Interesting...

devilsrule33

Salomonsson may yet have a good future in Washington.

Much will depend upon which line he plays on.

During his time with the Devils, he failed to impress management.

In 39 games, he managed 4 goals and 5 assists.

For reference, Valeri Kamensky had 4 goals and 8 assists in 9 fewer games.

And Kamensky is no longer with the Devils.

To make matters worse, his +/- was -12, tying him with Mike Commodore for worst on the team.

And Commodore is no longer with the Devils.

If a player can't help offensively and is a defensive liability, then he has no place on the Devils.

When someones picked off waivers doesn't the team lowest in the standings at the time get first chance? If so, someone on another board made a good point. If he was deemed as being so good, wouldn't some lesser team have grabbed him first?

SBT:

In 39 games, he managed 4 goals and 5 assists.

For reference, Valeri Kamensky had 4 goals and 8 assists in 9 fewer games.

And Kamensky is no longer with the Devils.

To make matters worse, his +/- was -12, tying him with Mike Commodore for worst on the team.

And Commodore is no longer with the Devils.

I've never been a big fan of Salo and I agree in that Salo hadn't exactly lit the world on fire with the Devs.

I'm still surprised though that they just gave him away. I guess they figured they needed to call someone up but who are they so desperate to call up and why? I guess we'll find out. I can't imagine it'd be Albelin, otherwise what's Zyuzin doing here? If it was Bergy than why were Salo and Guolla on the team to begin with?

And I also take it his trade value really was nil...what a sad commentary for a first-round pick just last year.

Jeremy Roenick went through the entire entry draft without any team drafting him. Sometimes teams are just wrong or won't take a gamble on some guys.

-Scott

He went through the entry draft twice? I thought he was drafted in the first round by the 'Hawks. Anyways, it's still different w/ the entry draft than this. Lots of unknowns there. This guy is 28 and has played in the NHL, teams should know more.

Here are the issues:

1. Wanted a place for Berglund.

2. Salmon had a one way contract so if they sent him down to play they'd have to pay him $550,000 to play the year in Albany.

3. Too many grinding forwards that cannot finnish.

4. They gave up on him.

Bottom line Salomonsson sucked.

-He had a horrible camp.

-He came in lighter than he was last year. Which is a terrible thing to do especially if you have been most critisized for playing like a pansy.

-He is too old to continue to put much more time and effort into him. It didn't work out nice try it's time to move on.

You're right on Roenick, I'm pretty sure I heard it during some broadcast. I'm probably mixed up and its some other good player that went undrafted, if I figure out who I'm mixing Roenick up with I'll let you know.

-Scott

His teammate Belfour went undrafted I believe. Anyways, the point was, that since he was 28 w/ some expericence, I don't think you can compare it to teams passing someone over in an Entry Draft, who are unexperienced.

Plenty of great players have gone undrafted. Adam Oates, for one. The difference is that Adam Oates was an NHL star by age 25. Brian Rafalski is a complete aberration, going undrafted and becoming one of the NHL's top 50 defensemen in 3 years.

Nothing from Salomonsson's numbers indicated he could be a star. From Larry Robinson's usage of him, I can't help but think they wanted him to replace Nemchinov. But he had a bad camp where two players jumped over him to earn roster spots. They could just send Berglund down, but Salomonsson has little to learn from the minors.

msweet basically has it. Guolla had stolen Salomonsson's role, not only is Guolla faster (I think, not sure), but he's more adapted to the NHL game, can play 2 of 3 forward positions, is not on a one-way contract, and is capable of filling in on any line.

I guess it sounds as if Lou just wanted to open a spot for Berglund and free up a little payroll at the same time? If that was the case, though then why not just try to send Salo down at the start of the season? Why let him sit on the bench for two games? I suppose they wanted Bergy to take Turner's spot in the lineup, though.