Sign in to follow this  
estreetcrew3

UPDATED: DEVILS VIEWING PARTY 3/25 @ MCGOVERNS TAVERN W/ KEN DANEYKO

"On Friday, March 25th the Devils will be taking on the Penguins & what better way to cheer them on (other than being AT the game) than to do so with TONS of other Devils fans, the guys from 'Hockey This Week', & SPECIAL GUEST: KEN DANEYKO!!!!!

THIS EVENT IS BEING HELD AT MCGOVERN'S TAVERN (Not Port 44 as previously stated).

ALL Devils fans are welcome & encouraged to attend! Hope to see everyone there & LET'S GO DEVILS!!!"

More info & RSVP: Devils vs Penguins NHLTweetUp

Edited by estreetcrew3

Hopefully we see you there, the last two we had a decent turn out. With Dano coming this one should be even better.

Going to this. I cannot confirm my RSVP because that site is blocked here at my job, but I am def coming.

This sounds really cool! I won't be able to make it again as I will be attending the devils away games :D

Who are the guys from "Hockey this week" btw? I've never even heard of that program.

The location of the viewing party has been moved to McGovern's Tavern in Newark. We called to confirm with Port 44 & were told sorry, Ohio State is renting both floors all weekend. The address is: 58 New Street, Newark, NJ 07102. Please spread the word if you know anyone else who is planning on attending.

The location of the viewing party has been moved to McGovern's Tavern in Newark. We called to confirm with Port 44 & were told sorry, Ohio State is renting both floors all weekend. The address is: 58 New Street, Newark, NJ 07102. Please spread the word if you know anyone else who is planning on attending.

That is a load of crap. For what is quite possibly the worst time of the year for sports the NCAA bracket. Seriously who enjoys this stuff when they are not gambling on it? If it wasn't for that, no one would give 2 sh!ts about it.

BTW, due to the change, my attendance is tentative now. Kinda far to walk from Penn Station to that area during a non-game day at night in Newark don't you think? (I may consider car but is there any decent parking garages near by?)

If my son didn't have a game of his own I would go, and take him with me :) Sounds like a blast, I'd love to hang out and have a beer with Ken

BTW, due to the change, my attendance is tentative now. Kinda far to walk from Penn Station to that area during a non-game day at night in Newark don't you think? (I may consider car but is there any decent parking garages near by?)

No, dont think its that bad. You can also take the light rail from Penn to Washington St. Just get on the one going to Grove and get off at Washington and walk half a block. Its about a 5 minute ride from Penn.

McGovern's is in the Rutgers area. Its not bad at all IMO. Still Newark, so keep your wits, but that goes even on game days.

Im not attending, but I would if I was able to.

You can also take the #29 bus from Penn and it has a stop right in front of McGoverns. 5-7 minute ride. Really easy.

Edited by ghdi

Ill be driving in from Jersey city, Parking shouldn't be a problem, I park in the street for every devils game and my car is fine. Plus we have over 50 people that rsvp'd so you prob wont be walking back to the path by yourself. This was really our only choice, so hopefully everyone still shows.

It is a bit of a hike. Doable, but not preferable. If you go, might not be a bad idea to just get one of those cabs outside Penn Station.

McGovern's is the sh!t, though. Out of the probably 20 or so bars I've hit in that general area of Newark, McGovern's might be my favorite. Cool Irish joint, always a great atmosphere.

You don't have to walk. Take the subway to Washington Street, walk north down Washington to New and you're there. Across from the Rutgers campus. Though there's an Edison Lot down New St. Or you can trying parking in the campus garage a block away on University.

I am already paying for the train, I do not want to take light rail, subway, or cab from Penn Station to McGoverns.

This just makes me dislike Port 44 even more. I liked their beers, but their food is downright terrible, even for a brewpub. Plus when I went there the service was pretty slow and it took almost 20 minutes for me to get my beer. Now they bump a Devils vewing party with Ken Daneyko for some NCAA basketball team that happens to be in the sweet 16 that no one will even remember about in a year.

IDK maybe it is my bias but I think NCAA basketball is quite possibly the worst sport in North America.

I am already paying for the train, I do not want to take light rail, subway, or cab from Penn Station to McGoverns.

This just makes me dislike Port 44 even more. I liked their beers, but their food is downright terrible, even for a brewpub. Plus when I went there the service was pretty slow and it took almost 20 minutes for me to get my beer. Now they bump a Devils vewing party with Ken Daneyko for some NCAA basketball team that happens to be in the sweet 16 that no one will even remember about in a year.

IDK maybe it is my bias but I think NCAA basketball is quite possibly the worst sport in North America.

You're right about the service. I went in there prior to a game early in the season , and it took FOREVER to get my order. I also checked their Facebook page, and all the comments from the Devils fans about tonights cancellation magically "disappeared". If thats how they treat the HOME team, F it, they won't be getting my business anymore.

Yeah its really sad. The manager said they forgot about us. We had two viewing party's there before, both times the owner tells us how much he loves what we are doing yada yada yada.... Anyway we told him personally what we had planned for tonight at the last atlanta away game, then we get screwed.

Yeah its really sad. The manager said they forgot about us. We had two viewing party's there before, both times the owner tells us how much he loves what we are doing yada yada yada.... Anyway we told him personally what we had planned for tonight at the last atlanta away game, then we get screwed.

If I ever step in there again, I will take the Devils Red beer and throw it in his face. They market themselves as being fans of the Devils but it is just to capitalize on attracting pre and post game fans of the Devils and could probably care less about it. I highly doubt he "forgot" about the event since you have had 2 before there and just picked NCAA basketball over the Devils. Well the Regional Finals are only in Newark this year, while the devils will be there every year so he made his decision.

If the owner only cares about catering to the "what is hot now" crowd, then he obviously is a poor restauranter when there are review after review about the poor service and terrible food that has still not been addressed.

You're right about the service. I went in there prior to a game early in the season , and it took FOREVER to get my order. I also checked their Facebook page, and all the comments from the Devils fans about tonights cancellation magically "disappeared". If thats how they treat the HOME team, F it, they won't be getting my business anymore.

Haha what did some of the comments say? Plus I am going to take them off of my Facebook too as I do not want to hear about any promotions they are doing. This is how they treat the fans of a team that will be there every year, at least 8 months out of the year for a team that is there just for this weekend.

They removed the post and comments. So now I'm just gonna comment on every post and be an a$$

They removed the post and comments. So now I'm just gonna comment on every post and be an a$$

Good but be a good ass about it and ask why the service is very slow all the time and why the food is terrible haha.

Ah, this guy knows the NCAA BB crap is his bread and butter. Booker is promoting Newark and the bars around the arena to the media to watch the games.

It's nothing personal, it's just good business. This guy wants the revenue which is much more then the viewing party will bring. There's still a party, after all and if the place is bad be thankful it moved! IMO, Devils fans have to stop taking everything as such a personal slight.

Edited by SJP20

Ah, this guy knows the NCAA BB crap is his bread and butter. Booker is promoting Newark and the bars around the arena to the media to watch the games.

It's nothing personal, it's just good business. This guy wants the revenue which is much more then the viewing party will bring. There's still a party, after all and if the place is bad be thankful it moved! IMO, Devils fans have to stop taking everything as such a personal slight.

In a way I am happy it moved cause of the terrible food. But I did like the beer so that part was a bummer.

I am just pissed at how they basically threw out a devils party with Ken Daneyko there for a 1-shot deal with college basketball. Devils fans will be there at least 8 months out of the year for many years to come. So really it is a poor business decision to give us Devils fans the boot.

Consider this, if you owned a retail store and you have 2 customers. Once customer is going to pay for $1000 of items right there on the spot and you will most likely never see the customer again. Then there is another customer who is loyal and only spends $30 a week there, but comes in every week for years. Who would you choose to give preferential treatment to? After a year the second customer will pay over $1500, and then wills till be coming back week after week. Basically this is the same thing and we are that second guy so yeah it is business, but also slightly personal and a bad business decision on the company's part.

I am just pissed at how they basically threw out a devils party with Ken Daneyko there for a 1-shot deal with college basketball. Devils fans will be there at least 8 months out of the year for many years to come. So really it is a poor business decision to give us Devils fans the boot.

Giving you the boot for one night.

And let's face it: the Sweet 16 a lot more important than a meaningless Devils game. Put yourself in their shoes from a business perspective.