Arnott

brickwall30

108 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Devils trade Jason Arnott

• Trade him!
    • Keep him, we need to keep this team together
    • Undesided, talk to me in 2 games

I am not surprised that most people here want to see him shipped. NJDevs is the quintessential "what have you done for me lately" crew....

That seems appropriate through. After all look at Langenbrunner, he had an amazing ride with the Devils but...what good has he done for us lately.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not surprised that most people here want to see him shipped. NJDevs is the quintessential "what have you done for me lately" crew....

What are you saying? Jason Arnott has done nothing this whole year. He is not coming back next year either. Do you not get how the deadline works? No one wants to kill the guy, but you have to figure out what is best for the future as a team and financially from an owner's standpoint. And right now they are still very far from the playoffs.

What have you done for me lately? Jason Arnott was gone for over 8 years. He controls his destiny, and he is the one who has wanted to go all season. And he hasn't been shy to admit it.

Edited by devilsrule33

Yeah but thats my point exactly, what happens if Zubrus gets injured.

the devils move tedenby there? clarkson? that's not really an issue to me.

what has he done lately? in fact, what has he done all season? his career's about over.

Listen bud

Maybe according to your "sabremetrics" charts/graphs/calculations he is "doing nothing out there". However, I find all of that crap that you love so much completely USELESS. Sorry, I just don't care about it. You can't measure heart, drive, motivation etc with numbers. He is an experienced vet with experience who can be a positive influence on the younger players. There is more to the game than just numbers and stats. There are intangibles which Arnie certainly possesses, otherwise teams would NOT be inquiring about getting him at the deadline. So yes, I would like him to come back next year and continue to "do nothing out there".

As opposed to an inexperienced vet with experience?

Seriously though, I'm with Tri on this one...Arnott has been invisible in most of these games as of late, and I'd be stunned if Lou was considering bringing him back. I don't think his presence is going to make or break the Devils, so might as well get something for him, though I can't see it being more than a 3rd or 4th round pick.

In another post, you have Arnott getting excited if the Devils make the playoffs, but that's as big an if as it gets. If I'm Lou I can't assume this team is getting there...like others have noted, this is about planning for the future...Arnott is not going to be a part of it...and Tri is also right on the money when he say his career's just about over. Not hating on the guy, just fact.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

What are you saying? Jason Arnott has done nothing this whole year. He is not coming back next year either. Do you not get how the deadline works? No one wants to kill the guy, but you have to figure out what is best for the future as a team and financially from an owner's standpoint. And right now they are still very far from the playoffs.

What have you done for me lately? Jason Arnott was gone for over 8 years. He controls his destiny, and he is the one who has wanted to go all season. And he hasn't been shy to admit it.

You are a disgrace. You don't deserve to don that picture as your avatar, you should change it ASAP. Was he not the leading goal scorer for a good amount of time earlier in the season when NOBODY was scoring?!? I am not claiming that he is a superstar by any means, but people just seem to remember the games played in the last 2 weeks and that's it. Is it so far fetched to think LL may want him back for next season at a much cheaper price?

As opposed to an inexperienced vet with experience?

Seriously though, I'm with Tri on this one...Arnott has been invisible in most of these games as of late, and I'd be stunned if Lou was considering bringing him back. I don't think his presence is going to make or break the Devils, so might as well get something for him, though I can't see it being more than a 3rd or 4th round pick.

In another post, you mave Arnott getting excited if the Devils make the playoffs, but that's as big an if as it gets. If I'm Lou I can't assume this team is getting there...like others have noted, this is about planning for the future...Arnott is not going to be a part of it...and Tri is also right on the money when he say his career's just about over. Not hating on the guy, just fact.

OK wiseass, I made a grammatical error as I was typing fast at work, shoot me! Again, his ice time has obviously been decreased as of late and he isn't exactly always skating with marquee players. I can see both sides of the argument, but I just don't see why everyone has the "get him outta here" attitude

OK wiseass, I made a grammatical error as I was typing fast at work, shoot me! Again, his ice time has obviously been decreased as of late and he isn't exactly always skating with marquee players. I can see both sides of the argument, but I just don't see why everyone has the "get him outta here" attitude

he's 36, his ice time's been cut, he can't kill penalties, he's had motivation issues his whole career, and his play has clearly declined of late. he has 10 shots in 11 games so far this month, that's just unacceptable.

he's 36, his ice time's been cut, he can't kill penalties, he's had motivation issues his whole career, and his play has clearly declined of late. he has 10 shots in 11 games so far this month, that's just unacceptable.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Nothing against Arnott, but he is what he is...a guy clearly nearing the end.

Why mess with a team that is on such a streak? I thought Lou has been waiting for a loss to move him and the team just hasn't cooporated. He's the third line center with a rookie and a 2nd year player(with Kovy double shifting depending on how well Kovy is backcheking that game). He's been decent on the draws and I don't think they have been giving up a ton of chances even with Teddy's shaky D at times. Can Josefson replaced him and that line keep the solid D that has been crucial (every line, I'm not implying it's arnott's line alone that is playing good D) during this streak? Possibly, but a lot to ask for a player that has seen what 7 nhl games?

Marty has been sitting becasue of how well the team is playing(and rightfully so, altough jaques will have a very quick hook). To me that is saying the team is cliking and don't tinker too much. Since langs has been gone the lines fit and have roles.

Why send a message (to the team and it's fans) that you don't think the playoffs are a possibility. Still a long shot but 9 points in 22 games sounds very doable after gaining 18 in 17 games. The team has to believe it has a shot, selling at this point might just deflate the entire comeback. Is a 2nd rounder worth whatever little magic they have made?

that said, 0-2 this weekend and get what you can. He asks to go and you have to let him go as well.

Why mess with a team that is on such a streak? I thought Lou has been waiting for a loss to move him and the team just hasn't cooporated. He's the third line center with a rookie and a 2nd year player(with Kovy double shifting depending on how well Kovy is backcheking that game). He's been decent on the draws and I don't think they have been giving up a ton of chances even with Teddy's shaky D at times. Can Josefson replaced him and that line keep the solid D that has been crucial (every line, I'm not implying it's arnott's line alone that is playing good D) during this streak? Possibly, but a lot to ask for a player that has seen what 7 nhl games?

Marty has been sitting becasue of how well the team is playing(and rightfully so, altough jaques will have a very quick hook). To me that is saying the team is cliking and don't tinker too much. Since langs has been gone the lines fit and have roles.

Why send a message (to the team and it's fans) that you don't think the playoffs are a possibility. Still a long shot but 9 points in 22 games sounds very doable after gaining 18 in 17 games. The team has to believe it has a shot, selling at this point might just deflate the entire comeback. Is a 2nd rounder worth whatever little magic they have made?

that said, 0-2 this weekend and get what you can. He asks to go and you have to let him go as well.

I agree with this post entirely, well done sir. :clap: Nice to know there is at least 1 sensible person on the board.

Edited by ThreeCups

First off, if the Devils get a second rounder for him, Lou did a hell of a job.

They are nine points out, but don't forget that they're not in 9th...they're 13th. A lot of teams ahead of them. They still need a lot of help.

I don't think trading Arnott sends a negative message at all...in the grand scheme of things he's just not that important to the Devils' fortunes. It's not like they're trading a guy like Elias, which to me would signal giving up.

Purposely waited to vote till the end of tonights game.

We need youth....

The whole "why mess with whats working" attitude is stupid when it comes to this. Arnott has not contributed much to the "working" sense of the team.

Edited by Quinn01

I find it hilarious with the whole "don't mess with what's working" crowd, considering many were ready to sell off the entire team back in December.

What's working is the Devils have a competent coach. The players are interchangeable for a large part except for a few guys. The only untouchables on this team are Kovy, Zajac, and Elias right now. Everyone else is expendable in the right deal, although some have more staying power than others.

As for the deadline, it's time to sell.

Devils should move Arnott without question. Hedberg and Greene should be put up to bid and if a high offer comes in, it should be taken. If some team is dumb enough to want David Clarkson, I will pay for the plane ticket.

None of the above four players mentioned are core guys going forward. The only guy who an argument can be made to keep is Greene, and that's only if he comes back well below market value, which ain't happening, and he's really only a transitional guy until Urbom, Gelinas, Burlon all are ready in the next 1-2 yrs.

As for the deadline, it's time to sell.

Devils should move Arnott without question. Hedberg and Greene should be put up to bid and if a high offer comes in, it should be taken. If some team is dumb enough to want David Clarkson, I will pay for the plane ticket.

This is where I stand as well. This run was great as hell and I do hope the Devils recover from this loss and play great hockey to finish the year. The fact is that besides them playing extremely well, they need an insane amount of help to get in the playoffs and I don't think they should bank on that. I'm more concerned about starting over with a clean slate next year and making a run then.

Arnott is as good as gone. Hedberg is just a stop gap back up who had a pretty good run so perhaps they could get a 6/7th rounder or a decent organizational player for him. Greene has value and I think thats an avenue Lou should explore. If any team wants Clarkson's contract you gotta make that move.

Edited by thefiestygoat

with frazee out and brodeur unreliable, hedberg absolutely must be kept

You are probably right.

I was curious to see your thoughts on the goaltending situation next year. I know you have advocated for a Ty Conklin, Type "1b" goalie to split with Brodeur. But I'm curious as to what you think Lou will do about the goalie situation going forward. I know I'm not a big Frazee fan, so it seems to me Lou may want to look around for a young goalie somewhere.