GDT: 11/07 Providence @ Lowell

Birch

I got home too late to hear the game, but here is the game sheet.

Goals:

1. LOW Walter, (3) (Perkovich, Zharkov), 17:38

1. LOW Davis, (2) , 18:51

3. LOW Perkovich, (2) (Zharkov, Corrente), 4:12

No write up yet on the Lowell website.

Recap from the Bruins site.

And it looks like the T-Devs beat Elmira 5 - 4. :evil:

Edited by Birch

I got home too late to hear the game, but here is the game sheet.

<Big snip.>

And it looks like the T-Devs beat Elmira 5 - 4. :evil:

Yeah, sweet! :yay::yea: The T-Devils beat Elmira, the L-Devils whipped the Prunes, and the NJ-Devils outvoted the Senators. Rare when that happens. Best when the minor league teams both win, of course. :P

The Defense showed up. Queue the Halleluia Chorus, please.

This was a very tame game, nothing like the Prunes I remember from, say, 2007-08, who totally pwned the L-Devils. Heard somebody describe the game as "watching paint dry" -- but maybe he came to watch Boston's AHL affiliate and thought they'd put on a show. Davison should have drawn a roughing, there were a couple of uncalled charging and slashing penalties, but it wasn't as brutal as, for instance, the three Springfield games. Robitaille and Cormier couldn't find dance partners, although Cormier did give somebody a facewash in the 3rd period. Cozzan -- yeah, the same guy who over-called the first period in Albany on Friday night -- only called one penalty, the linesman caught the BMI. Wonder if the supe threatened to take away Cozzan's whistle. :giggle: They might have been in a hurry to leave town, too, they trimmed at least 30 seconds off both intermissions.

Not much of a crowd, a few kids, heard a pro-Prunes cheer once. But it's early in the season and there was a Ruins game on TV. The Tewksbury Mite 2 team was really sweet at intermission, nobody scored but they played really good D too, for Mites. ;)

Mills was a scratch again, and Castonguay. Can't believe they'd be sitting in Section T signing autographs for the Arlington Youth Hockey kids if they were able to skate. Get well, guys!

Starters:

Davison, Eckford; Vasyunov-Gionta-Palmieri; Frazee.

Lines -- good thing my spy took notes.

The lines were mixed quite freely most of the game. Cormier and Robitaille might have been on the ice less than average, Walter wasn't out as much 1st period but made up for it later. Davis and Gionta got more time, Davis was pretty much everywhere all the time. Except for the #1 line they were shuffled up almost every face-off.

I'll guess it was supposed to go something like this:

Vasyunov-Gionta-Palmieri

Zharkov-(Walter)-Perkovich [started off the 2nd and 3rd period]

Snetsinger-Swift-(Cormier)

(Robitaille)-Davis-Kell

Mule teams: these combinations didn't mix nearly as much as the forwards!

Davison-Eckford

Magnan-Corrente

Cohen-Taormina -- yes, a pair of rookies, but they complemented each other nicely

PP, 0 for 1.

Perkovich-Walter-Swift, Eckford-Corrente

Vasyunov-Davis-??, Cohen-Taormina (not sure, maybe Palmieri or Snetsinger)

PK

Gionta-Zharkov, Corrente-Magnan

Walter-Davis, Davison-Eckford

First goal was a nice feed from the right wing corner, tipped in from the left goal post. Zharkov did the digging to set it up.

Davis was the second goal, what an unsung hero he's been all 4 years, this time he tried a wraparound at the left post and it looked to me like it bounced in off another Devils stick. But since Diddy got credit for an Unassisted, must have bounced in off the goalie or a Prunes player, my spy says it could have been the goalie. Anyway, 100% Davis start to finish.

Third goal, a lot like the first goal, Zharkov's feed from the right wing circle tipped in at the left post by Perkovich.

There was one scary moment, 2nd period, Davison was clearing the puck from behind the Devils' net and it looked like it went up into Eckford's face, but no blood and no stoppage and Eckford stayed in the game.

Former Lowell Lock Monster goalie Dany Sabourin was the Prunes backup, sat in the tunnel with the clipboard all night. But nothing the goalie could have done about any of the goals, the Devils outplayed the Prunes tonight at least as well as Hoishey outplayed the 'evils Wednesday night. That lopsided, that good. Then again, the Prunes aren't at the top of the Division right now. But still, 2 points is nice.

Devils recap

Prunes recap