Tsn Devils Off-Season Report

msweet

It was a shockingly disappointing 2010-2011 season for the New Jersey Devils, the first year since 1995-1996 that they missed the playoffs, but with a veteran-laden squad and heavy salary commitments, it looks like one more last-ditch effort with the current core is the way to go.

Off-Season Game Plan looks at a Devils team that may be one year from really undergoing a serious roster overhaul.

The first order of business for the Devils, it seems, is to find another head coach. After trying John MacLean last year, then replacing MacLean with Jacques Lemaire, the Devils might just be better off with Lemaire sticking around.

Since he isn't, the Devils could go one of two ways, hiring a veteran coach, which makes sense given the veteran-laden roster, or going for an up-and-comer, which seems less likely given the poor results (9-22-2) with MacLean.

Should they try the latter plan, former Devil and current Montreal assistant coach, Kirk Muller has been considered to be ready for his turn as an NHL head coach.

If it's the former, there have been reports that Ken Hitchcock is a consideration. Not only would he certainly fit the desire to have a proven bench boss to lead this veteran group, Hitchcock is more adept with a veteran group and it's not like Devils players would bristle at the thought of playing a rigid defensive style.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=364617

the writer thinks that burying rolston in the minors eliminates his cap hit - it doesn't (obviously).

he talks about how the devils defense is a weak spot but that's really only based on offense from the defense. we've discussed often on this board how the defense - that is keeping the puck out of the net - is actually pretty good.

he does have some good points too - i was just picking out two pieces that didn't jibe with reality.

Yeah, White's burial in the article made no sense. And the goalies got kinda buried. Their second halves were as hard to ignore as their first halves (especially in Marty's case) were awful.

The easiest read on the Devils is 1) they can't score (although missing Parise erases 20+ goals they don't get back, hell, probably more like 25 with the rate the other guys score at) and 2) they don't have anything resembling a PMD. You almost have to junk everything that happened in the first half. It's possible they could be a mediocre .500ish team they ended up being this year, but that's never going to happen again. They were historically bad.

Not a terrible write-up but there were definitely a few spots where you could tell he doesn't watch many Devils games (burial of White, especially). Mildly impressed that he kind of sounded like he knew what he was talking about wrt Palmieri, Taormina, etc. Agree with sundstrom that his assessment of the D in general is off - they were one of the best groups defensively in the second half and they deserve recognition for that. We just need them to generate a little more offense. Fayne, Tallinder, and Taormina can do this, as long as they are given the opportunity (Greene is eh, but I'm not sure if he's coming back). Taormina might even be a decent PP guy. I know it's wishful thinking but he looked good in his very short first NHL season. I really hope he gets a full, healthy season this year so that we can have a better idea of what he can do. Hopefully Fayne doesn't have a sophomore slump, either.

Also, lol @ the Laffs fan in the comments who suggested "Parise and a 1st for Schenn"... Moron.

"Nearly 39, Martin Brodeur is no longer an elite puck-stopper and his slippage is only amplified by the questionable defence playing in front of him."

Ouch. I still feel he is not done. Some may disagree. I would love to see him put up some stellar numbers next year.

"Nearly 39, Martin Brodeur is no longer an elite puck-stopper and his slippage is only amplified by the questionable defence playing in front of him."

Ouch. I still feel he is not done. Some may disagree. I would love to see him put up some stellar numbers next year.

Never know with goalies. Look at Tim Thomas...everyone had him as Rask's backup for good. Now he is a vezina candidate and the likely winner.

It has Elias ranked higher than Kovalchuk. And Rolston is above Zajac.

TSN's ratings are absolutely obscene.

What is wrong about this? Elias is clearly the better all around player.

The issue with Rolston is that he missed 20+ games and still had more PP points and GWG than Zajac.

What is wrong about this? Elias is clearly the better all around player.

The issue with Rolston is that he missed 20+ games and still had more PP points and GWG than Zajac.

rolston had more PP points because the puck went through him on the power play. zajac was the man in the box and probably touched the puck least out of anyone on the PP besides the box man on the 2nd unit. game winning goals is basically a meaningless stat.

rolston had more PP points because the puck went through him on the power play. zajac was the man in the box and probably touched the puck least out of anyone on the PP besides the box man on the 2nd unit. game winning goals is basically a meaningless stat.

Agreed with GWG.