Rumor Roundup: Wild Burns trade for Parise

msweet

Minnesota Wild defenseman Brent Burns' costly overtime giveaway against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday not only killed any realistic chance of his team making this year's playoffs, but was cited by Startribune.com columnist Jim Souhan as an example of how Burns' erratic play could impact his long-term future with the Wild.

Burns' current contract expires after next season, making him eligible for unrestricted free agency and leading Souhan to speculate Wild management will have to decide this summer if Burns should be re-signed to a long-term extension worth up to $6 million per season, or traded for hopefully more scoring depth at forward.

Souhan suggested a possible trade target would be New Jersey Devils left winger (and Minnesota native) Zach Parise if the Devils are unable to re-sign the restricted free agent this summer.

As Larry Brooks of the New York Post observed Sunday, the Devils lack a skilled puck-moving, playmaking defenseman. Brooks wondered if perhaps Parise would be the bargaining chip to land such a blueliner.

Parise would be a good fit with the Wild, but one shouldn't automatically assume he'll get swapped for Burns or, for that matter, any other notable two-way defenseman.

http://www.thehockey...on-the-way.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we were trading Parise for perhaps Lidstrom in his prime, I could see trading Parise being a decent one. Not for some a little above average puck-moving defenseman like Burns. Material is running thin for these guys to write about.

I second that!

here's the point though - if parise is not willing to sign long term over the summer at a reasonable price (5-8 years, cap hit of $7MM - $7.5MM), then he must be dealt.

burns alone is not enough of a return, but if they took rolston also and gave a 1st round pick - so parise/rolston for burns/1st, i'd have to think about it.

ideally, i'd prefer sending him to SJ for setogucci, demers and maybe even nittymaki to back up marty next year. sure that's two nickles for a dime, but that's a decent return if he HAS to be dealt.

I understand that Parise needs to be dealt if not signed long-term. But he's a special talent. Burns, while a big boy who also puts up pretty good offensive numbers, is a big question mark as a shut-down defenseman that he needs to be. His +/- is not good, even for what is essentially an even GF/GA team.

I hate even thinking about Parise going anywhere and I hate that SJ trade even more than getting something done w/ the Wild as shown above. Parise will fetch a good return (stud defenseman or RW) if he has to go because a lot of teams will want the right to lock him up for the long term.

I'm sure Burns would love to come play for the guy (Lemaire) who forced him to play as a grinding forward for part of a season.

Sounds like a match made in heaven.

lemaire is coaching the team next year?

either way, the wild would have to throw in a substantial amount and eat a terrible contract of ours. i think parise, rolston, and corrente for havlat, burns, and a 1st would be a fair deal.

either way, the wild would have to throw in a substantial amount and eat a terrible contract of ours. i think parise, rolston, and corrente for havlat, burns, and a 1st would be a fair deal.

i think the wild really get ripped off here. For skilled forwards that leaves them with Koivu, Bouchard, Parise and Clutterbuck? plus you rid them of their best d.

i think the wild really get ripped off here. For skilled forwards that leaves them with Koivu, Bouchard, Parise and Clutterbuck? plus you rid them of their best d.

it's minnesota's fault that they don't have any skilled forwards, not new jersey's. parise for burns straight up is horrific. ditto burns and a 1st. the deal i am proposing is incumbent on parise signing there long-term - there would be no such provision for NJ and burns.

maybe we would have to take cam barker's contract too

Did he get that from Єklund (2.3% accurate)? Honestly, let's trade a great team guy, fan favorite, 45 goal scorer not even in his prime yet for an injury prone defenseman. Deal! Maybe if the Wild add in like 4 1sts. I still wouldn't do it though, because I love Parise and I don't want me jersey to be garbage :)

No you are.... didn't you get the memo?

At this point I would be surprised if JL didn't have that choice to coach if he wants to.

it's minnesota's fault that they don't have any skilled forwards, not new jersey's. parise for burns straight up is horrific. ditto burns and a 1st. the deal i am proposing is incumbent on parise signing there long-term - there would be no such provision for NJ and burns.

maybe we would have to take cam barker's contract too

I agree that they would have to add, but Havlat? How would we fit Burns AND Havlat in the cap. They'd have to take Rolston and maybe clarkson. I wouldnt be opposed to Parise for Koivu and a 1st

here's the point though - if parise is not willing to sign long term over the summer at a reasonable price (5-8 years, cap hit of $7MM - $7.5MM), then he must be dealt.

burns alone is not enough of a return, but if they took rolston also and gave a 1st round pick - so parise/rolston for burns/1st, i'd have to think about it.

ideally, i'd prefer sending him to SJ for setogucci, demers and maybe even nittymaki to back up marty next year. sure that's two nickles for a dime, but that's a decent return if he HAS to be dealt.

What's the point of dealing Rolston as a negative in a trade if you're dealing Zach? It's not like we'll have cap troubles next year if we're not going to be able to sign Zach long-term anyway and we'll have to keep at least a couple forwards around capable of scoring 20+ goals.