Ilya Kovalchuk helping to write Devils' unbelievable script

Legion15

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update. Can you tell us what Zach had for breakfast and how felt about it, too?

Eggs benedict, which is surprising because he is not a big Hollandaise sauce fan (I think its the increased PT). He wasn't too happy with it as it he claims it was very average, with an above average cost $12.95.

For lunch (if he gets back early enough) he is going to Grimaldi's.

I think the organIzation signed kovy with every intention of bringing Zach back. In fact I can see us resigning him to a higher cap than kovy. this team is big enough for the both of them. although marty and colin might not like how they pull it off

I have no doubt Parise will have a higher cap hit. There's a lot of reasons for that. And one is because Parise is a better player in my honest opinion.

I have no doubt Parise will have a higher cap hit. There's a lot of reasons for that. And one is because Parise is a better player in my honest opinion.

Better player is debatable, more complete? Maybe, more marketable, perhaps, bottom line is they have different styles, but I really like both of their games. it would be absolutely great if we had them both wrapped up long term

Yea and we climbed to first place with SCOTT CLEMMENSEN in net! Guess we should have named him the starter!

He should've stayed the starter.....remember that after win 552 the "team" went to hell

My point was that the team has proven they can win even without Parise so no need to be sarcastic with the yeyy welcome the Kovalchuk, Josefson, bla bla era.

Edited by cubanjd305

Better player is debatable, more complete? Maybe, more marketable, perhaps, bottom line is they have different styles, but I really like both of their games. it would be absolutely great if we had them both wrapped up long term

Kovalchuk is most definitely the more skilled of the two. But yea, getting Parise locked up is a must for the Devils. Has there been a Devils player more beloved than Parise in the recent years?

He should've stayed the starter.....remember that after win 552 the "team" went to hell

My point was that the team has proven they can win even without Parise so no need to be sarcastic with the yeyy welcome the Kovalchuk, Josefson, bla bla era.

Please, Clemmensen's play was hugely overrated. He gave up rebounds like crazy and he had a really hard time keeping track of where the puck went after the initial save. He was also good for at least one highly stoppable shot getting by him per game. The defense stepped it up bigtime during the stretch Brodeur was out. Brodeur is one of the best goalies of all time. You don't make him ride the pine while Clemmensen plays.

And of course they have shown they can win without Parise, but they're not going to play 18-2-2 hockey all season next year and keeping Parise only makes the team better.

Edited by devilsfan26

Sorry guys but hey.... I love Parisé i know we will resign him and all that stuff... but Parise has never been as dominant as Kovalchuk is for the last two month. Not only for goals and stuff like that but man he lead the play. We need Parise on that team too. These guy are so different but kovalchuk is the better man no doubt in my mind. I listen to l'Antichambre at RDS (a french talk show with Mario tremblay Pj Stock and others) and they tell Ilya Kovalchuk right now in 2011 is argubly the best hockey player in the World! and they tell how Lamoriello is a genius and all that stuff :P

Anyway we will have the two of them! they are so different but so good in different things. Example, Parise is a beast in front of the goalie and kovalchuk is a beast at the point!

Im a quebec guy so sorry for english in advance i do my best

but i dont miss a devils game :)

Sorry guys but hey.... I love Parisé i know we will resign him and all that stuff... but Parise has never been as dominant as Kovalchuk is for the last two month. Not only for goals and stuff like that but man he lead the play. We need Parise on that team too. These guy are so different but kovalchuk is the better man no doubt in my mind. I listen to l'Antichambre at RDS (a french talk show with Mario tremblay Pj Stock and others) and they tell Ilya Kovalchuk right now in 2011 is argubly the best hockey player in the World! and they tell how Lamoriello is a genius and all that stuff :P

Anyway we will have the two of them! they are so different but so good in different things. Example, Parise is a beast in front of the goalie and kovalchuk is a beast at the point!

Im a quebec guy so sorry for english in advance i do my best

but i dont miss a devils game :)

No doubt in my mind that Kovy is the most exciting, powerful hockey player. but you can't dismiss +/- career numbers. and the facts are that for most of his career, the other team scored more goals when Kovy WASon the ice. thats changing now, and at 6mil per year he's become THE BARGAIN of the league!

Edited by EdgeControl

Probably a very minor part but it kills your +/- when your team gets scored on and you just stepped on the ice and couldn't get in the play in time to help. especially during the long changes in the 2nd period. if that happens a lot it sucks.

regardless of what happens with the playoffs, i think Kovy realizes he made the right decision by picking New Jersey. He absolutely loves it here, he was even saying how much he loves the area and the fans when they were at the bottom of the barrel. He finally found his niche and is definitely the picture of a Devil. Kovy is a Devil for life and I'm glad hes here to stay.

As we all know, Kovalchuk just tied Ovechkin for the league in game-winning goals. Here's a quick look beyond that number.

Total game-winners:

- Ovechkin: 9

- Kovalchuk: 9

Game-winners in games decided by one goal:

- Ovechkin: 5

- Kovalchuk: 7

Game-winners in overtime:

- Ovechkin: 2

- Kovalchuk: 4

As we all know, Kovalchuk just tied Ovechkin for the league in game-winning goals. Here's a quick look beyond that number.

Total game-winners:

- Ovechkin: 9

- Kovalchuk: 9

Game-winners in games decided by one goal:

- Ovechkin: 5

- Kovalchuk: 7

Game-winners in overtime:

- Ovechkin: 2

- Kovalchuk: 4

And Ovechkin is having a significantly down year. But so is Kovalchuk for that matter. A lot of Russians are having off years.

And Ovechkin is having a significantly down year. But so is Kovalchuk for that matter. A lot of Russians are having off years.

That's not exactly how the stat works. Just because Ovechkin's goal totals are down doesn't mean he or the entire NHL has scored less GWG. 9 game winners is a lot for the entirety of any season. Last year the league leader (Heatley) had 9 GWG. Ovie had 7.

2 years ago Ovie had 10 GWG. 3 years ago he had 11. He is on pace to match and pass both those years this year. (He had 5 his rookie season and 8 his sophomore year)

That's not exactly how the stat works. Just because Ovechkin's goal totals are down doesn't mean he or the entire NHL has scored less GWG. 9 game winners is a lot for the entirety of any season. Last year the league leader (Heatley) had 9 GWG. Ovie had 7.

2 years ago Ovie had 10 GWG. 3 years ago he had 11. He is on pace to match and pass both those years this year. (He had 5 his rookie season and 8 his sophomore year)

Oh my bad. Also, the fact that the Caps have 6 more wins than the Devils says a lot about Kovy's production as well. I honestly hope some of the other guys pick up their scoring. Kovy will cool down eventually.

Oh my bad. Also, the fact that the Caps have 6 more wins than the Devils says a lot about Kovy's production as well. I honestly hope some of the other guys pick up their scoring. Kovy will cool down eventually.

Well as tri and others have pointed out before, this pace kovy's on isn't exactly unmatchable for him. He's always been (I think, at least) a PPG player, which is what he's doing now.

I mean, yeah the dramatic OT winning goals will likely stop occurring as frequently, but I still expect him to generally pick up a point per game.