• Under 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 30
    • 31+
  2. 2. Have you seen "Trading Places" starring Eddie Murphy

• YES
    • NO

I would totally understand if this gets moved and I apologize if some feel this is extraneous or frivolous during this epic run the Devils are on, but this has been bothering me since last night when several of us were in chat after the game last night.

A little background: While watching On the Fly on NHL Network, they pronounced Josefson as Yakob Yoseffson (it's not the first time). While this may be how they roll in Sweden, here, the J's get pronounced like the word "Juice".

I happened to make reference to Trading Places by mentioning the line, "In this country, we say Happy New Year." I was saddened that this essentially drew crickets as several members hadn't seen or knew anything about the movie. I found it incredulous. Now believe it or not, I actually work for a living and have been fairly busy today. But this has been eating at me all day. And because this came from a chat from NJdevs - I felt I had to pull you all in.

So what say you - do you know the movie and would you know that line was from it?

Edited by sundstrom

I would totally understand if this gets moved and I apologize if some feel this is extraneous or frivolous during this epic run the Devils are on, but this has been bothering me since last night when several of us were in chat after the game last night.

A little background: While watching On the Fly on NHL Network, they pronounced Josefson as Yakob Yoseffson (it's not the first time). While this may be how they roll in Sweden, here, the J's get pronounced like the word "Juice".

I happened to make reference to Trading Places by mentioning the line, "In this country, we say Happy New Year." I was saddened that this essentially drew crickets as several members hadn't seen or knew anything about the movie. I found it incredulous. Now believe it or not, I actually work for a living and have been fairly busy today. But this has been eating at me all day. And because this came from a chat from NJdevs - I felt I had to pull you all in.

So what say you - do you know the movie and would you know that line was from it?

Have I seen the movie? Yes

Can I quote lines? Not really

Do I love the Trading Places reference in Coming to America? 100 times Yes:)

Never seen it, but there's giant gaps in my movie knowledge history, so that's not unusual.

I've been calling him Yacob Yosefson too, but that's because I like shortening it to YaYo.

he's been jj to me, but lemaire refers to him as "Joe".

let me ask, do you know/ have you seen caddy shack and/or animal house? if no, then, while incomprehensible to me, i'd say that these movies do nothing for you. but if you've seen the other two, and know them, then it's like knowing what the constitution is, but having no idea what the declaration of independence is.

i am clearly out of my mind that this i give a rats ass about this, by the way.

he's been jj to me, but lemaire refers to him as "Joe".

let me ask, do you know/ have you seen caddy shack and/or animal house? if no, then, while incomprehensible to me, i'd say that these movies do nothing for you. but if you've seen the other two, and know them, then it's like knowing what the constitution is, but having no idea what the declaration of independence is.

I honestly don't think I've ever seen either of them all the way through, now that you mention it. Bits and pieces of each, but I don't think I've ever sat down and watched either beginning-to-end.

but if you've seen the other two, and know them, then it's like knowing what the constitution is, but having no idea what the declaration of independence is.

i think trading places is more like the articles of confederation in this analogy. i like the movie a lot, but to me it's not one of the funniest movies i've seen - it's just a very solid comedy movie.

great movie. its been a while since i have last seen it, so i probably would of missed that quote too. i remember when seeing it at times on wpix ch 11 when they used to show the sunday afternoon movie

i think trading places is more like the articles of confederation in this analogy. i like the movie a lot, but to me it's not one of the funniest movies i've seen - it's just a very solid comedy movie.

that is actually a good analogy.

and perhaps i wasn't fair because the other two are staples that actually cross into other fields. I mean, both of those are on the jumbotron just about every game. they're also almost culturally significant.

doesn't change the fact that trading places is hysterical and "important" to anyone that values movies and comedy. again, it is eddie murphy's (one of the funniest people of the last 30 years) funniest role.

that is actually a good analogy.

and perhaps i wasn't fair because the other two are staples that actually cross into other fields. I mean, both of those are on the jumbotron just about every game. they're also almost culturally significant.

doesn't change the fact that trading places is hysterical and "important" to anyone that values movies and comedy. again, it is eddie murphy's (one of the funniest people of the last 30 years) funniest role.

haha....id like to apologize to this board for the reason this thread is created

Edited by SMantzas

I'll be 28 next month and have never seen Trading Places. I kinda know what it is, but never saw it. Caddyshack and Animal House, on the other hand, are in my personal top 10 with Caddyshack as probably my favorite all time comedy. But I'm kinda weird with that. Like, Dirty Work is also in my top 10, and that's a movie most people have probably never heard of. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to drop "Why don't you get a horse, move to the mountains and stop bothering people" in this forum but didn't because I figured no one would get the reference.