Brain injury advocate to Lindros: quit

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

Brain injury advocate to Lindros: quit

TSN.ca Staff

2/10/2004

An Albany-based attorney who leads an advocacy group for victims of brain injuries says Eric Lindros should not be allowed to play hockey again.

Michael Kaplen, the president of the Brain Injury Association of New York, says sports concussions and brain injuries in particular are underappreciated.

"How can I say... 'Retire him?' How do I have the nerve?" Kaplen tells the Daily News. "My answer is that I've seen thousands who have had the same injury and went back to play and had tragic consequences."

Two leading researchers in the field of sports-related concussions don't necessarily agree with Kaplen's conclusions.

"In my opinion, I don't think the actual number of concussions really is an issue," said Dr. Ira Casson, who is a member of the NFL's subcommittee on brain injury.

"I know that there are many people in the field who would probably think otherwise. I don't know what their number is, but they would probably say once you get to a certain number, you probably should stop."

Dr. Mark Lovell of the University of Pittsburgh, who has designed testing programs for both the NFL and NHL, agrees that there is no magic number. He says frequency of concussions and diminished resistance to lesser blows are key factors in determining whether a player should be permitted to return.

Lovell says since 25 months have passed between concussions for Lindros and the fact that a forceful blow was required to cause the latest one are potentially encouraging signs.

Lindros is currently recovering from his eighth documented concussion after he was bodychecked by Washington defenceman Jason Doig two weeks ago. He is currently under the care of noted neurologist Dr. Karen Johston.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=71659

I find this crap so facinating!

I wish I had time to have another career! I'd love to be a neuropsychologist! (Or an Astrophysicist! I always have to add that since this is what I always say I wish I had done - I know it's not medical in case some knob decided to ask why I'd need medschool to be an astrophysicist! :rolleyes: )

The hitch is that Med school would make me yack ... well anatomy would kill me - I value life too much to be able to mess around with a cadaver...but I digress :lol:

Edited by Pepperkorn

I put little faith into people who make statements about a particular individual without examining them useless. This guy, I am sure, knows alot about sports injuries, but for him to comment on Lindros and his situation is out of line. Each injury, like each patient, is unique and should not be pidgeon holed into this guys thinking.

I put little faith into people who make statements about a particular individual without examining them useless. This guy, I am sure, knows alot about sports injuries, but for him to comment on Lindros and his situation is out of line. Each injury, like each patient, is unique and should not be pidgeon holed into this guys thinking.

could not have said it better myself!