Federal spending: $1572.41 billion

Federal debt: $5207.3 billion

Median Household Income

(current dollars): $35,492

Consumer Price Index: 156.9

Unemployment: 5.4%

Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.32

Super Bowl

Dallas d. Pittsburgh (27-17)(high fives Crasher)

World Series

New York Yankees d. Atlanta Braves (4-2)

NBA Championship

Chicago d. Seattle (4-2)

Stanley Cup

Colorado d. Florida (4-0)

Wimbledon

Women: Steffi Graf d. A.S. Vicario (6-3 7-5)

Men: Richard Krajicek d. M. Washington (6-3 6-4 6-3)

Kentucky Derby Champion: Grindstone

NCAA Basketball Championship Kentucky d. Syracuse (76-67)

NCAA Football Champions Florida (12-1)

Record of the Year: "Kiss From a Rose," Seal

Album of the Year: Jagged Little Pill, Alanis Morissette (Maverick/Reprise)

Song of the Year: "Kiss From a Rose," Seal, songwriter

Best (book):

Fiction: Independence Day, Richard Ford

Music: Lilacs, George Walker

Drama: Rent, Jonathan Larson

Edited by Martyisth3b3st

See so that's not so bad - not too long ago and the Devils snapped back just fine - those still fall under the Dynasty years.

I was a junior in high school the last time we missed the playoffs. I'm 32 years old now. Its been a while, that's for sure.

It was much harder to deal with last time this happened. I was 10, we had just won the cup the year before, and all we had to do was win the last game of the season to make it in but we lost. That loss was devastating and the only thing that made me feel better was eventually watching the Flyers get swept by the Wings in the finals.

This time I went a whole half a season span expecting to miss. Even though our hopes got raised with the second half surge, losing to the Caps on retro night and a few other big games right around then at least let me down softly and proudly. It's always the worst when you get eliminated with a shock and with no time to mentally prepare i.e. 2009 vs. the Canes, 2001 vs. Avs, 1994 vs. Rags, and the above mentioned final regular season game of 1996. The best thing for us Devils fans is that we had 3 Stanley Cups scattered in there amongst the painful endings so it's all worth it!

It was much harder to deal with last time this happened. I was 10, we had just won the cup the year before, and all we had to do was win the last game of the season to make it in but we lost. That loss was devastating and the only thing that made me feel better was eventually watching the Flyers get swept by the Wings in the finals.

This time I went a whole half a season span expecting to miss. Even though our hopes got raised with the second half surge, losing to the Caps on retro night and a few other big games right around then at least let me down softly and proudly. It's always the worst when you get eliminated with a shock and with no time to mentally prepare i.e. 2009 vs. the Canes, 2001 vs. Avs, 1994 vs. Rags, and the above mentioned final regular season game of 1996. The best thing for us Devils fans is that we had 3 Stanley Cups scattered in there amongst the painful endings so it's all worth it!

As great as that was, it was a year later in '97. Colorado beat Florida in the '96 Finals.

True and before each cup the Devils have gone through some pretty deep lows.

95 came after having a so-so season and the playoffs the previous spring where the Rags beat us in game 7 of the ECF

2000 Came after missing the playoffs in 96, losing to the Rags in the 2nd round in 97 and then two straight years of exiting in the first round

2003 came after losing in the finals to colorado, then having the up and down season of 2001-02 where we lost in the first round in 5 games to carolina, traded popular players McKay and Arnott, and then in the offseason traded Sykora. We got players in return who helped forge our victory in 2003

My point is that when we have our lows, this team quickly rebuilds and brings us great highs again. Plus we will have a decent draft pick this year to help us on our quest.

True and before each cup the Devils have gone through some pretty deep lows.

95 came after having a so-so season and the playoffs the previous spring where the Rags beat us in game 7 of the ECF

2000 Came after missing the playoffs in 96, losing to the Rags in the 2nd round in 97 and then two straight years of exiting in the first round

2003 came after losing in the finals to colorado, then having the up and down season of 2001-02 where we lost in the first round in 5 games to carolina, traded popular players McKay and Arnott, and then in the offseason traded Sykora. We got players in return who helped forge our victory in 2003

My point is that when we have our lows, this team quickly rebuilds and brings us great highs again. Plus we will have a decent draft pick this year to help us on our quest.

I hope another big-time high is on the way, because we've had nothing but low after low since the lockout. Especially since we moved to the Rock.

Crazy. I was four. It's easy to say you'll be a fan through thick and thin, but this is the first time the sub 25 generation really had to deal with it. I feared maybe it wouldn't be as exciting and the love for the team would die, but that could not be any farther from the truth.

Crazy. I was four. It's easy to say you'll be a fan through thick and thin, but this is the first time the sub 25 generation really had to deal with it. I feared maybe it wouldn't be as exciting and the love for the team would die, but that could not be any farther from the truth.

its weird i am 20 and i cant remember a time when the devils missed the playoffs...

You got sucked in during the fun years -- but I feel like all you've had to watch since you were 11 is crap "also ran" teams who can only win in the regular season -- which is pretty much useless.

...unless you're HISTORICALLY bad! YEAH!! GO 2011!! :boogie:

This, to my way of thinking, is the end of an era of serviceable hockey - maybe now the team can get back to playing hockey, instead of dickering around some bogus "new NHL"

This, to my way of thinking, is the end of an era of serviceable hockey - maybe now the team can get back to playing hockey, instead of dickering around some bogus "new NHL"

hahahahaha ... lou is still in charge

joke's on you ....

I was a junior in high school the last time we missed the playoffs. I'm 32 years old now. Its been a while, that's for sure.

Wow yea that really puts it into perspective haha. I graduated from college over a year ago, and the last time we missed the playoffs I was in third grade.