Devils rap Song.

Prucenterrules

Gang message? Because he's black? Or because it's a rap video...confused.

Listen to the lyrics, and watch the video, and then look into the musician himself. It's an obvious conclusion. I had him on facebook but deleted him after a discussion had taken place on his wall about how this one guy hated "crackers that snitched" or something LOL

Listen to the lyrics, and watch the video, and then look into the musician himself. It's an obvious conclusion. I had him on facebook but deleted him after a discussion had taken place on his wall about how this one guy hated "crackers that snitched" or something LOL

Woah, lets not make any mistakes here

For clarity's sake - this guy isn't a musician. "Artist" is stretching it as art is subjective but he's not a musician.

Musician company is: Bach, Miles Davis, Beatles, Hendrix - people who create music - not just poetry.

Woah, lets not make any mistakes here

For clarity's sake - this guy isn't a musician. "Artist" is stretching it as art is subjective but he's not a musician.

Musician company is: Bach, Miles Davis, Beatles, Hendrix - people who create music - not just poetry.

Just for clarity guys, a musician can only be a musician if DevilinLA says so

Maybe I'm opening myself up to a gang related attack, but I need this guy on my podcast. Five or so minutes of him doing that mess on air screams radio gold!

And rap is most certainly music. Maybe not this fella's tune, but quality hip hop is absolutely music.

Never said it wasn't.

Just that rappers are NOT musicians, ARTISTs sure ... not musicians.

Being a musician means mastering an instrument (As voice is) through many years, if not decades, of dedicated study - with pitches, rhythm, and all the skills that go with it.

It takes years of study - not just writing rhymes with expletives degrading women and encouraging violence (as the majority of hip-hop - NO not ALL - does).

P.S. ... and yes I am aware of Common, KRS-1, and the linage of legitimate "content-rap"

Edited by DevilinLA

Never said it wasn't.

Being a musician means mastering an instrument (As voice is) through many years, if not decades, of dedicated study - with pitches, rhythm, and all the skills that go with it.

It takes years of study - not just writing rhymes with expletives degrading women and encouraging violence (as the majority of hip-hop - NO not ALL - does).

P.S. ... and yes I am aware of Common, KRS-1, and the linage of legitimate "content-rap"

A voice is an instrument. If you listen to plenty of bands (especially in the progressive genre) the voice is used to create texture and tone, it provides the same function as a guitar, bass, etc.

The only people who think rap music is about degrading women and encouraging violence are the people believing the public persona that the media has given rap music. I don't really listen to rap music, but I have investigated enough to know that this is true.

Never said it wasn't.

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but I would argue that good rappers, like the ones you mentioned in your PS, absolutely spend decades evolving their inflection, timing and most certainly rhythm. If rappers aren't musicians, would you consider drummers musicians? A standard rock drummer doesn't need to know a single scale or note of sheet music yet is rhytmically essential to the music being created.

My definition of a musician would be somebody who is an active participant in the creation of music, whether they add rhythm, melody, voice or a soft cowbell in the back of the mix. Just my opinion as a musician. :D

A voice is an instrument. If you listen to plenty of bands (especially in the progressive genre) the voice is used to create texture and tone, it provides the same function as a guitar, bass, etc.

The only people who think rap music is about degrading women and encouraging violence are the people believing the public persona that the media has given rap music. I don't really listen to rap music, but I have investigated enough to know that this is true.

Before jump on my nuts please read the post.

I clearly say an instrument (as voice is). It is the original instrument.

Regarding rap = it is a form of art, but rappers are not musicians. Art reflects society - which rap in some way does.

Of course people will say that any form of "self-expression" is music. Well, I would argue that I could categorize me sitting on the toilet "expressing" the Mexican Fiesta platter I ate for dinner as such "self-expression". I think music is better than this.

If you study the origin of Rap through its roots in the west african Griot tribes, its mixture with Jamaican Dub music, and its birth in the block parties of 1970's Bronx up through today you find trends that are similar are repetitive in Music History most similar to the extravagance of the Baroque Era. The portrayal of extravagance reflected through music is old news. There is a public persona for a reason. IT sells records. Much of rap sells a lifestyle that people wish they could have (barring the aforementioned artists such as KRS-1, Common, and some of the more message-purists) utilizing money, power, and sexuality. It is well-documented in text and music.

Putting a rap artist in the same category as masters such as Bach, Mozart, Wagner, Coltrane, Parker, Davis, and even the newer Lennon, Dylan, Clapton, Hendrix, et al is insulting to thos musicians who spent years and decades studying their craft.

As I say to many of my students - put a rap artist on a desert island - and without his producer, engineer, computer, Logic, ProTools, and such you won't get much music.

Put Bach or Ellington on a desert island with just a pen and paper and you will no doubt still get genius - even without their native instruments.

I look forward to the day when musicality can be the driving force and not just technology, and maybe by then we can get back to making music instead of selling image.

In advance - I Apologize for the hijack - and rant.

Edited by DevilinLA

Actually, as a person who creates Rap/Hip-Hop, Techno, DnB, Dubstep and other types of music on a computer, I 110% consider myself a musician. Sure I may not have to "master an instrument" (even though I have), but have you actually opened an audio editing program like Ableton Live, Pro-Tools, Fruity Loops, or Acid Pro (there are thousands more), and actually know what the heck you are doing? They might not have to master an instrument, but they have to master the software that they are using.

Have you tried to come up with a dumb beat for a bass line you have in your head? Coming up with it is one thing. Implementing it is another. So what if this is created on a computer and not on "real instruments".

This guy is just as much a musician as Hendrix or Bach. Sure he may not do it as well. But to say what he does is not an art or product of a musician is ludicrous.

Below is my tiny set up. Please note, I also play guitar and bass guitar, drums, tin whistle, and violin. And anyone who says scratching isn't hard, doesn't know what they are talking about or they aren't doing it right. The thing in the middle is a launch pad. controls loops, beat sequences, and can be used as a drum kit or piano.

Picture11.jpg

I just feel the need to defend this guy. At least hes rockin red!

Oh and I'm sure if Bach or Hendrix were alive today, they would be using audio editing software ;)

Edited by Scottie2Hottie