Odds on Rolston Getting Waived/Re-Entried Again?

Sharifijanov2099

2. Brian Rolston to waive his NTC to accept a buy out, to get a new contract. Why the hell would he do this? I would hope his Agent is not a moron and would talk him out of it. It would be a mistake.

Obviously 5 million in cap space is better than 2.5 million but isn't this just REALLY wishful thinking?

I think you get 2/3 of the money when you get bought out or something like that, if he gets bought out then gets another one-year contract after being bought out at $1-1.5 million he doesn't actually lose much money on the whole and he can go wherever suits him best.

It could be wishful thinking but if he continues playing well over the last twenty games then I do think you'll find a taker. Worst-case (if we still need the room) you can try the re-entry thing during camp and see if anyone takes him for $2.5. If he does fall off again before the end of the season well you won't find a taker regardless.

The only team Rolston goes to is the Islanders or dare I say...the Rags. Either way, I'd say hoo-f-ing -ray in a New York minute.

I will say he has made a nice improvement, where many a spoiled pro athlete would have just packed it in.

Edited by hystyk28

This Florida Plan seems like a long shot. You need

1. Florida ownership to talk themselves into buying out a player they don't even have just to reach a salary floor, instead of say signing a mediocre guy like Ponikarovsky for 1 year 2 million dollars who is at least going to play. I don't see why they would do this unless the Devils gave them a valuable prospect or pick, the Ponikarovsky (just an example, there will be other FAs looking for a home) plan makes more sense for them.

remember that with the buy-out, they SAVE money. if their plan is to stay at the floor, and i'll be shocked if that isn't the plan given how much salary they cut, they pay $3.37M in real dollars for a $5M cap hit. if they trade the reinprecht deal, a deal currently not on their cap but that they are paying for, they save even more money.

2. Brian Rolston to waive his NTC to accept a buy out, to get a new contract. Why the hell would he do this? I would hope his Agent is not a moron and would talk him out of it. It would be a mistake.

he wouldn't lose very much money and he could go where he pleases. otherwise, it's back on the waiver/re-entry waiver train and who knows where he might end up if that happened? with a buyout he gets 3.37M. so if he gets a $2M contract, he MAKES money on the deal.

EDIT: Another factor, you have to hope the Devils among all teams trying to get under the cap, present the best scenario for Florida to reach the salary floor. There will be other teams looking to dump salary, and you need buying out Rolston to be Florida's best option instead of say trading for Chris Drury and a Prospect or whatever other offers other GMS are forming to entice Florida.

chris drury has an NMC so we can rule that out right away. and again, the devils can provide other enticements - one is taking on the reinprecht deal. another might be throwing in a prospect like corrente that doesn't have a future here. and again, there are few deals that actually might save a team money and this is one of them.

Edited by Triumph

remember that with the buy-out, they SAVE money.

In terms of real money. They are not saving money they are spending 3.37 million dollars for a 5 million dollar cap hit (which is I guess a bargain but not a great one). Their team will remain the same if they do or do not take the deal. They are deciding to buy a cap hit essentially. I think they would be better off spending that money on players who will actually play and try to get the needed cap hit that way. The idea that this is their best way to reach the floor seems silly to me. They are not rich, spending money on players who won't even play can't be the best option for them unless you pay them a player/prospect. I think the pool will be large enough for them to find guys to go there.

he wouldn't lose very much money and he could go where he pleases. otherwise, it's back on the waiver/re-entry waiver train and who knows where he might end up if that happened? with a buyout he gets 3.37M. so if he gets a $2M contract, he MAKES money on the deal.

I don't see him getting 2 Million. There is a 0% chance he gets more than a year for sure. The only real benefit I see to agreeing to it is as you said, he gets to choose where he plays that last year to try and get a new contract. Maybe he thinks its worth it.

chris drury has an NMC so we can rule that out right away. and again, the devils can provide other enticements - one is taking on the reinprecht deal. another might be throwing in a prospect like corrente that doesn't have a future here. and again, there are few deals that actually might save a team money and this is one of them.

Drury was just the first horrible contract I thought of. In fact it costs 5 million next year for a 7 million dollar cap hit. So if I understand the rules correctly, A team could also buy him out for 3.37 million dollars as well, and they would get a 7 million dollar cap hit, which actually makes him better than Rolston to the Panthers in this scenario. Maybe the Rangers convince him to go to Florida and be bought out for the exact same reasons we're listing here as Rolston (except threat of waivers).

The point is there will be other GMS looking to dump salary on Florida. The Devils will need to beat their offers, as well as whatever Free Agents the Panthers can convince to come to get it done.

The way I see it, don't re-entry waive him if you think you could do it during the offseason and someone would take him for 2.5 million dollars. Do you think that's likely? Considering the best case scenario listed for him is a 2 million dollar contract I'd say you don't. I agree. I think the most probable scenario is we're stuck with him and can't rid of him this offseason. However the market for Rolston now may be good enough that we can re entry waive him and a contender desperate for offense takes him.

Isn't that a good deal? To trade Rolston for a 2.5 million dollar cap hit next year? Obviously Rolston for a 0 million dollar cap hit is better but I think it's a little too much to hope for.

So Stekel is overpaid at 1.1 as a fourth line center who can pk and is a top faceoff man, but rolston could find a 2 million deal at 38(39?) when he has underproduced the last few years except for when he played with elias.

in case people haven't noticed, the devils are still 30th in offense this year. part of the reason they are 30th is because brian rolston is playing a major role in the offense. he is not good.

Again, why would roltson waive the ntc to hopefully (let me stress hopefully) sign a $1.66+ 1 year deal?

In terms of real money. They are not saving money they are spending 3.37 million dollars for a 5 million dollar cap hit (which is I guess a bargain but not a great one). Their team will remain the same if they do or do not take the deal. They are deciding to buy a cap hit essentially. I think they would be better off spending that money on players who will actually play and try to get the needed cap hit that way. The idea that this is their best way to reach the floor seems silly to me. They are not rich, spending money on players who won't even play can't be the best option for them unless you pay them a player/prospect. I think the pool will be large enough for them to find guys to go there.

We disagree. The player pool is very shallow this off-season. They are also not trying to win - when you sell off Dennis Wideman for a 3rd round pick and a nothing prospect, that's what you're telling everyone - so paying a guy to not play is a pretty attractive deal. I haven't tried to work out how they make it to $40 million next year, but I think it will be difficult for them.

I don't see him getting 2 Million. There is a 0% chance he gets more than a year for sure. The only real benefit I see to agreeing to it is as you said, he gets to choose where he plays that last year to try and get a new contract. Maybe he thinks its worth it.

The free agent market is shallow and the cap is going up. Plus, a lot of bad deals are ending. The 2008 draft class was ridiculously strong. All of this adds up to teams having a lot of money in their coffers again.

Drury was just the first horrible contract I thought of. In fact it costs 5 million next year for a 7 million dollar cap hit. So if I understand the rules correctly, A team could also buy him out for 3.37 million dollars as well, and they would get a 7 million dollar cap hit, which actually makes him better than Rolston to the Panthers in this scenario. Maybe the Rangers convince him to go to Florida and be bought out for the exact same reasons we're listing here as Rolston (except threat of waivers).

Drury's cap hit on a buy out would be the buy-out money. Florida makes no money on such a deal. The Rangers will likely buy Drury out themselves.

The way I see it, don't re-entry waive him if you think you could do it during the offseason and someone would take him for 2.5 million dollars. Do you think that's likely? Considering the best case scenario listed for him is a 2 million dollar contract I'd say you don't. I agree. I think the most probable scenario is we're stuck with him and can't rid of him this offseason. However the market for Rolston now may be good enough that we can re entry waive him and a contender desperate for offense takes him.

Isn't that a good deal? To trade Rolston for a 2.5 million dollar cap hit next year? Obviously Rolston for a 0 million dollar cap hit is better but I think it's a little too much to hope for.

I don't think anyone will take him on. We've seen lots of players slide through re-entry lately, and adding a guy that late in the season, how much can he really help you?

So Stekel is overpaid at 1.1 as a fourth line center who can pk and is a top faceoff man, but rolston could find a 2 million deal at 38(39?) when he has underproduced the last few years except for when he played with elias.

rolston's put up a point every other game and he can kill penalties and play on the power play. the devils are playing him 17 minutes a night. do you want to find the other forwards who play that much? trust me, almost all of them make more than $2 million (or they are on ELCs). i'm not saying that means rolston will get $2M, but he will get $1M for sure.

steckel doesn't play close to that amount of time, and he is pretty much a faceoff guy who can do little else.

Again, why would roltson waive the ntc to hopefully (let me stress hopefully) sign a $1.66+ 1 year deal?

he's not wanted here. he might get put on waivers and re-entry waivers again. having that uncertainty hanging over one's head for the whole summer cannot be good. rolston's probably made around $20M in after-tax dollars in his career, i think giving up 1/200th of that is worth it for the choice to play where you please.

Edited by Triumph

Drury's cap hit on a buy out would be the buy-out money. Florida makes no money on such a deal. The Rangers will likely buy Drury out themselves.

The reason being that he signed it before he was 35?

If that's the case, then ok Rolston's contract has some appeal to a team that goes into the season ONLY thinking "How do I spend as little money possible this year" when it comes to roster building.

Edit: BTW if you want more fuel for the Rolston to FLA proposal, if he gets that buy out money from Florida he doesn't have to pay state income tax I believe. So he would need an even smaller contract the ones you propose to make money.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

in case people haven't noticed, the devils are still 30th in offense this year. part of the reason they are 30th is because brian rolston is playing a major role in the offense. he is not good. elias has been driving the bus for EVERYONE this year - when you play with elias, your numbers are improved, and when you don't, they aren't.

rolston is not doing enough. he plays the point on the power play. he gets great ice time with the devils' best forward. with that, he's doing okay. it's still not good enough.

rolston's put up a point every other game and he can kill penalties and play on the power play. the devils are playing him 17 minutes a night. do you want to find the other forwards who play that much? trust me, almost all of them make more than $2 million (or they are on ELCs). i'm not saying that means rolston will get $2M, but he will get $1M for sure.

steckel doesn't play close to that amount of time, and he is pretty much a faceoff guy who can do little else.

he's not wanted here. he might get put on waivers and re-entry waivers again. having that uncertainty hanging over one's head for the whole summer cannot be good. rolston's probably made around $20M in after-tax dollars in his career, i think giving up 1/200th of that is worth it for the choice to play where you please.

won't argue much about Steckel casue I just have't sene him play much

he gets a ton of ice time on the 30'th ranked offensive team. Why will he get offers at all? can't have it both ways.

The uncertainty of having a contract but being waived is is too much to handle, but waiving his ntc with the purpose of being bought out and being a free agent with the possibility that he won't be signed, you know, because he is not good, is acceptable?

won't argue much about Steckel casue I just have't sene him play much

he gets a ton of ice time on the 30'th ranked offensive team. Why will he get offers at all? can't have it both ways.

The uncertainty of having a contract but being waived is is too much to handle, but waiving his ntc with the purpose of being bought out and being a free agent with the possibility that he won't be signed, you know, because he is not good, is acceptable?

unless rolston's season goes horribly wrong, he will finish with decent numbers. the devils are also using him on the penalty kill. find me forwards who went from 17 minutes a game to involuntary retirement - there's not many of them. there will be a demand for rolston's services somewhere - if rob niedermayer can get work coming off last season, then certainly brian rolston can as well.

unless rolston's season goes horribly wrong, he will finish with decent numbers. the devils are also using him on the penalty kill. find me forwards who went from 17 minutes a game to involuntary retirement - there's not many of them. there will be a demand for rolston's services somewhere - if rob niedermayer can get work coming off last season, then certainly brian rolston can as well.

Why should he put himself out there when he has a contract already? Why should he take the pay cut? Casue he is afraid of being claimed? If he isn't worth 2.5 so who would anyone claim him? Casue he doesn't feel loved? he's played his best hockey since being put on waivers. If I'm Lou next time he slumps I put him on waivers again.

I understand what you are trying to do. makes sense from a devils perspective. It might make sense from a FLA perspective. I just don't see it from Rolston's perspective. I am assuming he likes it here or else he never would have come back.

Why should he put himself out there when he has a contract already? Why should he take the pay cut? Casue he is afraid of being claimed? If he isn't worth 2.5 so who would anyone claim him? Casue he doesn't feel loved? he's played his best hockey since being put on waivers. If I'm Lou next time he slumps I put him on waivers again.

I understand what you are trying to do. makes sense from a devils perspective. It might make sense from a FLA perspective. I just don't see it from Rolston's perspective. I am assuming he likes it here or else he never would have come back.

because he isn't wanted here. and if he wants ice time next year, he'll have to go elsewhere. he is not in the devils' top 6 next year.

According to Cap Geek the Panthers have 9 players signed at 16,678,334 for next year. That means they have to spend 26,721,666 on 14 players just to get this years floor. Say the cap goes up 2-3 million they have to spend 28-29 million in the offseason.

According to Cap Geek the Panthers have 9 players signed at 16,678,334 for next year. That means they have to spend 26,721,666 on 14 players just to get this years floor. Say the cap goes up 2-3 million they have to spend 28-29 million in the offseason.

Florida is going to over spend on a UFA or two - they'll give some defenseman like erhoff or markov $4MM - $5.5MM. they'll try to get a forward at decent money too.

also - the penalty for not hitting the floor means you don't get revenue sharing. that's not to say that betteman wouldn't be all over them for the embarassment.

Florida is going to over spend on a UFA or two - they'll give some defenseman like erhoff or markov $4MM - $5.5MM. they'll try to get a forward at decent money too.

also - the penalty for not hitting the floor means you don't get revenue sharing. that's not to say that betteman wouldn't be all over them for the embarassment.

they will still have some trouble hitting it.

and also revenue sharing is the only way florida has a chance to break even. they discount tickets, they advertise to fans of other teams, parking is free - it's all a plan to continue to receive revenue sharing.