Military Park Building

militaryparkbuild.JPG

NJTransit and Horizon Blue Cross-Blue Shield Buildings

NJT-BlueCross-day.JPG

Newark City Hall

CityHall1.jpg

Legal Center

LegalCtr1.jpg

Raymond Commerce Building, National Newark Building and Prudential Building with Gutzon Borglum's Wars of America Statue in the foreground

WarStatsetting.jpg

Gateway Complex

GatewayCtr.jpg

Gutzon Borglum's Abraham Lincoln and Essex County Courthouse

LincSettingwide.jpg

Riverfront Stadium

comp2.jpg

Edited by NewarkDevil5

Dispatcher for NJTransit Police? Guess what, every dispatcher, no matter where they work, hears a lot of stuff. It goes with the job. Have I gotten offered pot walking through Penn Station Newark? Sure. As many times as I did while walking through Washington Square Park in NYC to go to class at NYU summer of Junior year in high school? Not even close and I've been to Penn Station Newark far more times than I've been through that park. Hell, most days I'd finish class, hop the PATH to Newark and do my homework at PSE&G Plaza or Branch Brook Park. PSE&G has a very relaxing fountain and Branch Brook has this one particular spot on the lake that I really like to sit down and relax at. Have I been asked by beggars for money? Sure. I also got asked that in Downtown New Brunswick, twice in one walk from the train station to George Street. Have I ever even come close to being mugged? Never.

Heh, offhand I didn't know where Harvey Street was, but I mapquested it and found out that my first guess was wrong. Its the other side of the railroad tracks from downtown, near Robert Wood Johnson Hospital. Thats an area I haven't explored too much simply because its not a part of the city that I've heard about having much to really explore. I have been around there and know there are some bars and pubs there, which is prolly why your friends were there, but other than that, not a part of town I'm too familiar with.

Note: I know New Brunswick decently well only because I lived in the next town (Franklin Township--Somerset) over for high school and New Brunswick was the closest downtown and train station. I try to make it my business to know places I live and visit often pretty well.

Every time I go to the Port Authority in New York I am offered countless numbers of drugs. Does that mean millions of people don't use the Port Authority? No.

My dad knew a guy who got stabbed on a New York City subway. There's over a million riders every day.

My life was threatened in downtown DC. Did I stop going to work?

Just because you know someone who has some experience, or even many experiences, doesn't mean that people won't do it. The fact is, these cases are rare. In the part of Newark where the arena would be, these cases are EXTREMELY rare (in fact, I haven't heard of any). Besides... a dispatcher? Of course she has had bad experiences. That's like saying a fireman was in danger so he shouldn't go near burning houses.

Every time I go to the Port Authority in New York I am offered countless numbers of drugs. Does that mean millions of people don't use the Port Authority? No.

My dad knew a guy who got stabbed on a New York City subway. There's over a million riders every day.

My life was threatened in downtown DC. Did I stop going to work?

Just because you know someone who has some experience, or even many experiences, doesn't mean that people won't do it. The fact is, these cases are rare. In the part of Newark where the arena would be, these cases are EXTREMELY rare (in fact, I haven't heard of any). Besides... a dispatcher? Of course she has had bad experiences. That's like saying a fireman was in danger so he shouldn't go near burning houses.

No its really not like saying that.

I told you guys that I heard things that you hadn't...

And thats why I really don't want to go to Newark.

Why take the risk when a perfectly safe arena is 20 minutes away?

Believe me stubbs, we've all heard plenty about Newark. You're really doubting our intelligence here. Do you think that most of us have that much less experience than you?

Talk about a superiority complex.

This is like someone who had a relative die in a car accident, so they won't drive a car. Now I can kind of understand where the strong personal bias in your statements is coming from. However, it strongly taints every argument you make.

Saying that any violence in Newark is rare doesn't really say much. Of course it's rare, but it's still a possibility no matter how safe the area seems.

Example: 21st Street & 7th Avenue. Pretty safe area of Manhattan - a few homeless but they keep to themselves. A block away from a police station. No problems, right? About a year ago two people get shot, one of them a cop.

I've worked here 10 years. Seemed safe. Never mugged. Can it still happen, definitely.

It can happen anywhere. I have to be here because I need to work and get money for Devils' games (and food and stuff). Do I like it? Not really. Even though it's a historically safe area, anything can happen.

So where is there a better probability of violence? Newark or the Meadowlands? Where would you rather bring your kids? Newark or the Meadowlands?

-Dan

Saying that any violence in Newark is rare doesn't really say much. Of course it's rare, but it's still a possibility no matter how safe the area seems.

Example: 21st Street & 7th Avenue. Pretty safe area of Manhattan - a few homeless but they keep to themselves. A block away from a police station. No problems, right? About a year ago two people get shot, one of them a cop.

I've worked here 10 years. Seemed safe. Never mugged. Can it still happen, definitely.

It can happen anywhere. I have to be here because I need to work and get money for Devils' games (and food and stuff). Do I like it? Not really. Even though it's a historically safe area, anything can happen.

So where is there a better probability of violence? Newark or the Meadowlands? Where would you rather bring your kids? Newark or the Meadowlands?

-Dan

Better probability of violence - Newark

Rather bring kids - Meadowlands

The was a rash of robberies in Bergen County. A ring of brazen thieves broke into homes in the middle of the night while people slept. A man was pistol whipped in his Oradell home.

It happens everywhere. Do I fear going to an arena in Newark where my long walk will either be to my car or the train station? No. Anything can happen, anywhere, anytime.