March 18th is Retro Night.

Neb00rs

Retro Night.  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Will We Still Be In The Playoff Race? (8 games until then - we probably need to go 7-1)

so no 36 year old player with 1150+ games has never retired? what a scumbag for wanting to guarentee a playoff spot.

Listen, your argument is pointless. Arnott has not hinted at retirement at all. He's good enough to play on a team for 2 million next season and will. Argue something worth talking about.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the original poll question goes, why do we need to go 7-1? Carolina and Buffalo are each on pace for 88 points. If the Devils need 30 points to force a tie (31 if they don't win the regulation/OT wins tiebreaker), they have to earn 30 of 40 points. That breaks down to 15-5. I understand that the question is accounting for the fact that 6 of the next 8 are against current nonplayoff teams but that by no means 7-1 is necessary. (I voted yes by the way).

Listen, your argument is pointless. Arnott has not hinted at retirement at all. He's good enough to play on a team for 2 million next season and will. Argue something worth talking about.

Then stop saying you can 100% guarantee something you can't. Feeling like a jilted lover because a player on the downside of his career wanted a guaranteed playoff spot instead of staying on a team that has to go .750 (along with with help from 3 or 4 other teams) to possibly make the playoffs is worth arguing over in the first place?

Then stop saying you can 100% guarantee something you can't. Feeling like a jilted lover because a player on the downside of his career wanted a guaranteed playoff spot instead of staying on a team that has to go .750 (along with with help from 3 or 4 other teams) to possibly make the playoffs is worth arguing over in the first place?

Ummmm, I think a lot of people are with me in arguing that Arnott ditched us. You alone are arguing that there is a chance this could be Arnie's last season. And don't over exaggerate what I'm saying here, I'm not happy with Arnott - I don't hate him - he just pissed me and many other Devils fans off.

Neither did Billy Guerin.

Check and mate.

Arnott cannot be certain he'll be playing next year. Why wouldn't he want one more guaranteed shot at the cup? I don't get why anyone feels he bailed on us, he was playing 3rd line minutes during this streak and was pretty invisible.

The fact that we got something for a pending ufa that won't be returning is pretty satisfying to me.

He hasn't guaranteed that he'd retire, but he's certainly hinted at it.

2/27/11 - “It’s the last year of my contract and I’m getting older,” Arnott said. “I want to try to win another Stanley Cup.”

3/1/11 - “I’m at the end of my career. I want a chance at another Stanley Cup.”

No hint at retirement there - not at all. Just excuses to ask for a trade and generalizations about being older.

Neither did Billy Guerin.

Guerin is 40.

Get off the booing Arnott crap, my God. Anyone who boos Jason freaking Arnott either wasn't alive in 2000, was too young in 2000, or is just fvcking dense. Honestly, get over yourself if you're that upset with him. He did and said absolutely nothing wrong.

Yeah, what a dick. He's a lazy fvck that has never done anything for this franchise and should be booed mercilessl...

I DIDN'T SAY ANY OF THAT AND NO ONE DID. I don't think that at all, it's all in your mind.

:rofl:

Ok, laugh but what i said is true - the quotes you gave show NO hint at retirement after this year. It's what he has to say to justify why he's leaving.

Edited by ben00rs

Do you understand what that statement means? Or should I explain it to you? Another smiley should further your debate.

I'd love to know how "I'm at the end of my career" couldn't possibly be a hint that Arnott is at the end of his career.

I'd love to know how "I'm at the end of my career" couldn't possibly be a hint that Arnott is at the end of his career.

It means he is in the last years of his career not the last year. If he said, "I don't know if I'll be back next year" even one time than that would be different.

It means he is in the last years of his career not the last year. If he said, "I don't know if I'll be back next year" even one time than that would be different.

You're reading it like he said "I'm near the end of my career" instead of "I'm at the end of my career." Generally, people don't say they're at the end of something if they don't presently see themselves being at the conclusion of said thing. Generally.

Does it mean he'll definitely retire? No. Can it be interpreted other ways? Certainly. But to say there's no way at all that it could possibly be a hint at retirement is ridiculous. It doesn't take a whole hell of a lot to qualify as a hint, and this is a hint. It isn't even a very subtle one.

You're reading it like he said "I'm near the end of my career" instead of "I'm at the end of my career." Generally, people don't say they're at the end of something if they don't presently see themselves being at the conclusion of said thing. Generally.

Does it mean he'll definitely retire? No. Can it be interpreted other ways? Certainly. But to say there's no way at all that it could possibly be a hint at retirement is ridiculous. It doesn't take a whole hell of a lot to qualify as a hint, and this is a hint. It isn't even a very subtle one.

Ok, this has gotten ridiculous - Jason Arnott is not retiring after this year, I know that, you know that, Jason Arnott knows that, the NHL knows that. Enough of this, you have started an argument over something completely ridiculous.

This thread is about being in the race by retro night and showing Jason he should have stayed with us. I never said I hate the man, just that I'll boo him because I'm pissed about is attitude showing up here again and the way he handled the situation. I'm not hung up on this and if he has success with the Caps I couldn't care less. I would like to show him up though. Everything else has been in your mind.

Edited by ben00rs

Ok, this has gotten ridiculous - Jason Arnott is not retiring after this year, I know that, you know that, Jason Arnott knows that, the NHL knows that. Enough of this, you have started an argument over something completely ridiculous.

This thread is about being in the race by retro night and showing Jason he should have stayed with us. I never said I hate the man, just that I'll boo him because I'm pissed about is attitude showing up here again and the way he handled the situation. I'm not hung up on this and if he has success with the Caps I couldn't care less. I would like to show him up though. Everything else has been in your mind.

I started this? In my mind? Dude, you said something that just wasn't true. I tried pointing you in the direction of some quotes you may not have seen, but instead of dropping your ridiculous claim, you insisted that the words "I'm at the end of my career" couldn't possibly be interpreted as a hint at retirement. And you did it not once, not twice, but thrice.

If someone says they're AT THE END of something, then maybe they're hinting that they're AT THE END of something. Maybe. It's possible. If you can't grasp that, then I don't know what to tell you.

(Enough links for one post?)

Calm down dude. I definitely think you're overreacting here.