Mites travel hockey

madams9

Sorry is this is in the wrong location. I wasn't sure which forum to post it in. I know there are enough hockey players in this forum so I thought it might work.

My son just turned 8 and really wants to play travel hockey. I have explained to him what he has to give up (no more Devil games, very early wake up calls, long drives, etc) and he is fine with it. Can somebody share their travel hockey experiences. My son can do either travel hockey or travel soccer but prefers hockey.

if it matters, he would try out for the Stars in Princeton. Has anybody else dealt with them?

Edited by madams9

I work at a youth hockey school as an instructional referee for the weekly scrimmages, and all I have to say is please for the sake of the kid's enjoyment and development don't be one of those parents that yells at him about how he's playing or tells him not to play defense.

I work at a youth hockey school as an instructional referee for the weekly scrimmages, and all I have to say is please for the sake of the kid's enjoyment and development don't be one of those parents that yells at him about how he's playing or tells him not to play defense.

That isn't me. I let him know when he does good job and I let it go when he doesn't. He is only 8 years old. I mention to him things that I think he should work on but in the end, if he says he doesn't want to play anymore, so be it.

His favorite player is Colin White so he prefers defense. In fact, he really wants to play goalie. I have no issue with it and if the rec league finds some house pads for him to try out that would be great. That hasn't happened yet.

I've seen a more than a few 8 year old goalies in that ubiquitous Marty Reebok set, it's the pads, waffle and glove and was 100 bucks or so. It's the set my son is wearing in my avatar, actually ;) There aren't any 70MPH slapshots coming from 8 year olds.

I've seen a more than a few 8 year old goalies in that ubiquitous Marty Reebok set, it's the pads, waffle and glove and was 100 bucks or so. It's the set my son is wearing in my avatar, actually ;) There aren't any 70MPH slapshots coming from 8 year olds.

$100 is nothing when is comes to pads. I will check it out. At home in the drive way he uses catcher equipment that somebody gave us. He loves playing goalie

Yeah, the Franklin Sports 12092F4 Goalie set will take care of him as well. It's very similar. If you look around you'll see a lot of those 4 piece sets for $80-$120. He'll still need a good chest/arm protector though - a 'Play it again sports' type place might be your best bet for that bit. Let me find out what brand my son has and I'll shoot you a PM, it's a good one we got for about 30 bucks lightly used.

My son was the same way, though he switched to defense this last season and is looking like 'ol # 27 more and more every time he's out there now LOL