Quarterfinal Playoff Predictions

Par9

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=558971

No doubt some fun matchups.

1) Washington Capitals vs. 8) New York Rangers

The season series was won by the Rangers and the last two victories have been blowouts. The Rangers have the likes of Queen Henrik in the crease but are without Callahan. The Capitals are the team that will determine the series. If they play like their capable they will win or will they retreat back to old playoff play. A key sticking point is how the Capitals play as a team and their defense. Final prediction: Washington actually shows up in these playoffs but with difficulty.

Capitals in 6 or 7

2)Filthy Flyers vs. 7) Buffalo Sabres

The Flyers have been stumbling around lately and Pronger is still a question. Buffalo has been red hot and how that decent goalie Ryan Miller. Is this the year Philly has a legit goalie?

Final prediction: There is no questioning the Flyers depth in the end.

Flyers in 5 or 6

3) Boston Bruins vs. 6) Montreal Canadians

A heated rivalry should just get more intense in this series. No one can doubt Montreal's heart they showed against the Caps last year and the outstanding work they had in goal with Halak, but they have Price now. Boston has won the last two meetings. Key sticking point in this series will be Thomas vs. Price. Final prediction: Hard fought series that goes back and forth.

Goes to a game 7

4) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. 5) Tampa Bay Lightning

No Malkin. Possibly no Crosby. The Pens have showed they can still win but the Lightning are high flying and can light teams up. Will the hardwork and experience of the Pens will over or the experience of St. Louis and Vinny win over. Final Prediction: Tampa doesn't show up some games and it costs them.

Penguins in 5

Capitals in 6 - Rangers put up a fight but are overpowered in the end. No Callahan hurts. Gaborik not a big enough factor.

Flyers in 7 - Have been a weird team lately and will get blown out in at least one game in the series but ultimately their line-up is too stacked to lose to Buffalo.

Bruins in 5 - I know it's a big rivalry but I just can't see Montreal winning this one. They are too overmatched physically and Boston has the better depth all around.

Penguins in 6 - Tampa has firepower but Pitt is too smart and tough to play against. They will come out on top.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

Capitals in 5

Bruins in 6

Penguins in 6

Flyers in 6

Also isn't it weird that Detroit ended hockey in Winnipeg by eliminated the Jets back in the Spring of 1996...and now it looks like they're going to send the Coyotes back to Winnipeg by defeating them in the first round out West (wings in 5)

1/8) Capitals in 6

Slight stumble out of the gate, but they have really shown commitment to playing playoff hockey this year and I think it is going to well served this year in a long run.

2/7) Buffalo in 7

It's going to take a lot to overcome the amount of pure talent depth that the flyers have, but I think Buffalo has been playing great hockey and that will take them into the next round. I even think this could have the makings of a rematch of the 05/06 season that these two played each other (the year we swept the Rangers) where Buffalo destroyed the flyers if Pronger doesn't come back and they start Bobrovsky

3/6) Montreal in 7

I think Carey Price is going to play out of his mind to try to erase any memory of Halak.

4/5) Tampa Bay in 6

I think that this team is really gonna surprise people. I don't think there is any better spark plug in all of hockey than St. Louis. You have Lecavlier and Gagne who are both proven playoff performers. Add that to Stamkos and role players like Purcell and Downey as well as a very underrated Defense and, IMO, one of the best coaches in the league running the bench and you have a team that can really do some damage. Unfortunatly, I don't think they can take it much further than one round because of Roloson but that remains to be seen I suppose.

I think this is gonna be the season of upsets.

Washington/New York - I don't like it, but Rangers in 6

Philadelphia/Buffalo - Sabres in 7

Boston/Montreal - Habs in 6

Penguins/Lightning - Penguins in 5

Vancouver/Chicago - Canucks in 6, though a series loss to the Hawks by the Canucks wouldn't shock me either

San Jose/Los Angeles - Sharks in 5

Detroit/Phoenix - I'd really like to see the Coyotes take it, but Red Wings in 6

Anaheim/Nashville - Predators in 5, they're also my dark horse Cup contenders.

Man, this sucks, predicting all eight series and not abstaining from predicting the Devils' series. :(

Rangers in 6: The Capitals choke

Bruins in 5: Habs fail to put the puck past Thomas, and cant withstand the Bruins physical punishment.

Flyers in 6: Buffalo doesn't have enough to offer up front.

Tampa in 7: Lightning outwork the Pens.

I don't feel like predicting all the series, but I can see the Rangers sending the Caps home. A team that has pulled together to make the playoffs, plus has a class goaltender, can be a dangerous team. I think the Rangers will wear the underdog hat well and at least scare the living daylights out of Caps fans.

Caps vs Rangers: Rangers in 6

Flyers vs Sabres: Sabres in 7

Bruins vs Canadiens: Bruins in 5

Penguins vs Lightning: Lightning in 6

Canucks vs Blackhawks: Canucks in 4

Sharks vs Kings: Kings in 6

Red Wings vs Coyotes: Red Wings in 5

Ducks vs Predators: Predators in 6

I hate to say this, but I think the Rangers have a legit chance at upsetting the Caps. But Ovechkin to me has the drive to make sure last year doesn't happen again. But it's weird that a team was involved in 2 consecutive 3-1 comebacks. I don't think they wanna be in that position again even though they were the ones who came out on top in 09. I think they wanna put the Rags out quicker than slower.