help all of us out and to get our ideas heard by our favorite hockey team.

+1M

Very well said Andrew. Couldn't say it any better. You are spot on. Great post.

• 2 weeks later...

Devils Army Generals Update

A few of us our working on some ideas about inspirational stories (looking at the players as role models), what the team means to you and what it means to the people of this state.

We want to show the team what they mean to us. If you have a story you would like to share with us please send an email to fansyearbook@gmail.com and we will contact you with further details.

thought i should let you know that i go to college up in boston and NESN did a story about Mission Control, that's how legit this is

Wow that's awesome.. Yeah it's received a lot of press.. Very exciting that the Devils are leading the sports industry in social media

Here's a suggestion for you to run up the flag pole Colin- how is it there is absolutely no acknowlegement- either inside or outside the Rock- of Dr. McMullen? Nothing. I personally think Championship Plaza should be re-named McMullen Plaza, but if not, there should be a statue, a memorial- something. We wouldn't have an NHL team in Jersey without Dr Mac's vision- please pass this along if you can. Thanks.

Yeah he brought hockey to Nj but this is the same owner who never invested in a marketing department, nickel and dimed everything and could care less about fan experience. He lucked out when he hired Lou and he and not Dr MAC as the reason for the devils success on the ice. Plus he was one step away from moving the team to Nashville. If anything the plaza should be named after Lou.

Yeah he brought hockey to Nj but this is the same owner who never invested in a marketing department, nickel and dimed everything and could care less about fan experience. He lucked out when he hired Lou and he and not Dr MAC as the reason for the devils success on the ice. Plus he was one step away from moving the team to Nashville. If anything the plaza should be named after Lou.

The bottom line is this: he didn't move the team to Nashville, and there wouldn't be professional hockey in our state without him. He should be honored in some way.

Here's a suggestion for you to run up the flag pole Colin- how is it there is absolutely no acknowlegement- either inside or outside the Rock- of Dr. McMullen? Nothing. I personally think Championship Plaza should be re-named McMullen Plaza, but if not, there should be a statue, a memorial- something. We wouldn't have an NHL team in Jersey without Dr Mac's vision- please pass this along if you can. Thanks.

That's a great point! With all of the murals on the walls, it seems like it would make sense to somehow acknowledge JM some place. My one friend from high school actually knew JM as his parents were great friends of his.

The bottom line is this: he didn't move the team to Nashville, and there wouldn't be professional hockey in our state without him. He should be honored in some way.

I'm not worried about Lou getting his honoring of some sort. He obviously will. But I do grow more and more worried about JM getting his. Simply putting a JM patch on the jerseys in 06 isn't enough imo.

Is there a statue idea out there then that can represent penny pinching? I know I think some of the ideas the current owners have for marketing the team are bush league, but at least I can see they are trying and getting a little better every year. Hell the fact the current owners care about fan experience shows how much john macmullen was a miser.

Is there a statue idea out there then that can represent penny pinching? I know I think some of the ideas the current owners have for marketing the team are bush league, but at least I can see they are trying and getting a little better every year. Hell the fact the current owners care about fan experience shows how much john macmullen was a miser.

To be honest with you, I don't really care. There were much worse owners in the world than John McMullen, and the New Jersey Devils were his creation. For that alone, he deserves acknowledgement of some kind at the Rock.

Edited by MadDog2020

Could always give him his own brick in Championship plaza, sort of like a plaque you'd see on the wall of a Hall of Fame. Or when (if) the Devils actually start their own Hall of Fame I'm sure he'll be memorialized there.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I started reading the thread then got bored when it went off on the HoF tangent or what not so I'll just put my two cents in about the original thread....

The idea's origin is solely based on what exactly is wrong with the Devils in terms of marketing or connecting with fans...lack of creativity. The entire "Devils Army", which I loathe, is a complete ripoff of the Kovalchuk Army idea and so the trickle down to "generals" and what not is just bad pun after bad pun....the Mission Control idea fits more with a space theme anyway so it just seems like a whole lack of effort on the entire thing. As for what it does or what its supposed to do, I'll agree with a few of the early replies...it has to be implemented well and seeing as how everything I posted above is, I don't really have high hopes of "mission control" being what some have said, a room where a bunch of people who didn't have to pay for tickets sit watching the game from monitors and tweeting the same thing from iPads...meh.

If you don't start with a good idea to begin with and really connect with the fans then its going to be doomed from the get go. And if a slew of fans see this as nothing but a bunch of people getting to go to free games to tweet the exact same info that we can all get from TV, smart phone, internet, or whatever then you've already segregated from the people you are trying to connect with.

I'm not saying I'm the one to come up with the creative ideas but even having the "generals" (yuck) going out during the game and getting behind the scenes access to the fans and tweeting that or even getting up in the stands WITH the fans and getting them involved in some creative way could and probably would not only excite the current fan base but help build an even stronger one...