Sign in to follow this  
Triumph

On Why The Devils Will Return To Prominence In The East Next Season

What the heck happened in 2010?

For some reason our power play was ape**** hot in the first half of the season, we might have even been tops in the league or at least in the top five then we went historically bad in the second half of the season (something like 9%)...still didn't drag down our overall number a lot I guess but other than the first half of last season the power play's been bad.

I don't know when the Devils are going to give up the ghost of Kovy on the point during the power play - he's just not a good point. You might as well put Colin White on the point, he'll be about as effective without the screwups.

For some reason our power play was ape**** hot in the first half of the season, we might have even been tops in the league or at least in the top five then we went historically bad in the second half of the season (something like 9%)...still didn't drag down our overall number a lot I guess but other than the first half of last season the power play's been bad.

I don't know when the Devils are going to give up the ghost of Kovy on the point during the power play - he's just not a good point. You might as well put Colin White on the point, he'll be about as effective without the screwups.

kovalchuk has 125 power play goals in his career, and as far as i know, he's always been the point man. the problem is not kovalchuk - although he doesn't help. brian rolston is an atrocious set-up man. i don't know if it's the rest of the devils on the PP, but rolston is way too often trapped with one option on the PP, he makes slow decisions, and his passes are way too often off the mark. how often have you seen rolston try a pass through the box?

shots/60 are way higher with zajac and fayne on the ice. i'd like to see them try zajac at the point again, if they insist on going with 5 forwards.

Don't forget the Devils have a terrible habit of trying to get too cute on the powerplay. Add to that the fact that hardly ever is there anyone screening the goaltender.

Add to that the fact that hardly ever is there anyone screening the goaltender.

Because the one player on this team tailor made for that duty either isn't being coached to do so or he doesn't have the balls to want to take the abuse.

Because the one player on this team tailor made for that duty either isn't being coached to do so or he doesn't have the balls to want to take the abuse.

I think it's more the team doesn't understand the role of the guy in the middle of the box. The guy in the box, listening to quotes early in the year, is supposed to read the play and flip from high slot for 1 timers to going in front for screens and tips. Instead what we see is a guy who just stands in the middle of 4 guys doing almost nothing and making the PP a glorified 4 on 4. I don't know if the disconnect is with the players or coaches but somewhere the message isn't getting through.

Either that or they changed the system after early in the year, because the guy in the box seemed to do a much better job reading the play earlier on in the season than they do the last 40-50 games or so.