Devils Trade Arnott to Capitals

thefiestygoat

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

soooooooooo, Steckel????? I would have rather gotten a couple picks and given Josefson the 3rd line center spot.

Assuming Josefson hasn't passed the threshold yet (I keep forgetting what it is ... Tri?), bringing Steckle in and sending Josefson down could save the Devils a couple million clams in the coming years.

Assuming Josefson hasn't passed the threshold yet (I keep forgetting what it is ... Tri?), bringing Steckle in and sending Josefson down could save the Devils a couple million clams in the coming years.

Josefson is still set to have his contract slide. Limit is 10 games, Josefson is at 8.

not crazy on this deal, but all in all, Welcome to NJ Steckel. Best of Luck to ya buddy.

how do you not like this? we ran away with this one considering we were going to lose arnott in the summer. couple that with the fact that he's been skating tumbleweeds lately, this deal is even better. we shed a good chunk of salary by putting a player who can essentially do the same thing -- at his worst -- as arnott did AND we go a 2nd rounder out of this. this is brilliant if you ask me.

good deal. A top faceoff guy signed for 2 more years at a reasonable cap hit plus a draft pick in exchange for a player we all love for his goal 11 years ago.

A couple other points - Lou is setting himself up to forfeit the 2012 first rounder from the cap circumvention ruling by getting this 2nd rounder.

Over the last 30 days, Arnott has tallied 1G, 1A and is +2. His production didn't help this current run.

A couple other points - Lou is setting himself up to forfeit the 2012 first rounder from the cap circumvention ruling by getting this 2nd rounder.

I doubt it. 2012 draft is supposed to be really strong. If that's the case then the Devils will likely push losing the choice back to 2013 or 2014.

Ledger_NJDevils Rich Chere Arnott: Deal did not go through until very close to end.There were other teams but Lamoriello thought this was best deal for Devils & Arnott

Ledger_NJDevils Rich Chere Arnott: "I'm at the end of my career. I want a chance at another Stanley Cup. I think Washington has a good potential to be a Cup team."

Ledger_NJDevils Rich Chere Arnott said he was texted by teammates and talked to Patrik Elias. "He (Elias) acknowledged they all understood the situation."

Ledger_NJDevils Rich Chere Does Arnott think Devs can still make it? "You can so realistically (no). But you never know in this game. That's what I had to gamble on."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/10/AR2011021004508.html

Capitals' David Steckel is NHL's best at winning faceoffs

By Dan Steinberg

Washington Post Staff Writer

This season has marked the highest point in Steckel's steady climb up the NHL's ranks. In his first full season, his 56.3 percent faceoff rate ranked seventh in the league. Two years ago he was fifth, and last season his career-best 59.2 percentage was second. Steckel is one of only two players above 60 percent this season, and at Verizon Center - where Steckel enjoys the advantage in stick placement afforded home players - he's winning 69 percent of his draws.

What makes Steckel so dominant, teammates and coaches said, is a combination of strength, technique and study. Unlike many centers, Steckel's motion is nearly identical on either side of the ice, a powerful downward movement that sends the puck straight back between his legs rather than to the side, eliminating concerns about putting the puck toward his own net. While, at 6 feet 5, he is often taller than his opponents, Steckel can get low to the ice without sacrificing balance or power, which is generated from the legs, back and abdomen.

I was checking to see if his faceoffs were an aberration this season, but he's been good, and getting better, since entering the league.

Also a video in the link.

I just think I would have liked to see Josefson get a legitimate spot in the lineup. But hopefully Steckel can change my opinion. And i'm also learning that he's one the best faceoff men in the league, which makes me like this a little more because right now we can't win faceoffs at all outside of Zajac.

Josefson has been incredibly overpowered and overmatched at the NHL level thus far...if we have any chance at the playoffs, it's not going to happen with him logging third line center minutes.

This is a fantastic return considering the circumstances.

lol all I heard on the radio going home was Arnott for Steckel and was a bit bemused. Then I saw here there was also a pick involved and was astounded, and a little teed off that local radio stinks with their lack of updates all day and apparently getting this one wrong too. Sounds like from reading the posts of this thread the 2nd rounder wasn't known right away by anyone though so it is funny seeing the posts turn around here.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Any chance Steckle center's Kovy's line?

What does this mean for Mair or Josefson?

Overall, Lou did an awesome job. Especially, if Wash happens to play the Flyers in the playoffs.

only when Kovy is double shifting. My take is he basically fills in for Arnott in the lineup, no need to change 2 or 3 lines. My guess is Clarkson joins the first pp unit (although I don't like him there, he has seen time on it this year. i'd prefer Kovy, rolston, elias, zubs and zajak as the first unit).

Mair and Josefson are in the same spot now as they were before 3.

HAHAHAHAHA. TSN guys are now explaining how Arnott started out poorly, like the rest of the team, but is part of why the Devils are so hot now and Arnott really turned it around under Lemaire, like the team did.

Oops, it's actually the exact opposite. Nice experts.

Haha yea I had to rewind to make sure I heard that right.