Lemaire: 30 goals not enough for Kovalchuk

Rock

Jacques Lemaire: 30 goals not enough for Devils' Ilya Kovalchuk

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/04/jacques_lemaire_30_goals_not_e.html

“Definitely. He’s at least a 40-goal scorer,” Lemaire said. “I think he started very slow. That’s why he only has 30 at this time.

“I thought he played better today. I don’t think it’s a secret that prior to tonight, the last 2-3 games, he didn’t play well at all.”

Who didn't start slow? What pace has he set for the "2nd" half of the season? That would be a better indicator of where he is at, and even then they weren't scoring a whole lot as a team. Next season I do expect better than the 2nd half through the Entire season, which they are more than capable of doing.

Kovy has really learned to play much better defensively and that alone is a huge accomplishment for the short period of time he played under JL this season. This is a HUGE plus for him, and he can be a huge offensive threat whenever he is on the ice as well.

When this mess of a season is over, I want to see a first half/second half statistical comparison across the board for team and individual stats, as well as the second half projected out to a full season.

Kovalchuk has scored what, 20 in 39 games now? If he can continue to play D and regularly score 40+ with the NJ Devils of all teams, he's earning his keep.

When this mess of a season is over, I want to see a first half/second half statistical comparison across the board for team and individual stats, as well as the second half projected out to a full season.

Kovalchuk has scored what, 20 in 39 games now? If he can continue to play D and regularly score 40+ with the NJ Devils of all teams, he's earning his keep.

post all star game kovalchuk has 16 goals in 31 games. he still needs to get more shots - he should be around 3.5 a game, maybe even 4. he's at 3 now.

But you'd agree that if he continues to play as he has post-JM, post-ASG, that the Devils got their money's worth.

No, but I'd say they're getting what they paid for, which are two different things. If he could play half his games like he did last night, then I'd think they got their money's worth.

Fair enough. Though I still love his cap hit way better than I love Rolston's, Brodeur's or, gods love 'im, Patrik Elias's.

I think when a real RW, a matured Tedenby, a future draftee or FA signing is eventually paired with Kovalchuk, you're going to see a Mogilny-like resurgence of the Devils' offense.

Fair enough. Though I still love his cap hit way better than I love Rolston's, Brodeur's or, gods love 'im, Patrik Elias's.

I think when a real RW, a matured Tedenby, a future draftee or FA signing is eventually paired with Kovalchuk, you're going to see a Mogilny-like resurgence of the Devils' offense.

Elias was probably twice as valuable a player as Kovalchuk this season.

I doubt we'll ever see anything like that 2001 team again. In addition to being an excellent offensive team, that team was also really lucky. They were still last in the NHL in penalties drawn. It is just really difficult to have an above-average offense when you can't draw penalties. Tedenby might be an elite penalty drawer - we'll have to see how he is going forward.