All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. All purpose general trade speculation thread

They'd definitely want a D coming back, so if it's not Severson, it'd be Butcher. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. All purpose general trade speculation thread

I think you're giving up one of Severson, Bratt or maybe even Zacha if they value him highly, plus a McLeod/Quenneville and a first. I just don't trust Shero with dmen yet and Severson has been in the Hynes doghouse a few times in the last few years. You'd have to move Severson or Vatanen (they just got him so that's not happening) even if they do get Karlsson. Not enough minutes, especially if Karlsson is playing 25 mins a night.
  4. GDT: Columbus @ Devils 7:00 PM

That might be considered cruel and unusual punishment...
  5. GDT: Columbus @ Devils 7:00 PM

I hope Hynes is forcing the team to watch the last game against Columbus & saying you've got a point to prove. Get out there and annihilate 'em. LGD!
  6. All purpose general trade speculation thread

Sorry, misunderstood. I don't know about that. Ottawa's talent evaluation perplexes me quite often, especially regarding their D. Severson doesn't seem like a guy Boucher would fawn over.
  7. Olympic Hockey

Yes there is really no interest in it at all. Stands are empty, the quality of play is 3rd rate. Really without NHL players they should've just cancelled Olympic hockey this year. After watching the skill lever of the pro's since 1998, there is really no way to go back.
  8. All purpose general trade speculation thread

My point is that I don't think you can get Karlsson without Severson
  9. All purpose general trade speculation thread

This is significantly less than I assumed it would be. Severson, Quenneville, Joey Anderson, 2018 1st, 2019 2nd for Karlsson & Ryan (25% retained)?
  10. All purpose general trade speculation thread

Looney things happen when you have an owner like Eugene Melnyk, I'm not surprised at all that getting rid of Ryan's contract would hold a lot of value for that franchise because of their internal cap.
  11. All purpose general trade speculation thread

NJ would essentially need a surplus down the road to retain everyone, and then also have the money to keep Karlsson and cover Ryan's first 4 years. That's difficult if Bratt continues to develop into the player he has hinted he can be. Hall and Karlsson would command a huge chunk of the cap alone and it looks like Nico, thank God, is going to get paid as well.
  12. New York Mets 2017-18 offseason thread

I still don't think long term it will be enforced at all. Though in the immediate future I'm sure jerks like Angel Hernandez will love it as it gives him more opportunities to get under peoples skin and force his will on the games. Eventually it will sort of be forgotten and fade away. I mean technically I believe there is a rule that states the pitcher throw the ball within 12 seconds of obtaining it from the catcher
  13. All purpose general trade speculation thread

With a Ryan buyout we're also not considering the Devils potentially squeezing a year or two out of him before buying him out, if say the buyout occurs in July 2020 we'd only be on the hook for 4 years instead of the 6 years that would be remaining if we bought him out immediately. It's just an interesting option, I'm all in favor of continuing to use our cap space as a commodity while we have it to acquire top pieces but I do understand cap space disappears quickly, it's a tough juggling act but with the cap going up presumably over the next couple years I think it's something we could squeeze.
  14. All purpose general trade speculation thread

We need LD, but I don't think you'd have a problem finding a team with a LHD of similar age and contract wanting to trade for Severson. You might even make a net profit given the scarcity of the position (ie getting several teams in on it).
  15. All purpose general trade speculation thread

I think you let Ryan play until those three need new deals (2020) and then either hope he's LTIR or buy him out then and save a couple of those buyout years. I have a few problems with making a move for Karlsson: A. We need LD much more than RD B. Don't like all those foot/ankle injuries C. Severson would likely be part part of the package going back and he fits our core's timeline much better.
  16. All purpose general trade speculation thread

So it's basically adding on to Karlsson's 8 year extension - if you pay him $10M, you are basically paying him $9M in year 1, $13M in year 2-4, and then $12M in years 5-7. Alternately, the Devils could try to see if compliance buyouts are part of the next suppression of player salaries work stoppage. Under this framework, I think Severson, Clowe, Quenneville and this year's 1st (lottery protected) for Karlsson-Ryan would suffice. But Ottawa really should not be considering trades like this.
  17. All purpose general trade speculation thread

My thoughts exactly. Shero won't mortgage the future
  18. All purpose general trade speculation thread

2020/21 is the (potentially) tough year when Hall, Bratt and Nico need new deals. And you probably have Karlsson making double digits.
  19. All purpose general trade speculation thread

Yeah, it's tough to eat that much for that long, but with the cap going up I think the reward outweighs the cost if it's a domino that has to fall to get a player like Karlsson
  20. All purpose general trade speculation thread

Buying out Ryan costs you 3.58 x 4 and then 1.83 x 4. Hm.
  21. All purpose general trade speculation thread

While I agree, 7.25/y for 5 more seasons is an unreal expense that a young team with players we'll need to pay (RFA Zacha/Wood/Butcher/Nico/Bratt, UFA Karlsson/Hall/Vatanen) well before his contract expires. If there's no salary retained in the Ryan deal, that's a tough contract to deal with.
  22. All purpose general trade speculation thread

LTIR or just buy him out and eat the dead cap, I think it's easily worth getting a player of Karlsson's ilk
  23. GDT: Columbus @ Devils 7:00 PM

Wreck Dubinsky. Hate that guy and he always seems to score a bunch vs us. He's one of the biggest cowardly cheap shot artists in the game
  24. All purpose general trade speculation thread

The other thing you hear from Ottawa fans is that his hands are shot. So it could be an LTIR situation by the time you have to give Karlsson an extension.
  25. Wood suspended two games

Injury matters to me because, unlike the on-ice call, you have the benefit of hindsight. I don’t think people should get suspended for violations that are already covered by the rules in terms of on ice penalties AND there is no intent AND there is no injury. I don’t think the game needs to be policed that thoroughly. If you think it should, maybe all hitting should be taken out of the game. Which it almost has been. Not to say if a guy keeps hitting guys from behind into the boards something shouldn’t be done. It goes to intent. Nobody believes Hall deliberately drove that guy into the wall from behind, for example. Maybe a fine for the first 2 offenses and by the third strike, you know the guy is just an a-hole. But that’s just me.
  26. Wood suspended two games

Are you out of your mind? Wood took like fifty strides and jumped into a guy whose numbers were showing the whole time. I wouldn't have complained if he got 5 games
  1. Load more activity