GDT: Devils @ Rangers

Joonas #6

The hardest thing to do as a fanbase is to understand when your heroes aren't what they used to be.

It happens in every sport. Aging heroes who were dominant, clutch performers and winners age and slow down. It's inevitable. There are glimpses in that time where flashes of the "prime" career show and as fans you think "wow, it's still there..". Brodeur is right there now. The problem is, the type of goals he's been victimized with his whole career are now magnified because he does not have the team in front of him to make up for mistakes. Brodeur is also an easy goaltender to see if he's on his game, by goals he gives up, too. He's been that way since his rookie year. If he flops, dives, flails and plops he's tired and off. If he's straight up, playing an angle, letting the puck hit him and making the shooters shoot first, he's on his game.

Besides, the game is different, too. There's a ton of tip-in, deflections and garbage goals today then in the past. Players now shoot the puck harder with technology of sticks. It's tough for a goaltender 10 years younger then Brodeur.

What Brodeur did in the past is in the past. The fact of the matter is he is what he is right now. Some fans can accept it and understand he's a Devil for life even if he lost every night and there's nothing going to change, yet. Some fans will be in denial and think the Brodeur of multiple Cups and Vezinas is still in the crease and yet, some fans will continue to bring up the past of Glory and try to justify the present with it and protect their hero and legend.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The hardest thing to do as a fanbase is to understand when your heroes aren't what they used to be.

It happens in every sport. Aging heroes who were dominant, clutch performers and winners age and slow down. It's inevitable. There are glimpses in that time where flashes of the "prime" career show and as fans you think "wow, it's still there..". Brodeur is right there now. The problem is, the type of goals he's been victimized with his whole career are now magnified because he does not have the team in front of him to make up for mistakes. Brodeur is also an easy goaltender to see if he's on his game, by goals he gives up, too. He's been that way since his rookie year. If he flops, dives, flails and plops he's tired and off. If he's straight up, playing an angle, letting the puck hit him and making the shooters shoot first, he's on his game.

Besides, the game is different, too. There's a ton of tip-in, deflections and garbage goals today then in the past. Players now shoot the puck harder with technology of sticks. It's tough for a goaltender 10 years younger then Brodeur.

What Brodeur did in the past is in the past. The fact of the matter is he is what he is right now. Some fans can accept it and understand he's a Devil for life even if he lost every night and there's nothing going to change, yet. Some fans will be in denial and think the Brodeur of multiple Cups and Vezinas is still in the crease and yet, some fans will continue to bring up the past of Glory and try to justify the present with it and protect their hero and legend.

Exactly. Couldn't have put it any better. Some people are still living ten years ago and you cannot do that. Every year 2003 gets further away and the fact is Marty is not going to play like he did years ago. He is plain old and slow and should retire. I appreciate what he did in the part but if you live in the past, then you are just like those ranger fans who always bring up 94.

Funny how easily some "fans" on here turn on our players because of one game.

Perhaps this fan base is still spoiled, even after this season.

I have said more than once before that Marty should retire. He hasn't won a meaningful game in years.

Good post, although I will add that a lot of people are more inspired to defend Marty based on some of the absurd posts people here make, completely throwing him under the bus and even mocking him. Obviously he's not the same goalie he was 10 years ago but there's no excuse for our own fans to take cheap shots at him by constantly bringing that up and going on and on about how he's a choke artist and this and that. I'm not going to defend him by saying he's the goalie he once was, or by saying that the loss wasn't his fault at all. I just defend him by saying show a little respect to probably the best Devil of all time. What kind of fan are you if you turn on the guy like this just because he's getting older?

Yeah, Marty hasn't won too many big games in the past few years... But who did? Lots of people jerk off to Lundqvist. What did he win in the NHL? He hasn't won a sh!t. Luongo? Same thing. There are tons of goalies who are one/two-year wonders, carrying their teams on their backs just to disappear next year. You just gotta be lucky.

Marty at least has been able to be competitive during the regular season. Obviously this year has been tough for everyone, including him. And yet he still ended up with 6 shutouts - quite impressive. I'm not going to prove to anybody he is the Marty of 2003. Because he clearly isn't. But he isn't as bad as a lot of you try to make him look.

Good post, although I will add that a lot of people are more inspired to defend Marty based on some of the absurd posts people here make, completely throwing him under the bus and even mocking him. Obviously he's not the same goalie he was 10 years ago but there's no excuse for our own fans to take cheap shots at him by constantly bringing that up and going on and on about how he's a choke artist and this and that. I'm not going to defend him by saying he's the goalie he once was, or by saying that the loss wasn't his fault at all. I just defend him by saying show a little respect to probably the best Devil of all time. What kind of fan are you if you turn on the guy like this just because he's getting older?

Exactly. Accepting that he isn't as good as he used to be is one thing and we should all do that. But throwing sh!t at him because of it (especially if you used to cheer him during the good times) makes you an ascclown who has no right to call himself a real fan.

Edited by Revan

Exactly. Couldn't have put it any better. Some people are still living ten years ago and you cannot do that. Every year 2003 gets further away and the fact is Marty is not going to play like he did years ago. He is plain old and slow and should retire. I appreciate what he did in the part but if you live in the past, then you are just like those ranger fans who always bring up 94.

I have said more than once before that Marty should retire. He hasn't won a meaningful game in years.

I still cannot take anything you say seriously. I agree brodeur's well past his prime, but to call for his retirement? It's the lack of respect in your tone that upsets me and probably others.

You can convey your unhappiness with a player without mocking him.

So what are we? At least they showed some guts & played like it mattered.

They had a bad game and we're out of contention. What are we? Perennially near the top of the division/conference. This is the first time since 1989 that we've been out of contention before the last game of the season.

I can't crucify this team for playing a crappy game at the end of the season when nothing matters.

postgame question: "What do you think of Marty's goaltending today?"

Lemaire: "I thought it was fine. It was fine."

OK, nothing more to laugh at. We all know that if Lemaire returns next year (which he likely will):

1. he'll continue to play Marty like he was 22 and our backup will basically be collecting dust.

2. we'll struggle on the PP

3. our offense will continue to sputter.

IamtheProdiigy-

Great points. There is a huge gap between realizing that Marty is no longer in his prime and isn't the goalie he used to be, and insulting

and taking cheap shots. He has earned Devils fans respect and should be treated as the legend he is.

However, one of the reasons I hope Lemaire doesn't return is because he, like many here, doesn't seem to realize that it is time to move on, and Marty's role needs to be reduced.

They had a bad game and we're out of contention. What are we? Perennially near the top of the division/conference. This is the first time since 1989 that we've been out of contention before the last game of the season.

I can't crucify this team for playing a crappy game at the end of the season when nothing matters.

This game obviously meant a lot more to some fans than to the players. Which I can't really blame them for.

This game obviously meant a lot more to some fans than to the players. Which I can't really blame them for.

Forget about the fans. Playing your closest rival and not going in from player 1-20 with the mindset of "we're going home, so are they" is unacceptable. It says alot about a team. It's hard to match the instensity of desparation of the Rangers, but that does not mean you show up for a period and then play out the game. Having your goaltender stop a few softies helps too.

Kovalchuk showed me alot today.

The Marty hate here is absurd. I was at a game last year at the garden where Marty shutout the Rangers and that game actually meant something because we were in the playoff hunt. I was also at a game 7 in 2003 where Brodeur had a pretty important shutout to secure this teams last cup. My point? He's not going to give us a shutout every game and he will have bad games sprinkled in there. To turn around and blame this all on Marty (and Lemaire apparently for starting him)is embarrassing.

Marty hate is a little strong imo. He had an ok game. Made some good saves, but Drury's goal softie. Prust goal (too far into the net) why beat a dead horse. We were embarressed. Zajac/Kovy/Teddy Clarkson's line) were the only ones that gave a sh>t. I'm guess I;'m blind, but I don't see any Henrik Zetterberg in Josefson. Did he win any faceoffs? Show me SOMETHING!

The Marty hate here is absurd. I was at a game last year at the garden where Marty shutout the Rangers and that game actually meant something because we were in the playoff hunt. I was also at a game 7 in 2003 where Brodeur had a pretty important shutout to secure this teams last cup. My point? He's not going to give us a shutout every game and he will have bad games sprinkled in there. To turn around and blame this all on Marty (and Lemaire apparently for starting him)is embarrassing.

Shhh, none of those games where marty played well matter. Clearly, he sucks. :doh1:

I was at the game, and well some players I did not even notice in the game. I noticed Tedenby, Clarkson, Kovy, and Zharky....and Marty. He made plenty of great saves, but leaving a rag with the puck in the slot 10 feet (or less) from the net to take shots is just not giving him a chance.

There were some devils fans behind me that were very loud, and rather obnoxious (and DRUNK) through out the game. LOL rags fans wanted to fight them even from 2 sections away.

Edited by Dead

However, one of the reasons I hope Lemaire doesn't return is because he, like many here, doesn't seem to realize that it is time to move on, and Marty's role needs to be reduced.

i don't buy this at all. hedberg got plenty of time. he went with the hot hand.

depending on who the goaltender is next year, i think you see marty play 55-60 games. marty's age has clearly changed the way he's played (goes down early and stays there - flops a little more, etc). but he's still plenty good and plays well more often than not. today he was not good. my knock on him (and has been for a while) has been that he's not a good game manager - that is, he doesn't change his game depending on game situations when it comes to decisions to play the puck and attempt to direct rebounds instead of eating the play.

Edited by sundstrom

i don't buy this at all. hedberg got plenty of time. he went with the hot hand.

depending on who the goaltender is next year, i think you see marty play 55-60 games. marty's age has clearly changed the way he's played (goes down early and stays there - flops a little more, etc). but he's still plenty good and plays well more often than not. today he was not good. my knock on him (and has been for a while) has been that he's not a good game manager - that is, he doesn't change his game depending on game situations when it comes to decisions to play the puck and attempt to direct rebounds instead of eating the play.

That's a decent point. His puck playing is often criticized and though I usually think the positives outweigh the negatives more times than not there are times when he seems to play the puck just for the sake of playing it. He makes high-risk, low-reward types of plays after catching the puck and throwing it to a bewildered/tired defenseman, who then, if we're lucky, is able to dump it out, at best. Might as well cover it most of these times.