The Devils next head coach will be...

'7'

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Michael Russo, Todd Richards was just fired in Minnesota. Not saying I want or don't want him, just pointing out another coach on the market.

This is a guy I've been interested in learning more about. I caught most of the Minnesota-Dallas game yesterday, and I also remember reading about the nuances of his system when he first replaced Lemaire. At the start, the Wild did not fare well under Richards that season - but it was mostly because they were so accustomed to Lemaire's approach and style that they had trouble adapting. As that season progressed, though, they played better but still had some ups-and-downs.

Through November: 11-14-2

December - January: 17-12-1

February - April: 11-13-4

So weak start, strong mid-point, weak finish. Now in addition to the new style - initially touted as much more aggressive on the forecheck, big on puck possession, fast-paced - the Wild were adapting to life with Martin Havlat and without Marian Gaborik...and Havlat was downright brutal in the first half of the season. And the defensemen had serious issues learning the new style, as evidenced by Nicklas Backstrom's mediocre year and statistics. Oh, yeah, and terrible at generating offensive chances.

Interesting article from CopperNBlue about Richards vs. Lemaire with the Wild, sorta. Not a great endorsement of Richards' approach - saying that he's improperly utilized Mikko Koivu and has created a listless team without an identity.

That being said, I think the Devils have some players who would be better suited to the style of coaching endorsed by Richards, at least compared to the Wild.

Blog post here on First Round Bust on March 26 that takes a similar tone, basically saying it's tough to fault Richards for the hopeless play of some key members - most notably Backstrom - total inability to create offensive chances, and untimely injuries, and that the Wild should hang onto him. Well so much for that.

So...just putting some stuff out there. Personally, I want to read up more about him and make sure he wouldn't be the second-coming of Johnny Mac. Similarities between trying a new style very different from the fundamental core values of the team's approach for so many years...players seeming lost and disinterested...devastating injuries.... But is that caused by bad luck, or difficulty conveying the priorities of the system?

So I dunno. But hey, trying to read up.

Is the pressure on Lou to try to get someone quick? There are already 3 other teams looking for a new coach and I'm guessing there will be more soon.

I'm assuming this won't have an affect on signing Zach but there is more to do now. I guess Lou does have plenty of time he's not used to having at this point in the year.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Iknow for a FACT (caps for emphasis) that Haviland was offered the NJ job 2 years ago, pending Lemaire's decision, butJacques took it.

Last year MH was not offered the job at all even though I naturally assumed the Devs were waiting for the B'Hawks to finish to get an offer....but it never happened.

This year I have no clue, but I'll find out maybe.

Iknow for a FACT (caps for emphasis) that Haviland was offered the NJ job 2 years ago, pending Lemaire's decision, butJacques took it.

Last year MH was not offered the job at all even though I naturally assumed the Devs were waiting for the B'Hawks to finish to get an offer....but it never happened.

I'm really hoping for Peter DeBoer. I think he fits all of the criteria we're (at least us fans) are looking for. Young, coaches an up-tempo type of style, good with young players, and has the potential to be around for a while.

If the Caps were to lose in the first round, I wonder if Bruce Boudreau would be suddenly looking for a job. I know he was rumored to be close to losing his job a couple times this season.

You have to figure if Washington doesn't get results this year in the playoffs he is likely to be out.

Hitchcock seems a likely possibility, but I think Haviland is almost a perfect fit for us. Its just the whole rookie coach thing again. At the end of the day, who knows what Lou will do. Id not even be surprised if he hired Carbonneau.

This is old, but yea, he wanted it last year.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/06/blackhawks_assistant_mike_havi.html

the only holdup would be if they were looking at haviland or a coach that's in the playoffs. there's nothing that says you can't announce one sooner.

There's no coach in the playoffs that would be realistically available that I'd be interested in. Babcock, Boucher, Laviolette, Tortorella, Trotz- none of these guys are getting fired. Maybe Boudreau if the Caps choke again, but that's it. Peter DeBoer is the guy we should probably hire, and if we want him, Lou can't sit around with his thumb up his ass for 2 months taking his time like he usually does, because Ottawa WILL hire him if we don't.

Edited by MadDog2020

Ok, let's end this now: if you think Lou is going to hire another first year NHL head coach, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you for $5. Its not happening.

Okay, SatansDevils. :giggle:

The difference between MacLean and Haviland is that MacLean had existing relationships with most of the players as a result of having been the assistant coach for a few seasons and a player with many of the vets beforehand. Because of that, he couldn't establish any credibility as the main authority figure. Haviland, as an outsider to the organization, theoretically shouldn't have that problem; as a result, it should be easier for him to lay down the law.

Okay, SatansDevils. :giggle:

The difference between MacLean and Haviland is that MacLean had existing relationships with most of the players as a result of having been the assistant coach for a few seasons and a player with many of the vets beforehand. Because of that, he couldn't establish any credibility as the main authority figure. Haviland, as an outsider to the organization, theoretically shouldn't have that problem; as a result, it should be easier for him to lay down the law.

Perhaps- that's not too crazy to think. I still think Lou goes with someone with NHL experience as a head coach this time around though.

Edited by MadDog2020

Well he was not offered the job according to tg "The job was open each of the last two summers and Lamoriello never even gave Haviland a phone call either time

I thought the guy deserved a chance both times, but I don’t know of that ship has sailed now."

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_players_want_next_head_coach_to_carry_on_lemaires_philosophy/P25/

Well he was not offered the job according to tg "The job was open each of the last two summers and Lamoriello never even gave Haviland a phone call either time

I thought the guy deserved a chance both times, but I don’t know of that ship has sailed now."

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_players_want_next_head_coach_to_carry_on_lemaires_philosophy/P25/

I can't find that part you linked to.

TG is wrong on this one...........I do not personally know him, so I wasn't told by him obviously, but again, I do know for a fact he was offered it 2 years ago. I know two people extremely close to him, but that's all I'm saying. (Can't say who, that wouldn't be nice)

I'm sure the Devs organization can't say they did, I guess.

Much as the Devils have struggled with coaches, hiring a coach isn't rocket science. IMHO there are 4 coaches in the whole league who consistently make their teams better: Babcock, Bylsma, McLellan and Tippett, and even in that group, 2 guys have never made the finals, and McLellan's Sharks choked badly 2 years ago. The rest of the coaches are mediocre. They might catch lightning in a bottle, or sustain respectability, but none of them are consistent difference makers. Occasionally you get disasters like Johnny Mac, but most coaches are something like Sutter -- some good qualities, some bad ones, and eventually begin to wear out their welcome (though leaving mid contract to coach for your brother is low). Even JL left on a bad note a year ago, and didn't really start to succeed this year until we traded Langenbrunner. I don't see us getting a difference maker, so all we need to do is get a coach who has no preexisting beef with the vets, has nothing against Jersey, and is either not set in his system, or has a system that's somewhat compatible with these players defense matters, try to establish a forecheck, fixing the pp would be nice). We're not gonna catch lightning in a bottle, so we need to get someone respectable (not Johnny Mac) and young and dedicated to head coaching (not JL, or especially Larry Robinson) and give him a chance to succeed. With some of the problem vets gone, that gets a lot easier than it was when Julien was the coach. An unspectacular coach should be able to win with this roster, now that Lemaire has them flying in the right direction. Hope Parise's healthy and signs long term, sign a right winger when some of the bad contracts expire, work the kids in on the blueline (easier with Stevens, Robinson, and maybe Lemaire in the organization), and sit back and watch. This isn't Phoenix -- we have a good core and the best GM in the game when it comes to evaluating player talent, Rolston contract notwithstanding. We don't need to catch lightning in a bottle.

Much as the Devils have struggled with coaches, hiring a coach isn't rocket science. IMHO there are 4 coaches in the whole league who consistently make their teams better: Babcock, Bylsma, McLellan and Tippett, and even in that group, 2 guys have never made the finals, and McLellan's Sharks choked badly 2 years ago. The rest of the coaches are mediocre. They might catch lightning in a bottle, or sustain respectability, but none of them are consistent difference makers. Occasionally you get disasters like Johnny Mac, but most coaches are something like Sutter -- some good qualities, some bad ones, and eventually begin to wear out their welcome (though leaving mid contract to coach for your brother is low). Even JL left on a bad note a year ago, and didn't really start to succeed this year until we traded Langenbrunner. I don't see us getting a difference maker, so all we need to do is get a coach who has no preexisting beef with the vets, has nothing against Jersey, and is either not set in his system, or has a system that's somewhat compatible with these players defense matters, try to establish a forecheck, fixing the pp would be nice). We're not gonna catch lightning in a bottle, so we need to get someone respectable (not Johnny Mac) and young and dedicated to head coaching (not JL, or especially Larry Robinson) and give him a chance to succeed. With some of the problem vets gone, that gets a lot easier than it was when Julien was the coach. An unspectacular coach should be able to win with this roster, now that Lemaire has them flying in the right direction. Hope Parise's healthy and signs long term, sign a right winger when some of the bad contracts expire, work the kids in on the blueline (easier with Stevens, Robinson, and maybe Lemaire in the organization), and sit back and watch. This isn't Phoenix -- we have a good core and the best GM in the game when it comes to evaluating player talent, Rolston contract notwithstanding. We don't need to catch lightning in a bottle.

WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg