Dear Jacques

ev0lemi

Dear Jacques,

I've really enjoyed your time with the Devils and I'd hate to see it end with this season. The job offers lots of travel, a dynamic work environment, exciting opportunities for growth, management of a large and talented pool of personel and summers off!

Although i have no authority whatsoever to actually offer you an extension, I'd REALLY REALLY like you to stay. You're the peanut butter to our jelly. The chocolate to our mint. I'll be your best friend, walk your dog and mow your lawn!

Pretty please?

I want this Jacques to stay, the one that doesn't line-juggle every five minutes and avoids rookies like the plague. Those were my big pet peeves with him last year (he's had to play the kids this year cause of depth and where we were in the standings) but at this point it looked as if most of the other nonsense that happened down the stretch last year was far more on Langs rotting the core.

Not to mention Kovy looks up to him with a reverence you almost never see a superstar player have with any coach. And finally it's clicking in for him, he really is back to being one of the most dynamic players in the league - the new and improved version.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I want this Jacques to stay, the one that doesn't line-match every five minutes and avoids rookies like the plague. Those were my big pet peeves with him last year (he's had to play the kids this year cause of depth and where we were in the standings) but at this point it looked as if most of the other nonsense that happened down the stretch last year was far more on Langs rotting the core.

Really..we are going to blame Langs for the meltdown down the stretch last year? What about the one in 2009? And he definitely was the reason why we sucked this year too.

Lemaire was very much part of the problem last year. He got this team back to the basics and clearly has a strong relationship with Kovy, but I think people are underestimating confidence. Every single player believes they can win each game. Hedberg has his mojo back and has been a stud. Tallinder, Kovalchuk, Fayne, Rolston, Zubrus and Greene are playing with great confidence. It isn't rocket-science here. Lemaire hasn't done anything incredible for this team to win the last 7 games. Everyone is playing at a playoff level and is excited, and they are excited to get on the ice each night. In December, I could imagine the team dreading going on the ice.

Now obviously Lemaire did a heck of a job getting these guys going. He got them out of this mess by teaching them the basics. It helps when you have hit rock bottom too. But again...confidence in sports is the most important thing. So much of it is a mental thing.

Really..we are going to blame Langs for the meltdown down the stretch last year? What about the one in 2009? And he definitely was the reason why we sucked this year too.

When your captain's insubordinate and sulky it makes it easier for the rest of the team to follow, no? It doesn't help your case that we started this streak right after Langs left, and also had our one semi-hot streak in the first half without him in the lineup. The first half of this year was equal parts lack of leadership and the worst coach in NHL history. But that's a debate for another thread, and those threads'll be coming up again cause of where we play next :P

But yes they're more apt to listen to Lemaire as a group this year after things got nightmarish. Confidence is part of it but it isn't the whole story, as it turned out the Devils are actually the team we thought they were going into the season - and all this without Parise who nobody can argue would make this team even more formidable.

ha! great thread... yeah lemaire is the sh!t... just the way he has transformed Kovy into a dominant 2 way player who kills penalties is flabbergasting...

u can mow his lawn... i'll wash his car or repair his washing machine... lol

When your captain's insubordinate and sulky it makes it easier for the rest of the team to follow, no? It doesn't help your case that we started this streak right after Langs left, and also had our one semi-hot streak in the first half without him in the lineup. The first half of this year was equal parts lack of leadership and the worst coach in NHL history. But that's a debate for another thread, and those threads'll be coming up again cause of where we play next :P

But yes they're more apt to listen to Lemaire as a group this year after things got nightmarish. Confidence is part of it but it isn't the whole story, as it turned out the Devils are actually the team we thought they were going into the season - and all this without Parise who nobody can argue would make this team even more formidable.

It is one of those things where it is pointless to argue because we just have no clue. All the players said glowing things about Jamie when he left, and many players had problems with Jacques down the stretch and how he and Mario were doing certain things. You aren't winning the team over when the most liked guy and oldest Devil in Pando is forced to dress with the rookies and being told by text message he isn't playing after he was told in morning skate he was. That just rubs the entire team the wrong way. For all we know, this is part of the reason Jacques retired.

Either way, we know Jacques is a great coach and his specialty is getting teams to overachieve. He is worth sticking around for Kovy alone.

None of us know exactly what does or does not cause a team to play well nor the things that can happen along the way. I think we can all say that Jacques so far has been the perfect solution to a hopeless cause. A man taking over a team who's players really have no right to protest what he says and almost having to buy in to the fact they need to relearn how to play hockey. I don't know that any coach can get that many veterans to rethink their approach and re-dedicate themselves to defensive discipline if they hadn't failed so bad to start with.

None of us know exactly what does or does not cause a team to play well nor the things that can happen along the way. I think we can all say that Jacques so far has been the perfect solution to a hopeless cause. A man taking over a team who's players really have no right to protest what he says and almost having to buy in to the fact they need to relearn how to play hockey. I don't know that any coach can get that many veterans to rethink their approach and re-dedicate themselves to defensive discipline if they hadn't failed so bad to start with.

this is pretty spot on. lemaire has been great, but he almost had a blank canvas to work with. but he's also allowing players to do what they do best. the biggest change for the devils is the play of their defense when it comes to offense. they are constantly involved in the play in the offensive zone when they never ever used to be. this has been the most obvious change i've seen. tallinder, in a recent interview, alluded to how maclean told the defenseman to hang back and NOT join the play and that it was ridiculous. last year probably taught lemaire some lessons too. this is a different, but the same lemaire. it probably also helps that it's larry and oates there and not his stooge best friend trembley.

I want this Jacques to stay, the one that doesn't line-juggle every five minutes and avoids rookies like the plague. Those were my big pet peeves with him last year (he's had to play the kids this year cause of depth and where we were in the standings) but at this point it looked as if most of the other nonsense that happened down the stretch last year was far more on Langs rotting the core.

Not to mention Kovy looks up to him with a reverence you almost never see a superstar player have with any coach. And finally it's clicking in for him, he really is back to being one of the most dynamic players in the league - the new and improved version.

"First time in 16 years (actually 16 full seasons plus 17 games in 1983-84 season) that I don't change," the 65-year-old Lemaire said. Asked why, Lemaire said that the team is winning. Also, he said he doesn't have a lot of options.

As is his wont, Lemaire cautioned that the Devils' magic carpet ride won't continue and he'll eventually tweak his lines.

"I see changes coming up soon in the near future," he said with a smile. "It has to be. It's just life."

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire adjusts coaching methods after 17 seasons

Dear Jacques,

I've really enjoyed your time with the Devils and I'd hate to see it end with this season. The job offers lots of travel, a dynamic work environment, exciting opportunities for growth, management of a large and talented pool of personel and summers off!

Although i have no authority whatsoever to actually offer you an extension, I'd REALLY REALLY like you to stay. You're the peanut butter to our jelly. The chocolate to our mint. I'll be your best friend, walk your dog and mow your lawn!

Pretty please?

SAMMY!!!!!!! EXPLAIN!!!!!

Edited by ben00rs