Birther Watch

Daniel

Releasing the pictures would be right given the controversy. I personally don't need to see them, however. I'll look at them if they are but there is no way our government would be so stupid to declare him dead like this if they didn't genuinely think they got him.

If they got the wrong man, we'll see a video of OBL holding up a newspaper declaring his death and embarrasing the Obama administration beyond belief. Since we haven't seen that yet, I doubt it will happen. So, either they got him in last weekend or he's been dead for a while and this is just a PR grab. Either way, the terrorist is dead, and deservedly so.

There is no chance in hell the administration would've come forward with this, in the manner in which they did, had they got the wrong man. None. The SEALs verified it, facial recognition software verified it, and obviously there are pictures. Pakistani news organizations are also stating that his 12 year old daughter who was in the room when he was killed verified it. As far as that aspect is concerned, that's more than enough for me.

I'm not moved either way by the pictures being released or not. If they were released, I'd look. If they're not, I'm not going to go on a conspiracy theory rampage. I personally believe that they will leak out someday. Considering this just happened, I don't personally believe it's necessary for them to be released right at this moment.

FWIW I agree that the photo's should be released. People should see the ugly side of war and that bastard didn't deserve the funeral he was given let alone censorship. But just because I disagree with the decision doesn't mean I think he wasn't killed or that it was some conspiracy.

People who need photo's to confirm his death are likely people who would not be convinced anyway. There is a narrative they have constructed in their head and damn the facts if they get in the way. Maybe this isn't you, but how many times did Obama have to prove his citizenship (as an example from this thread) and yet people still aren't convinced. The story is better then the truth sometimes.

Fair enough, I like to think of myself as more open-minded than the ones who continue to deny Obama's citizenship. Sure there will be people who will deny the photos' authenticity, but I wouldn't just immediately reject them unless they are proven to be photoshopped like the one that some British paper rolled out the other day.

So much for that I guess.

Spare me. Ba'Raq is the one politicizing it by "spiking the football" and miraculously finally showing up at Ground Zero for the first time as prez to gloat.

Pathetic.

Spare me. Ba'Raq is the one politicizing it by "spiking the football" and miraculously finally showing up at Ground Zero for the first time as prez to gloat.

Pathetic.

Bin Laden is killed on Obama's watch and you don't think the president is going to go to ground zero? You would be making the exact same argument if he didn't go. "wow the president doesn't even pay respects to the families and city that was attacked" :blahblah:

As for spiking the football, they could have kept the corpse, displayed it for everyone, they could have released photo's and video of the raid. If you consider visiting the families as 9/11 gloating well that's your prerogative, personally I think it's absolutely fitting.

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110505/downtown/president-obama-vows-help-911-teen-meet-justin-bieber/slideshow/popup/75117

Sure it's fitting..........on September 11, 2009, September 11, 2010.......but no, couldn't make it those days. It's a plain miracle he shows up gloating after saying he wouldn't gloat.

There is no political bounce.

Sure it's fitting..........on September 11, 2009, September 11, 2010.......but no, couldn't make it those days. It's a plain miracle he shows up gloating after saying he wouldn't gloat.

There is no political bounce.

Then why aren't you equally as upset that Bush didn't attend 9/11 anniversaries 2,3,4,6, and 7? How about decrying him for declining the invite to join Obama now? What a frivolous argument you are making. Do you judge FDR or Truman on how many they visited pearl harbor on Dec 7th anniversaries?

The point that matters is he is there now, and by all accounts those in attendance say it was an exceptionally touching moment and they appreciate his time. Leave it at that rather then trying to making something political that really doesn't need to be, ie. take some advice from JL from 4 days ago.

Edited by squishyx

It tells me that Obama is more interested in "placating" those who hate the U.S. than acquiescing to the citizens' wishes. The notion that released photos will make terrorists more vengeful is so nonsensical. Basically, Obama carries the ball 90 yards then fumbles at the goal line.

pretty much this

It tells me that Obama is more interested in "placating" those who hate the U.S. than acquiescing to the citizens' wishes. The notion that released photos will make terrorists more vengeful is so nonsensical. Basically, Obama carries the ball 90 yards then fumbles at the goal line.

pretty much this

Really? You guys think after near 10 years of exhaustive searching, the president ordering the strike that killed the worlds most wanted man is equivalent to fumbling after 90 yards because he didn't release photo's?

Pretty sure if I was forced to make a terrible football analogy to sum up the situation this is like winning the Superbowl but your lineman miss the head coach and douse the assistant with Gatorade instead. The idea that not releasing photo's somehow undermines the whole operation is absurd.

Why do people need to see the pictures? Is it necessary to release pictures of a potentially unrecognizable face with half his forehead blown off? Those people that don't believe he's dead won't believe it even if pictures were released or they will find something else to complain about. When Al Qaida and Osama's own family agree he's dead that's more than enough for me. The scum we are fighting parade the dead in the streets and celebrate, we should be better than that.

Edited by mrthemike

Even Dick Cheney is saying it's not a huge deal for the picture to not be released. Me personally, it would satisfying to see the photo, but I'm not getting all too excited about it.

Also Jimmy, I might be wrong, but I believe Obama was under court order to release the detainee abuse photos. He might be forced to do the same thing with the Bin Laden photo.

Also Jimmy, I might be wrong, but I believe Obama was under court order to release the detainee abuse photos. He might be forced to do the same thing with the Bin Laden photo.

He was most definitely court ordered to do so. He also asked the Supreme Court to BLOCK the release. Initially, he wanted them to be released, but changed his stance once he saw them.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2009/05/13/uk-obama-abuse-photos-idUKTRE54C54T20090513

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/13/AR2009051301751.html

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/25926.html

The government had no problem with us seeing a captured American soldier beheaded, we saw Americans jumping to their death on the news on 9/11, plus we saw pictures of Saddam Hussein's sons when they were killed, but now they won't show us proof that bin Laden is dead. That combined with the fact that the reports said it happened a week ago and then the president said Sunday that he made the call that day, plus the constant changing of the story is starting to make me wonder what the hell is really going on.

1. The government had no control over us seeing American soldiers/Nick Berg/that older man/and Daniel Pearl beheaded. Those were released by terrorists on the internet.

2. The 9/11 jumper footage was on the news. The government doesn't control the media. It was also a lot of amateur footage from eyewitnesses. Just as Saddam's hanging was captured on a cell phone camera from a witness.

3. We only saw pictures of the dead Hussein sons after they were at the morticians and cleaned up. Saddam was also on the run at the time and were released for psychological impact to help us aid in catching him, perhaps instigating a surrender, plus we were invaders in a foreign land. Those pictures were for the Iraqis more than for us. We were still in the middle of a war with a defined enemy. The war on terror is not a traditional invasion war that has a definitive ending in sight.

1. See the three links posted above. Obama tried to BLOCK the detainee photos from being released and as Daniel pointed out was court ordered to do so after a motion by the ACLU.

2. What is the problem with releasing photos of coffins? It was an 18 year old policy that was never in place during a WAR. There are countless pictures of coffins from virtually every major conflict we've ever been a part of. A bunch of flag draped coffins shows to me how high the price we are paying for being involved in any conflict. Its important to show that we're paying for a war not just with tax dollars, but with blood. What about all the pictures and video of soldiers in body bags during Vietnam? Ridiculous to argue against.

3. You're seemingly angry over symbolism. The flag is not raised at Gitmo? And this effects us how? Considering Gitmo is a strategic point since its not on US shores and is housing dozens of enemies as well as a base, I dont see how this is a bad thing. Ridiculous and silly thing to cry foul over.

Edited by ghdi

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.