Devils, angels, hearts, and minds

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

NEWARK, N.J. -- In the right light, it is possible to ascend into a state of grace in Newark. A kind of secular exaltation. This is game time at the Prudential Center and the Devils are about to succumb to Fate. So you look out from the atrium, look long out past the fans moving in slow silhouette against those immense windows, out to a ballooning sunset that fires the clouds and the sky and the Eastern horizon and you make your peace with things. This is it. Tonight, for the first time in 15 seasons, it becomes official: The Devils will miss the playoffs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=macgregor/110404

I didn't care for this column at all, to be more specific, I thought it was horrible. But maybe someone here will like it.

Anyone care to expand on their thoughts, or is "it sucks" the best you can do?

I liked it. I thought it was a good piece of writing, even if you don't agree with his take on the season. It was a riveting narrative, an entertaining example of storytelling.

Anyone care to expand on their thoughts, or is "it sucks" the best you can do?

I liked it. I thought it was a good piece of writing, even if you don't agree with his take on the season. It was a riveting narrative, an entertaining example of storytelling.

It was weak. I was never interested.

Although it was clearly a lovingly crafted heart-warming introspection, humanizing the machismo of the modern day hockey fan

(i.e. cliche)

And because this post is too low on word count for me a favorite Woody Allen scene of mine (from Love and Death):

Woman hygiene class: Goodbye. I hope you had a good time.

Soldier: I did. I had a good time. Oh, what's this sore on my lip? I better see the doctor.

[He steps to his right and another actor stands up]

Soldier: Doc, I have this sore on my lip.

Doctor: You have a social disease my friend.

Soldier: Oh my God!

Doctor: If you do not treat it, you will go blind... Or insane!

[Applause]

Gen. Lecoq: Well men, that is the end of the play. Have a good time on your furlough and take care of yourselves.

Soldier: Well, what did you think of the play?

Boris: Oh, it was weak. I was never interested. Although the part of the doctor was played with gusto and verve and the girl had a delightful cameo role. A puckish satire of contemporary mores. A droll spoof aimed more at the heart than the head.

Soldier: As for me I'm planning to spend the next three days in a brothel. Care to come with me?

Boris: No, I went to a brothel once in my life. I got hiccups you know, it was over like that.

Edited by Pepperkorn

It was weak. I was never interested.

Although it was clearly a lovingly crafted heart-warming introspection, humanizing the machismo of the modern day hockey fan

(i.e. cliche)

And because this post is too low on word count for me a favorite Woody Allen scene of mine (from Love and Death):

Woman hygiene class: Goodbye. I hope you had a good time.

Soldier: I did. I had a good time. Oh, what's this sore on my lip? I better see the doctor.

[He steps to his right and another actor stands up]

Soldier: Doc, I have this sore on my lip.

Doctor: You have a social disease my friend.

Soldier: Oh my God!

Doctor: If you do not treat it, you will go blind... Or insane!

[Applause]

Gen. Lecoq: Well men, that is the end of the play. Have a good time on your furlough and take care of yourselves.

Soldier: Well, what did you think of the play?

Boris: Oh, it was weak. I was never interested. Although the part of the doctor was played with gusto and verve and the girl had a delightful cameo role. A puckish satire of contemporary mores. A droll spoof aimed more at the heart than the head.

Soldier: As for me I'm planning to spend the next three days in a brothel. Care to come with me?

Boris: No, I went to a brothel once in my life. I got hiccups you know, it was over like that.

Love and Death reference on the site! Yes! Go Pepperkorn!!!!!

Hahahaaha. I was just thinking how rusty my banter is getting. My retorts here aren't even remotely clever anymore. Not like they EVER were but ... the cleverness on the board is dissipating. No one can appreciate the cleverness of "I know you are but what am I?" here even :saddevil:

I was relieved it was a relatively pro-devils article, but it was sooo melodramatic it almost was a struggle reading it.

A sports article is not and shouldnt be a creative writing piece

I don't see why there isn't room for both. Sports writers can be excellent creative writers as well, especially considering how much time they spend around the sport they cover. While this one may not have been the best example, I think it's still pretty good.

I think it was a perfectly fine article, that maybe goes a little overboard with the dramatization early and late in the article. It certainly doesn't portray the Devils or the fan base in a negative light, which is what so many on this board bitch about anyway. But I guess no piece of writing will ever satisfy everyone, especially amongst our fan base.

Meh, I'm siding with Rowdy on this one. While I do think the piece was a little overblown in the use of language, I appreciate the authors attempt to do something different with the "end of season" article. Making the focus on the scene at the Rock and not regurgitating stats and numbers was actually kinda refreshing. While he could've told the story better, it was nice to see something different.