Nordiques Fans

njdevil26

Remember the thousands of Nordiques fans that invaded Long Island? Well a poster on HF claims they are coming to NJ on the last game of the year. Their goal is to by 1500 tickets and fill the arena with their fans to show the league that it is not fair that teams with bad attendance are allowed to exist while Quebec doesn't have a team. This is actually pretty embarrassing for us.

We usually come close to sellouts for the last game of the season and I'm pretty sure 1500 people aren't going to make a difference at this game.

If they thought this was a good idea, they should pick a weekday game against a non-drawing opponent. Not the last game of the season against the Bruins and an afternoon game at that.

Goddamn Nordique fans.When they went to invade the Islanders arena it was understandable as the Islanders were playing a team that hasn't been going anywhere for years now in addition to themselves being in the same situation.Why invade our arena when we are a team that jumped two rows in the attendance sheet (at least at the beginning of this season) despite having the worst season in years.

Well you know they invaded the Bell centre so :noclue:

BTW last game of the year is against who ???

Edited by SS-SS

From the sounds of it, they're coming to cheer for the Devils. The guy has stated that they know this is a down year for the Devils and doesn't expect the Devils to move.

I see it as a non-issue. And if they want to come and cheer for us and spend their money on a team they really have no interest in, let them. We can use all the money we can get.

Maybe it's just a see-who-hates-Boston-more competition with the habs lol.

Theres so much more that factors into having an NHL team in a city than just attendance. Economics plays a huge role in it, also. That's why they lost the Nordiques in the first place.

They went to root for the Islanders. I think it would be cool if they came down and decided to help raise the roof - I have no problem with it. Hockey rules, it's the best team sport there is and they want a team. I got no problem with it and can certainly sympathize with their plight and I'm VERY impressed by their determination. We all know Bettman sees team moves in "his" era as a personal failure, so the deck is really stacked against them. Honestly I have no problem with welcoming real hard core hockey fans to the very best arena in the NHL. I'd rather have 1000 members of Nordiques Nation than 50 Rangers fans ;)

Edited by jim777

The debate was never whether Canadian fans can fill a building. Its all about economics. Anyway, the Nordiques fans picked a bad example if theyre serious about coming to NJ. We are not a team even close to being relocated, and 1500 wont make a diff. This is the ROCK, not the nauseleum.

Remember the thousands of Nordiques fans that invaded Long Island? Well a poster on HF claims they are coming to NJ on the last game of the year. Their goal is to by 1500 tickets and fill the arena with their fans to show the league that it is not fair that teams with bad attendance are allowed to exist while Quebec doesn't have a team. This is actually pretty embarrassing for us.

More embarrassing than having <10K tickets sold for several games this year?

From the sounds of it, they're coming to cheer for the Devils. The guy has stated that they know this is a down year for the Devils and doesn't expect the Devils to move.

I see it as a non-issue. And if they want to come and cheer for us and spend their money on a team they really have no interest in, let them. We can use all the money we can get.

If they really want to help us out then spend the money for 1500 tickets tonight, so they don't go into Rangers fans' hands :P

It's only embarassing if:

A) They actually do it, and even if they get 1500 tickets it's not like they're all going to be centralized in a single location or level. They won't be able to monopolize the balcony the way they could on a normal night.

B) Someone even notices or cares, especially if it's a meaningless game for us and the Bruins.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I don't think they're coming to 'show up' the Devils at all. I also think the whole "show the league that it is not fair that teams with bad attendance are allowed to exist while Quebec doesn't have a team" angle is completely off base. Evidently they got in touch with the Devils and asked if they could buy 1000-1100 tickets and the Devils smiled back. So, they've already got their tickets lined up if not completely paid for and delivered. They'll get a great game, get to root for a great team with great fans in a great arena, and maybe get some airtime on TV and some press in NYC to show that they are passionate fans. I don't think for a second a single one of them thinks the Devils are going anywhere - they just want to get some press for their movement before the season is over. They said at the Islanders game "We don't want the Islanders, we don't want the Thrashers, we want a team of our own". I guess that leaves the Coyotes, I don't know LOL. But... I had been thinking that Winnipeg was the likely next Canadian NHL city, as I suppose a lot of other folks were, so again I think this is just a way to help their cause. You don't see Jets fans showing up anwhere - I don't know if they could fill a bar never mind buy 1100+ tickets and hire 40 buses. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Nordiques Nation hit a lot other stadiums and teams before they get a team.

So when they come, they'll be wearing their colors but rooting hard for our team. They will be loud, they will be chanting, the whole 9 yards. If I were one of them I'd be really looking forward to the trip I think. Probably root loudest for the boys from Quebec like Marty as well. Personally, I'll be shaking as many hands as possible and wishing them the best of luck in getting a franchise. But until they get a team of their own, if they want to come down and party with us I think we should welcome them and have a great time beating the crap of the Bruins. We got a team in a place where there were already teams too, and lots of folks thought we'd never get a fan base. I can sympathize. And if it embarrasses the NHL, even better :) Maybe Campbell's son will actually get called for a penalty LOL

This is not going to go well. Most if not all of them will be in the balcony + the usual balcony comp crowd. :lol:

This worked at the Isles game because the Isles fan base is completely burnt out and lunkheads aren't going to be showing up to their games at that point, especially some sh!tfest game against Atlanta.