Keith Kinkaid could one day replace idol Martin Brodeur

Rock

Devils prospect Keith Kinkaid could one day replace idol Martin Brodeur

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/05/devils_prospect_keith_kinkaid.html

Keith Kinkaid, an undrafted 21-year-old from Long Island, attended the game along with his father John as guests of the Devils. Coveted by several NHL clubs when he recently decided to leave Union College in Schenectady, N.Y., after his sophomore season, Kinkaid got to meet the goalie whose poster had once hung on his bedroom wall.

“I came down a week before I made my decision, and I actually got to meet Marty Brodeur. That was pretty cool because he was my idol growing up,” Kinkaid said. “Then I met Chris Terreri, the goaltending coach.”

“He’s a legitimate prospect, an outstanding prospect,” Lamoriello said of Kinkaid. “He’s an All-American in college. He’s had two outstanding years and he’s gotten better. He decided he wanted to leave school and we had interest in him. We didn’t encourage him to leave. Like all the other teams that were interested in him, we spoke to him and he chose the Devils.”

Why was he overlooked in the draft?

“Maybe because I wasn’t in the USHL as a 17-year-old. I played in the North American Hockey League, and I guess people don’t look at that and see it like the USHL,” Kinkaid said. “I think I was more of a late bloomer and kind of under everyone’s radar. It wasn’t a bad thing that I didn’t get drafted.”

Said Lamoriello: “There is no mad science to it. He played well when he was young. He just got overlooked.”

No pressure or nothing. :whistling: LOL.

Oh crap, I just saw this:

John Kinkaid was a Bryan Trottier fan growing up. Even when the family no longer had seats, John would take a very young Keith to five to 10 games a season and bought his son an Eric Fichaud jersey.“I saw every Stanley Cup Final game at home except the one they lost to Edmonton, 1-0, in 1984,” John Kinkaid said. “I had a final that night in college and couldn’t go to the game.

That was back in the days of Sports Phone. The professor kept saying, ‘Where are you going?’ Every five or 10 minutes, I was putting a dime in the phone to find out what the score was.”

Ha-ha, who remembers Sports Phone?!! Back in the 80s, before 24-hour sports-talk radio and way before the Internet, we used to call 976-1313 to get our sports updates. The phone number was even part of the radio/TV commercial jingle, LOL.

Edited by 95Crash

didn't this guy get a vezina? (and i think brodeur was in the running too), if so what a joke, one year wonder

He did. He had a hell of a year, too. He could just never get that magic back. He bounced to Boston and St Louis before hanging them up when he was only 25 or 26.