What a disgrace

Guest Devsrule

Flyers went through a terrible slump for a period of time... and now they're doing just fine.

Then again, they were forced to make some trades due to injury; maybe the Devils will be forced to make trades, too. Unfortunately, as has been stated more times than I can count, the Devils have very little in the way of bargaining chips.

Martin won't be traded... Lou thinks he's the next Niedermayer. Rafalski won't be traded, nor will Hale. Brown? Albelin? Worth nothing.

Of the forwards corps, the only players I could see possibly being traded are Marshall, Rupp, Berglund, Bicek... and Friesen if a really damn good deal springs up.

Not much in the way of leverage on the roster.

I really think it's like a few other posters noted in the game thread -- if Stevens isn't coming back, I think Lamoriello "takes a dive" on this year. I'm not saying salary dumps, but I could see him making deals to try and strengthen the team for the next season -- which could be a good thing if it means focusing intently on re-signing Niedermayer.

Eh, who knows. It's all speculation.

Edited by insanity_gallops

iggy, my fear is that this isn't 'just a slump' in terms of confidence without Stevens in the lineup. I felt as though this team was still pretty strong at first when he went down, but that has started to die down to the point where they look awful out there. Without the leadership, the D looks very shaky and I don't know if I'm confident this team will go far (trades or not) without Stevens in the lineup.

I would hate to think that we will sacrifice the "youth" movement on D for this season. But it looks like Burns' tenure is in peril if he doesn't sit down and devise some sort of offensive scheme. You simply cannot score with only 3 men in the offensive zone, all behind the net!! Well, it wont be the first time this team cooked a coach.

as much as losing to the rags sucks and as bad as the whole team has been i think its more important to get everyone healthy and going in the right direction when the end of the season is in sight.if the slumps continues tho it will be tough positioning once the playoffs start--look how important it turned out to be last year----swampy

Well, if the slump continues, Larry is waiting in the wings, collecting his devils paycheck, waiting for the right head coaching job to come along still - hey, wouldn' t be the first time lou fired a coach when the team went into a tailspin, you know.

It is just a slump. We just need a bit of tinkering and we will be fine.

Tinkering... we need a large hammer, not a little one. Something needs to shake the team, and I worry a trade is the only solution... 'specially if Stevens remains out.

But we're the Devils. That means Grant Marshall when we all want Miro Satan.

Then again, look how that worked out :uni:

<JESTER>

It just seems like such a waste... but fact is Burns is ultimately accountable for this situation. He knows it... he was down right flushed behind the bench last night. He's got to pull it together and not fear... I smell fear!! Anyone else?

Nieds helms a jackrabbit Devil team but the teams been built around a grizzly... Nieds drives me nuts. Always has always will. I love him but with all he's got we all know that SOMETHING is missing. I confess :( I pretended I saw it :saddevil: ... I just DON'T SEE IT guys! He can't stand alone and drive this team. It won't be what I'm comfortable with anyhow. I see no real strength -- I see solitude and peace and I see a snippy temper and I see ability to stand up for stuff... I really want to articulate what's missing. Hmm... he doesn't get blinded by purpose... he's not apologetic exactly

It may take time, PK. This has always been a breach loaded team. The Young 'uns dont have the confidence yet. Nor do they have the blind trust in themselves that they have when Scotty is around. The house is safer and more complete when DAD gets home. :rolleyes:

It just seems like such a waste... but fact is Burns is ultimately accountable for this situation. He knows it... he was down right flushed behind the bench last night. He's got to pull it together and not fear... I smell fear!! Anyone else?

OMG, Burns was going crazy pushing players off the bench and stuff, he took the tirade out of the locker room. :rofl:

I would hate to think that we will sacrifice the "youth" movement on D for this season. But it looks like Burns' tenure is in peril if he doesn't sit down and devise some sort of offensive scheme. You simply cannot score with only 3 men in the offensive zone, all behind the net!! Well, it wont be the first time this team cooked a coach.

Offensive scheme?? How can you reshape & get offense out of the group we've got. Burns' position in peril?? get a grip, Who on this team is going to provide scoring besides elias?? Friesen?? Gomer? raffi?? Ever think maybe marty was faulted on a goal or 2 here lately??

I think we'll be fine, but I think we need help. Igor was a bust We also need to remember stevens may be finished.

vince

Mogilny was a big trade.

Friesen was a big trade.

Gilmour was a big trade.

But the most successful trades have been the little ones.

Broten.

Some say Malakhov (I'm not one of them).

Marshall had 6 goals in the playoffs last year.... plus the nifty pass to Friesen.

Lou was trying to land the big fish last year, but ran out of time. I think it was Gomez and Tvo for Selanne, but Teemu nixed it. Thanks, Teemu!!!!