Donald Brashear To Become MMA Fighter

Quinn01

From MMADieHards.com:

Former NHL tough guy Donald Brashear is taking his game to MMA after officially signing with the Canadian-based Ringside promotion, MMADieHards.com has learned.

At this time, it remains to be seen whether or not the commission (Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux) will give Brashear his license, and as of Thursday, he had not yet applied for it. If Brashear applies and is licensed in time, he could fight as soon as Ringside 11 in Quebec City on June 4.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Donald-Brashear-s-next-career-move-MMA-fighter?urn=nhl-wp3221

Oh man, this is gonna end in disaster for Brashear. He is gonna get KILLED. Professional boxers can't hang in an MMA fight with REAL MMA fighters because it is a totally different sport. I am not sure what makes this washed up former NHL goon think he has a shot. I cannot wait to see the YouTube videos of him either being knocked out, choked out, or ground and pounded until a referee stoppage.

Oh man, this is gonna end in disaster for Brashear. He is gonna get KILLED. Professional boxers can't hang in an MMA fight with REAL MMA fighters because it is a totally different sport. I am not sure what makes this washed up former NHL goon think he has a shot. I cannot wait to see the YouTube videos of him either being knocked out, choked out, or ground and pounded until a referee stoppage.

I bet he doesn't actually see any big time fights, and is just thrown in there to fight chumps.

It's all about the publicity. I'm sure the promotion will protect Brashear since he's a relatively big name.

I bet he doesn't actually see any big time fights, and is just thrown in there to fight chumps.

It's all about the publicity. I'm sure the promotion will protect Brashear since he's a relatively big name.

Oh, it won't take a "big time" fighter for him to get pounded. Anyone that is fighting "professionally" in any MMA organization is capable of putting a spanking on Brashear. I hope he gets licensed, because it will be comical.

Oh, it won't take a "big time" fighter for him to get pounded. Anyone that is fighting "professionally" in any MMA organization is capable of putting a spanking on Brashear. I hope he gets licensed, because it will be comical.

I'm not so sure. Incredible athletes like Bob Sapp and Brock Lesnar have made the jump to MMA and K-1 in surprisingly easy fashion. Brashear isn't on the same level as those guys clearly, but the level or natural talent/ability that allowed Brashear to play in the NHL could make him a feasible MMA fighter.

In any case, I'd hope the promoter/his handlers wouldn't just send him out there to get killed, and I could see him being ok.

I'm not so sure. Incredible athletes like Bob Sapp and Brock Lesnar have made the jump to MMA and K-1 in surprisingly easy fashion. Brashear isn't on the same level as those guys clearly, but the level or natural talent/ability that allowed Brashear to play in the NHL could make him a feasible MMA fighter.

In any case, I'd hope the promoter/his handlers wouldn't just send him out there to get killed, and I could see him being ok.

Brock Lesnar was also a Division 1 National Wrestling Champ. That's a big advantage in MMA especially with his size and strength.

Brock Lesnar was also a Division 1 National Wrestling Champ. That's a big advantage in MMA especially with his size and strength.

True and those guys just have huge natural size/speed advantages. Perhaps a better comparison would be Herschel Walker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker#Mixed_martial_arts_career

Who is 2-0 against scrubs.

Calling MMA a "sport" is what brings out the chuckles in me.

Did you guys know that Brashear is a talented pianist?

Exactly. Comparing a monstrous man who was a D1 Champ to a washed up "hockey player" is insane. I don't doubt Brashear could whip some nobodies, but if he fights anyone half decent he will be exposed

Exactly. Comparing a monstrous man who was a D1 Champ to a washed up "hockey player" is insane. I don't doubt Brashear could whip some nobodies, but if he fights anyone half decent he will be exposed

The point is that all the comments about Brashear can't transition etc were brought up when Lesnar, Sapp, and Walker first tried to fight. All of them have made the transition to MMA without that much difficulty and have by and large found success.

Brashear is a natural athlete and a tough dude. I think he will be better than he's getting credit for here.

• 1 month later...

Brashear is a natural athlete and a tough dude. I think he will be better than he's getting credit for here.

I agree with this statement. There is 1 crappy quality clip of the fight on youtube but from what I can see......he owned. He wont be the next Rampage but he may end up doing alright with his MMA career.

What do you call it?

Ever trained MMA? Believe me you'll be calling it a sport after 1 day at a gym.

Better yet just go pay Jersey's own UFC LW Champ Frankie Edgar a visit.

If it takes any sort of athleticism, its a sport.

Go toe to toe with one of these dudes and then tell me it doesnt take you to be in the best physical shape of your life.