GM's to reccomend big changes

Weekes Head

Simply put every time you change the rules some people will like it; some people will hate it and a lot of people will get confused. So when you decide that the rule doesn't work you will piss the people off who liked the rule; piss the people off who were confused by the rule since they will be more confused and may just turn the TV channel to the NBA and the people who hated it to begin with are now used to the rule so they will be pissed off because that's what people that hate rule changes are like.

- Goalies can no longer handle the puck behind the back-end red line (behind the net);

I don't like this. It penalizes some of the best goalies. Not just Brodeur, but also Turco & Belfour.

- The width of goalie pads will be reduced to 10 inches from the current limit of 12 inches;

:clap:

- The nets will brought back to 10 feet from the back boards from the current 13 feet;

- The tag-up offsides will be brought back;

- AHL will try out three points being awarded for a victory in regulation time with NHL possibly going to that format in 2005-06 if it works well in the minors; that would also include two points for an overtime win, it may also include two points for a penalty shootout win.

I'm very unsure about this. This sounds like it will be more complicated instead of less complicated, which it should be.

Also, as Jester said - where's the instigator rule change?

I did read also that they are going to change immediately the way they call goals when the net becomes slightly dislodged (they will still allow the goal if the net only moves a little); and that penaly shots can now be awarded if the "scorer" is obstructed *even before he has clear possession of the puck*.

seems to me the inability to play the puck behind the net will also increase the amount of racing full speed to get to the puck first--and more crashing into the endboards.i think ken holland is pushing for this--how have his goalies been at handling the puck :rolleyes:

--howdy folks!-------swampy

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "dislodged". What they're saying is that if the net just tips back a little but doesn't move much, so that there's really no effect on whether a goal could go in or not, that the goal will count. Does that sound better?

I think it's a sensible rule. In the Stars/Ducks playoffs last year, both teams had a goal waived off under that situation, in the same game.

But why waste everyone's time? I agree with Joe Mac. Hockey is a sport older than anyone on the board and currently in power in the NHL (save for Sinden). Why not let the game be the game? It will adapt. It will change. It will heal itself. Already we're seeing rules that were put in within the last decade (moving the net up, elimination of tag-up offsides) rolled back. The instigator will God-willing be next. So why even tinker with stuff if it's just going to be revised in a few years?

Just call the damn penalties. Give teams a bunch of power plays, and we'll get those 1.5 goals a game back...

<JESTER>

agreed. It's just because the NHL isn't doing well money wise and they think more offense = more fans. I would have to guess that hockey is one of the least liked of all the pro sports leagues.

It sucks. I wish they would roll back some rules (nets and tag-up offsides), get rid of instigators as well, and then let it be.