Devils Trade Arnott to Capitals

thefiestygoat

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Arnott and I was against trading him because I assumed the return would be a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick from a playoff team, meaning an unfavorable pick.

What did Arnott bring at $4.5 million that Steckel won't bring us for $1.1 million. They both have size and faceoff prowess, and Steckel can play the PK.

Edit: now that we have the 2nd round pick the situation has improved further.

Edited by StormJosh

Good good, the Devils didn't sacrifice greater future return just to get a player who can play now. That's satisfying then.

best of both worlds. you got a guy that can automatically step in and at his worst, fill arnott's void and you get a 2nd rounder next year. even if it's a low pick, it's still something. i really like this. there's no rolling the dice here -- lou made a solid deadline move for the first time in a few years. whew.

I like it and tsn confirms the 2nd round pick but its saying 2011

http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/story/?id=355869

The New Jersey Devils have cleared some salary as they have sent forward Jason Arnott to the Washington Capitals in exchange for forward David Steckel and a second-round draft pick in 2011.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Considering how much we've paid in the past for 3rd- and 4th-line centers (Holik and Arnott come to mind), $1.1M for the next two years for a big guy who can win draws sounds nice.

An additional 2nd-rounder next year, escpecially if that's the year we give up our 1st because of Kovygate, then that's nice too.

All in all, it's looking like a job well done for Lou.

soooooooooo, Steckel????? I would have rather gotten a couple picks and given Josefson the 3rd line center spot.

Steckel kills penalties and wins faceoffs, ie perfect for a 3rd line center. The Devils project Josefson as a second line center type of player. Different players for different roles.