Brodeur says young guns need to step up

msweet

MONTREAL - Martin Brodeur says Team Canada's old guard will be looking to the young blood in the locker-room to lead the country to Olympic gold in Vancouver.

The 37-year-old New Jersey Devils netminder says he won't know many of the baby-faced players expected to make the squad for the 2010 Winter Games.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=13458.html?cid=rsstsn

MONTREAL - Martin Brodeur says Team Canada's old guard will be looking to the young blood in the locker-room to lead the country to Olympic gold in Vancouver.

The 37-year-old New Jersey Devils netminder says he won't know many of the baby-faced players expected to make the squad for the 2010 Winter Games.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=13458.html?cid=rsstsn

Was I the only one hoping that Brodeur was talking about the Devs?

Game 7 aside... .can we get a Marty quote about the Devils for the upcoming season? He doesn't seem to be all that interested.

Okay, that's going a little far. He wasn't asked about the Devils- he was asked by a Canadian news agency specifially about Team Canada. Notice he said he's excited that Lemaire is back when asked about that.

I'm just not liking his whole aura... I mean after game 7 when he was quoted as saying "at the end of the day, it's just a game" He's not around the team otherwise with no interviews.. ever see Marty doing signings outside of mandatory events? Ever see Marty visiting local hospitals with the rest of the team? Maybe he has done these things, but I have seen him do nothing. If you read his book, there's hardly anything Devils in there. Almost the whole book is about the olympics and Canada. Maybe I'm missing something... I also remember the thread a few months ago with people telling their stories about what kind of a jerk he is when they've met him.

I'm just not liking his whole aura... I mean after game 7 when he was quoted as saying "at the end of the day, it's just a game"

He said the same thing when we lost to the Penguins in 1999, or something very similar - and he had a much worse playoff series then. The next year we won a Cup, that's not a big deal. It's who he is, being calm by nature means you're calm when you lose as well as when you win.

Most of the off-ice stuff you named has nothing to do with on-ice performance and really us hockey fans are spoiled with just how low-maintenance the athletes are when someone like Marty (whose biggest off-ice issue was a public affair and he's never had locker room issues - at least not known - the way Roy or Hasek did) qualifies as egotistical and high-maintenance.

Edited by Hasan4978