Bin Laden is Dead

I just turned the news channels on and that is what they are reporting

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Osama Bin Laden (Upper Body Injury) - Will not Return

In all seriousness, thank you to anyone on here or who has family who has served or is serving. You are the true Heroes, not the suits in Washington who are trying desperately to benefit from your sacrifices.

I won't be convinced until I have an opportunity to review the long-form birth certificate personally.

EDIT: The icing on the cake is that Obama got to interrupt Celebrity Apprentice. I wouldn't blame him if he sat on the news for an hour or so for timing purposes.

Edited by Daniel

Osama Bin Laden (Upper Body Injury) - Will not Return

HAHAHA awesome!!

In all seriousness, thank you to anyone on here or who has family who has served or is serving. You are the true Heroes, not the suits in Washington who are trying desperately to benefit from your sacrifices.

Very well said. This wasn't Obama, this wasn't Bush, this was our armed forces. They are the ones that deserve all the credit.

I'm sure as hell happy this monster is dead, but it doesn't mean my Uncle Jim didn't die in the World Trade Center.

I didn't lose anyone that day but I agree. Watching the news, they are talking about people that lost loved ones and all this, well killing Osama isn't going to bring them back.

True, but it wasn't so long ago that this type of operation wouldn't have been approved for fear of upsetting local sensitivities and such. So while I'd buy the guy who put the bullet in Bin Laden's brain a beer before the President, it is an example of the President doing things correctly from his end.

Very well said. This wasn't Obama, this wasn't Bush, this was our armed forces. They are the ones that deserve all the credit.

No one can take away anything from our armed forces, but be serious here.

Everyone involved with this operation deserves credit for this. From the first person that received the intelligence and the rest of the intelligence community, to the President for making the call to launch the operation, to the team on the ground that executed the operation. Obviously, the guys in harm's way both involved in the operation and serving in other posts throughout the region deserve the utmost gratitude, but everyone involved is deserving of credit.

This was a success on all fronts in respect to this episode.

The GAME OVER photo is very premature. The game just goes into the next phase now. Bin Laden was only a figurehead and mostly symbolic. Now we wait and see what the backlash is and if these a$$holes decide to take another shot at us or other countries who supported getting rid of him and others like him.

Its exciting and wonderful that bin Laden is gone, but someone will take his place, whether he has the same clout is yet to be seen. Hopefully, we can strike him down a lot quicker.

Everyone involved with this operation deserves credit for this. From the first person that received the intelligence and the rest of the intelligence community, to the President for making the call to launch the operation, to the team on the ground that executed the operation. Obviously, the guys in harm's way both involved in the operation and serving in other posts throughout the region deserve the utmost gratitude, but everyone involved is deserving of credit.

This was a success on all fronts in respect to this episode.

Its exciting and wonderful that bin Laden is gone, but someone will take his place, whether he has the same clout is yet to be seen. Hopefully, we can strike him down a lot quicker.

What pissed me off to no end was how at his little speech, the President acted as if he woke up one day with this epiphany to go and get Bin Laden and his continuous use of "I's" only fueled my disgust for the way it was written.

As you pointed out, this is the absolute definition of a team effort to get that son of a b!tch. But the way, to me at least, it came across when the cameras were turned on was "look what I did."

Just my humble/tired opinion

No one can take away anything from our armed forces, but be serious here.

Everyone involved with this operation deserves credit for this. From the first person that received the intelligence and the rest of the intelligence community, to the President for making the call to launch the operation, to the team on the ground that executed the operation.

What US president would not have launced the operation? Did Obama or Bush really do anything other than say, "Yeah, go get him."?

Also...

https://www.youtube.com/user/RomanticSingles#p/a/u/0/n-Luh-kd5pQ

Edited by devilsfan26

What US president would not have launced the operation? Did Obama or Bush really do anything other than say, "Yeah, go get him."?

Richard Clarke has been quoting as stating that Bush dropped the ball on bin Laden because he was more focused on Iraq and ignored things that may have led to his capture sooner, whether this is true or not, I don't know and merely stating what I've read. During Obama's 2008 campaign, he stated ad nauseum that his #1 priority in the region was bin Laden. Let's not forget that we've been after bin Laden for almost 20 years in one way, shape, or form. He started defining his strategy during the Reagan administration. He launched attacks against us and allies in the Clinton administration, who also made attempts at killing him. He launched the worst attack on US civilians in history during the Bush administration, who basically launched a war against him. He was caught during the Obama administration.

Speaking purely politics, this is the biggest moment in Obama's presidency. Just as presidents get the blame for bad things when they are in charge, they get the props when good things occur. He is the one who made the call to launch the operation. I agree that the troops deserve the most thanks, but just as 9/11 was an intelligence failure, the killing of bin Laden was an intelligence success. Politically speaking, this is the equivalent of a late goal in respect to his national security credentials. Not many presidents can say that they were on watch when arguably the most famous "bad guy" in the world was killed.

I personally don't think that this is a big deal in the greater scope of things, but if it gives one 9/11 survivor or family a better night's sleep it was entirely worth it. We're still going to be over there. Soldiers are going to continue to die and attacks are going to be planned and hopefully thwarted. And the most telling quote? "Osama’s death will have the same effect on Al-Qaeda as Crock dying had on McDonald’s. The franchise has already been built.”

Edited by ghdi

Not many presidents can say that they were on watch when arguably the most famous "bad guy" in the world was killed.

You could have picked just about any American and he or she would have done the same exact thing Obama did with regards to this. That's why he doesn't deserve credit. It's just a matter of timing. If he was killed before Obama was elected I would have said Bush didn't deserve any credit either.

You could have picked just about any American and he or she would have done the same exact thing Obama did with regards to this. That's why he doesn't deserve credit. It's just a matter of timing. If he was killed before Obama was elected I would have said Bush didn't deserve any credit either.

The difference between "just about any American" is that not just any American is President and privy to the intelligence. We also don't know the level of intelligence they had. Obama stated he first was briefed on this possibility in August, and it obviously wasn't strong enough then. Had Obama decided not to launch the operation, he'd receive blame, or if the intelligence was off and he decided to launch and we lost the opportunity/lives and he gets away. Just as Clinton gets blamed for not going hard enough in the late 90s and Bush gets blamed for his miscues. It cuts both ways.

Everyone involved in this deserves credit, some more than others, but credit is due the President. Just as its due to the intelligence community, the people on the ground in Pakistan who fed this intelligence to us, and ultimately to the armed forces who executed the operation and continue to stay over there putting themselves at risk. Not to give the President at least a small iota of credit is a disservice to the office. I applaud him for having the patience to ensure this operation was a success and even more to the people on the ground who put themselves at risk.

I don't know man, it just seems like you're looking for a reason to give Obama props. Given the intelligence that this was such a high possibility, I don't know what American would have said nah hold off on this.

One thing that has me scratching my head is that Obama said he gave the go-ahead today while the reports said he was killed a week ago. What gives?

Edited by devilsfan26

Shouldn't the Donald be taking credit for this sometime shortly? So nice to see the country feeling really good about itself (especially our youth)

And yup, thanks Mr. President!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.