Q&A: Devils prospect Zach Parise

sw61776

Zach Parise is a rookie with the Albany River Rats who turned pro after just a couple of seasons at the University of North Dakota. The 2003 first-round pick (17th overall) by the New Jersey Devils is a team-orientated player who is making an immediate impact in the AHL. FOXSports.com caught up with the future NHLer recently.

FOXSports.com: Coming from Minnesota how did you pick the University of North Dakota and not UMD or another school in your home state?

Zach Parise: When I went on a visit it just seemed like the place that I wanted to go. I liked the coaching staff and the players that were there, and they have a winning tradition.

FOXSports.com: Your first game in the NCAA you scored four points. What do you remember from that game?

ZP: Everything just fell into place; the goals came off rebounds that came right to me. Things were just falling into place for me.

FOXSports.com: You decided to turn professional after just two years of college, how did you come to that decision?

ZP: It seemed like the best thing to do in my development. I could go on and play more games against stronger competition. I talked with my dad and it just seemed like the right thing to do.

FOXSports.com: Do you want to finish your education?

ZP: I want to go back, and it's important to me. I want to go to summer school and get my degree. That's important to me.

FOXSports.com: You have played on several different USA teams. When you were with the USA developmental program, how hard was it playing, going to high school, and traveling all year?

ZP: I got the best of both worlds when I was in high school. I played with my prep school and we went on a European trip, but it was difficult. I missed three weeks at a time, but the teachers were good about it. I learned to manage my time pretty well.

FOXSports.com: With both the under-18 team and the under-20 team you won gold medals. What was that like?

ZP: The under-18 team gold medal was awesome, especially because we were the first team to do that. I thought that was going to be the best thing ever, and then all of the sudden two years later we get all the guys back and we go and win the World Junior Championship. Both of them were pretty awesome.

FOXSports.com: What was the feeling when you were named the tournament MVP for the World Junior Championships last year?

ZP: It was great, but most important, we won the tournament. That was my goal. We came home with the gold medal, and that's what we went to do. That was the best part about it.

FOXSports.com: Your dad (J.P.) had a successful career both playing and coaching in the NHL. How big of an influence was he on you?

ZP: Huge! My brother and I grew up in a hockey household. My dad helped us both through out our careers. We have been very fortunate.

FOXSports.com: How do you compare your style of play to your fathers?

ZP: A lot different, a lot different. He is more of grinder/corner guy. It was a different game back than and he would be one of the first to tell you he wasn't the most talented player. We just have different styles.

FOXSports.com: What was the feeling when you heard your name at the draft?

ZP: To be honest I didn't hear it. All I heard was the University of North Dakota and the fans started cheering. I didn't know it was me, it could have been someone else from the University of North Dakota, but it was awesome.

FOXSports.com: After going up on the stage, what was the rest of the day like for you?

ZP: You go around and take what seems to be about two hours worth of pictures, but it was pretty fun. Then you just go out and enjoy the rest of the time that you are there.

FOXSports.com: You are averaging just over a point per game in the AHL. What do you think your success has been to?

ZP: Just hard work, I am just trying to help this team out the best that I can. I think things are falling into place so far, but it's still early in the season.

FOXSports.com: Halloween just passed. Growing up what was your favorite costume?

ZP: Rambo!

FOXSports.com: Finish this sentence: Land of the ...

ZP: Fighting Sioux

Fox Sports